News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Emulation on a PS2?

Started by Shaun M. Neary, 20:03, 17 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

So I soft modded my dusty ol PS2 last month.

Got some of my old favourites running off a Hard Drive, but I'm wondering if there's an emulator available for it.
Or if someone has already compiled a disk for PS2 that I can obtain? xD
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mr_lou

Had it been a PS3 you could have run a NES emulator (among other things) on it using standard blu-ray java.  :)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:21, 18 November 15
Had it been a PS3 you could have run a NES emulator (among other things) on it using standard blu-ray java.  :)

I have a PS3, I just haven't had a chance to look into modding it. I use it for WWE Network too, so backdating the firmware may lose that feature, which I'd use more than emulating the CPC.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dragon

mr_lou

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:09, 19 November 15I have a PS3, I just haven't had a chance to look into modding it. I use it for WWE Network too, so backdating the firmware may lose that feature, which I'd use more than emulating the CPC.

I missed this reply for some reason.

Just wanna make sure there's no confusion: You can totally run an Amstrad CPC emulator on both PS3, PS4 and XB1 using standard Blu-ray technology. This doesn't require you to mod your console. Blu-ray stuff runs out-of-the-box. Doesn't matter which firmware you're on either.

(You do not need a modded PS3 or any specific firmware to run 8-bit Memoirs either. It will run from disc on any version of a PS3).

It's true that you need a jailbroken PS3 in order to run native homebrew. And that's exactly why Blu-ray Disc Java is awesome: Your console was designed to run this - no modding needed. It was literally one of the purposes of creating BD-J: To run games on your Blu-ray player.

Of course, no one has (yet) actually made an Amstrad CPC emulator for Blu-ray, but there are other examples out there proving that it's definitely possible; like a
NES emulator and a
Gameboy emulator. Not too impressed with the framerate on the GB emulator, but the NES one seems to run extremely well.

Modding your PS3 is only necessary if you want to run Blu-ray stuff from the internal harddisk instead of from a Blu-ray disc. A jailbroken PS3 can run Blu-ray ISO's from the BDISO folder of Multiman for example. (So I've been told. I don't actually own a PS3 myself, much less a jailbroken one).

So all we need to run Amstrad games on modern gaming consoles, is that someone makes a Blu-ray Disc Java version of an emulator. Could be based on JavaCPC or JEMU. Should definitely be possible. And there's plenty of room for all games and demos ever made on one 25gb disc.... ( I think ? ).

If anyone ever decides to look into such a project, I am of course available for assistance and willing to share all the knowledge about Blu-ray Disc Java that I acquired while creating 8-bit Memoirs.  :)

You can also go to http://www.blu-play.com to get started.
Lots of useful links there.

Shaun M. Neary

Actually good to know, however I don't own a BD burner, nor do I have any desire to get one.
I've a GX4000 beside it now, and that works perfectly.  ;)

Appreciate the response though, thank you.