News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC on the Rasberry Pi

Started by Maskedman, 20:33, 10 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:42, 24 January 14
I compiled Arnold TNG last night on the Pi. And with the latest raspbian, with accelerated x, I get very close to native speeds when using the turbo over clock (1 GHz and 6volt)
Now if we can get opengl on the pi

Regards
Craig

Did I understand you correctly, A 1Ghz RPi emulates a 3.3Mhz CPC at almost real hardware speed?

arnoldemu

Quote from: steve on 14:59, 25 January 14
Did I understand you correctly, A 1Ghz RPi emulates a 3.3Mhz CPC at almost real hardware speed?
Emulating a cpc is not just the z80 ;)
You need to emulate the crtc, fdc, all the components ;)
And if you want accurate display, you need to emulate the monitor too.
One of the limiting factors on the pi, is probably how the emulator (my emulator arnold) updates the display. It draws to a buffer and probably software copies it to the display.
I haven't looked at speeding up that version of the emulator for the pi. Not yet.
I have however run my wip emulator on the pi and it runs, well slow - still because I haven't done optimisations for it yet.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

steve

Well I suppose we cannot expect too much from the RPI, it does cost a fraction of the price of the CPC when new. :)

TFM

Nice to see that the CPC still can beat a GHz machine  ;) :P :laugh: 8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: arnoldemu on 15:23, 25 January 14
Emulating a cpc is not just the z80 ;)
You need to emulate the crtc, fdc, all the components ;)
And if you want accurate display, you need to emulate the monitor too.
One of the limiting factors on the pi, is probably how the emulator (my emulator arnold) updates the display. It draws to a buffer and probably software copies it to the display.
I haven't looked at speeding up that version of the emulator for the pi. Not yet.
I have however run my wip emulator on the pi and it runs, well slow - still because I haven't done optimisations for it yet.
Well... you could always draw to a texture, and let the GPU do the hard work for you... It's then a matter of drawing only a quad, with ortographic perspective, so that 1 texel = 1 pixel...
That should improve performance... A lot. And it would work for Windows too ;)
EDIT: Have a look at this:
Using OpenGL ES 2.0 on the Raspberry Pi without X windows. | Random Hacks
opengles-book-samples/Raspi at master · benosteen/opengles-book-samples ·

CraigsBar

Quote from: arnoldemu on 15:23, 25 January 14

I know this is probably impossible, But I'll ask anyway..... It there any chance of Arnold being ported to RiscOS on the Pi? RiscOS imho has the best performance on the Pi at the cost of software availability.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

robcfg

I do agree, I tested netsurf both on raspbian and on RiscOS, and it was definitely faster on RiscOS.

invent

Firstly, apologies for restarting an older thread. 

I have just bought a Raspberry Pi 3 and will build an emulator/machine :) 
I have given up on actually buying an Amstrad CPC for the moment (hardly any locally) but want to set up a machine so that I (and the kids) can play all the games I loved back in the day, and of course re-enjoy developing new games for the system.   

I'm dreaming of course but it would be nice to one day build a CPC system that actually looks like a CPC even if its got some PC/rasberry hardware inside (maybe minus the tape drive for a SD card) :)

P.S. the warning at top of page suggested I start a new thread, I feel its still relevant to continue.

Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

Audronic

Quote from: invent on 11:54, 27 May 16
Firstly, apologies for restarting an older thread. 

I have given up on actually buying an Amstrad CPC for the moment (hardly any locally).   
Hi Invent
What State are you in ?

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

invent

Hi Audronic, Im in Brisbane, Queensland :)
Enjoying/Creating Retro Games