News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC on the Rasberry Pi

Started by Maskedman, 20:33, 10 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Maskedman

Hello guys,

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with running any kind of CPC emulator on the Rasberry Pi?

Thomas

arnoldemu

Quote from: Maskedman on 20:33, 10 November 12
Hello guys,

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with running any kind of CPC emulator on the Rasberry Pi?

Thomas
yes, I ran my own ones ("Arnold") and they were a bit slow. When I have some time I will optimise them for Pi.
(I have a Pi now :) ).
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

This would be really fun. I also got an arcade-style joystick (replica of the one I used back in the day with the CPC )and a USB adaptor I'm itching to try!

Maskedman

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:36, 12 November 12
This would be really fun. I also got an arcade-style joystick (replica of the one I used back in the day with the CPC )and a USB adaptor I'm itching to try!

Exactly Gryzor, I forgot to mention that I had one of those too!

Guess the only mod needed would be to make a Pi case out of Harrier Attack  ;D

Gryzor

Ohhh that's a fantastic idea! Why Harrier Attack though?

Maskedman

Funny you should ask, I was trying to think of a game that was well known for all CPC owners...

What other suggestions do you have?  ;D

Bryce

Oh Mummy, or any of the Roland titles?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Problem is those cases are not easy to drill holes into, are they?

Bryce

Yes, they tend to be very brittle and crack if you just look at them the wrong way. Heat it to about 50°C if you intend drilling it.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Bryce

Well the fridge is hardly going to be of any help, so yes. :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Fridge, oven, microwave... so many options in my kitchen, always mix them. Doesn't help they're all brushed silver-plated.

How do you do it? What do you put the tape on? bottom of the oven?

Maskedman

Well, that escalated quickly!  :P

Bryce

In an oven you have to be careful, because the metal (especially the grill rail) gets a lot hotter than the oven reports to be and the plastic will stick or deform around the metal. the safest way is in water, which is much easier to measure the exact temperature and the plastic will float freely. You can of course use the microwave to heat the water, but don't put the plastic in until you've taken the container out of the microwave.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yeah, that's why I asked, thermal capacities and whatnot, how do you do it safely? The water is a great idea! And, I guess at 50 degrees no actual damage will be done even if you let it soak forever...

Maskedman

My Pi is on the way, but would it even fit in the case?

Gryzor

Don't have a tape case with me since I left my walkman at home, but the Pi is about 2cm high...

beaker

Looking at mine I think you may have problems with the height of the USB and LAN sockets on the Pi.

Maskedman

How about the slightly bigger black cases, like the one Bruce Lee came in?

Gryzor

Maskedman

Hahah - guess we know where to put the volume and errhh...brightness knobs?  ;D

Gryzor

It's extensible enough - you could add a little speaker and make it play a Sam song every time you open the case or something.

khisanth

My two are constantly being used for different things, would love to get a CPC emulator going on one and somehow get it into some Amstrad hardware

Gryzor

Quote from: khisanthand somehow get it into some Amstrad hardware
This would be lovely, but use them for what purpose?

khisanth

No idea actually!  ::)

Maybe try and interface with the keyboard and use the Pi as the computer. Really it would just be the fun of it and get some use out of broken or not working hardware.