News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC on the Rasberry Pi

Started by Maskedman, 20:33, 10 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

beaker

Maybe the Pi could be used to operate some sort of robotic operating buddy so then once again I'd have someone to control the second player in Target Renegade or Bubble Bobble like all those years ago... Now I have to make do with single player  :'( ;D

steve

I might be good to install a raspberry pi for speech recognition, connected to the keyboard matrix.

khisanth

Now I am liking that idea a lot !

;)

Gryzor

Maybe... control... a turtle?

Oh wait.

Optimus

CPC emul for Pi would be fun! And doable. I already have some on my mobile phone and my Gamepark Caanoo which as far as I know is slower than Pi. I think it has a port of Caprice.

And yes, finally I decided to order my Pi among with friends, we order 4 PIs in one package so that we divide the postal costs.
Maybe I will get it in December. Let's see!

Gryzor

If you follow their Twitter account, every now and then they retweet from shops that have stock... ust today I was reading about a shop that went from 1500 units down to 300 in one day!

robcfg

After waiting for 4 months, my Pi is on the way home!

The good thing is that I get the new 512MB model, can't wait to start playing with it!

Gryzor

Yeah, damn, and I'm stuck with 3x256MBs. Bastards!

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:05, 24 November 12
Yeah, damn, and I'm stuck with 3x256MBs. Bastards!

Add the second 256MB yourself.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 21:15, 24 November 12
Add the second 256MB yourself.

Bryce.
you can't the ram either sits on top of the soc, or it sits below it.
they are in a stack on the pcb.

I'm not sure there is another way to add ram.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Yup, from what I've read you can't do it. Not like there's an extra socket or you can piggyback some extra RAM...  :(

Bryce

That's a pity. (Glad I hadn't ordered one yet :) )

Bryce.

Gryzor

Grrr. Maybe I could chain two of them? Dual CPU, double the memory :)

Marq

The current SDL implementation on the Pi is just bad and slow, so a bit of fiddling with OpenGL ES would be needed. I made a few experiments with it and streaming the 2D buffer to a texture makes things an order of magnitude faster. If nothing else, it's straightforward to use the VideoCore for scaling for fullscreen. SDL only supports 16-bit color on the Pi IIRC.

khisanth

next update will have twice the RAM by the way

arnoldemu

I updated "Arnold TNG" for raspberry pi. I fixed the Makefile so it recognises the platform. The emu will still use sdl though. I haven't tried modifying the opengl code to use opengl es yet.

http://www.cpctech.org.uk/arnold_tng.zip

EDIT: Reason i didn't do more on this. I have been trying to finish a game for cpc.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Marq

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:49, 29 December 12
I updated "Arnold TNG" for raspberry pi. I fixed the Makefile so it recognises the platform. The emu will still use sdl though. I haven't tried modifying the opengl code to use opengl es yet.

http://www.cpctech.org.uk/arnold_tng.zip

EDIT: Reason i didn't do more on this. I have been trying to finish a game for cpc.

I made a little framebuffer library that can stream bitmaps quickly to a texture:
svn://www.kameli.net/marq/koelli
Heavily copied from some example VC sources :)

Ynot.zer0

... okay, it's 100% !Pi related, it's 100% BeagleBone related, but might be similar?  I just dug out my BeagleBone, upgraded the Angstrom linux and plugged the 3" LCD screen onto it.  works a treat.  After spending a little while oogling over the GUI and realising that a 320x240 desktop with 12pt fonts is just far too impractical to use in any proper manner, I dropped back out to the command line.... then this got me to thinking.  I have a usb webcam, mouse and keyboard connected...can I get an Amstrad CPC Emulator to run on this device? (obviously the webcam will be of no use..but maybe I'll be able to get a USB joystick?)
I took a look at:
Emulators - CPCWiki
and had a bit of an online google, it seems most of these emulators are expecting to be run from a windows manager, not from the command line?

I'm basically trying to look for an Amstrad CPC Emulator that I can start from the linux command line (a bit like the DOS laptop I have that runs a non-windows based Amstrad emu).
anyone got any pointers for me?

Gryzor

Much as I like my Pi's, I think I'm getting the next Ordroid which -I was told- will include a SATA port as well, thereby making it a fantastically viable  and extremely cheap solution for a full-capacity PC replacement...

Ynot.zer0

I like.... although that is one monster of a heat sink!

Gryzor

Quote from: Ynot.zer0I like.... although that is one monster of a heat sink!
Yeah, but look at the board's size! 52x48mm vs Pi's 86x54mm. In any case, the heatsink doubles as housing - I'm sure you can hack half of it off and it'll work just as well.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:33, 09 January 13
Yeah, but look at the board's size! 52x48mm vs Pi's 86x54mm. In any case, the heatsink doubles as housing - I'm sure you can hack half of it off and it'll work just as well.

Yeah sure, the designer added that heatsink because he needed only half of it! Of course you can't hack half of it off! I'm pretty sure it's dimensioned to be as small as possible without overheating the CPU at full load. And I think it's tiny for the amount of power that board is going to disipate, I'd guess it already gets quite hot even at idle.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Nah, I was half-kidding. There's no reason to cut it anyway, since the heatsink's height is, as far as I can remember (page doesn't open for me right now) exactly as tall as the components on it (ports etc).

As for power, I think the PSU is a 5V/2A one. Given that it can be overclocked, it gets hot, yes, but not to a non-working level. It's probably more dangerous for the environment. The CPU is temperature-throttled:

First Throttle (85C): CPU goes down to 800Mhz
Second (102C): Down to 200Mhz
Software Shutdown occurs at  120oC
Hardware self protection shutdown at 123oC

But, supposedly, if you disable throttling in your Linux distro it can run up to 1700MHz without going much hotter. Never tried it, of course, but that's what they've been saying.

Munchausen

Quote from: Ynot.zer0 on 17:58, 05 January 13
I'm basically trying to look for an Amstrad CPC Emulator that I can start from the linux command line (a bit like the DOS laptop I have that runs a non-windows based Amstrad emu).
anyone got any pointers for me?

Arnold is a safe bet, although on Haiku I had to hack it's build system a bit to get it to build against SDL only, disabling X etc and all the other sound options. However as you're building on linux you probably can just build against them even though you wont be using them and it ought to work. Then you only need to run on the command line:

export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbdev
or (depending on what framebuffer support you have on your system)

export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon

to tell SDL to use the framebuffer, and it should run fine.

Caprice is a good bet too, since it also uses SDL IIRC, and thus should be workable in a similar way to above. I think all the others though are either windows/DOS/Mac based or target X - I did a fairly thorough search when looking for a CPC emulator to port to Haiku, since it supports only SDL or it's own native API.

EDIT: I don't know why, but something funny has happened to the font sizes in this post...

CraigsBar

I compiled Arnold TNG last night on the Pi. And with the latest raspbian, with accelerated x, I get very close to native speeds when using the turbo over clock (1 GHz and 6volt)
Now if we can get opengl on the pi

Regards
Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode