News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Started by Phi2x, 18:49, 09 September 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Phi2x

SyX

Great!!! ;) I have tested more mode 5 pictures, another of my raster examples, a few scroll hardware, ruptures, ... you said it and CPCBox emulate it with accuracy!!!  ;D

McKlain

Now it just needs to ask for less resources :P

Morn

Quote from: mcklain on 16:42, 28 August 11

Well, my favorite CPC  emulator runs perfectly even on a lowly 4 MHz Z80 and comes with its own stylish case and monitor. And the emulation is so perfect that it almost feels like the real thing. Oh wait, it is!  :D

TFM

Quote from: mcklain on 16:42, 28 August 11

Well... INDEED! If I compare other Emulators ... OMG! 30 fps or 900 fps (if needed!) are VERY different.
The max speed of an emu is a factor that deserves way more consideration.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

McKlain

I just need stable 50fps. With sound enabled the emu sometimes drops to 41 or less fps and stutters on my Phenom II X4 955BE. I think that I have enough cpu for an amstrad emulator.

Phi2x

Devilmarkus

Well,
sure a FPS rate of 900 could be cool.
But, as far I understand it, CPCBox is an experiment.
And it's a cool thing to have an emulated CPC in javascript with extremely accurate CPU and CRTC/GateArray emulation.
Sure it could run better, but isn't that a thing for the browser-providers to improve javascript execution speed?
On the other hand, Roland runs much smoother. But also it's emulation core is not so complex than in CPCBox.
So, both emulators are cool in their way:
- CPCBox is highly accurate and will run better in the future (I'm sure)
- Roland is a speedy emulator which is good enough to run games in it.
The fact, that both use javascript, apologizes the lack of speed ;)

Sure it would be also possible to code a CPC emulator in Flash... But then, surely without sound!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

steve

I find it funny that you think nothing of buying a new and faster PC so that you can emulate a computer that you can buy on ebay for <£50. :)

antoniovillena

Hello Phi2x

I think that Syx wanted to say that we would like to include cpcbox in amstradcpc.es webpage. That page is not exclusively for Roland and we don't earn money with it (as there are no ads).

It would be interesting to access with your emulator to a huge database of 4000 games without loading local files. Also, my emulator is poor in accuracy, and doesn't work with many games with splited modes.

Thanks for your great emulator and your regular updates.

Phi2x

antoniovillena

Thank you for your reponse, phi2x. So DevilMarkus if you are reading this post (and you are interested) contact me.

Quote from: phi2x on 16:33, 29 August 11
Nope, I'm not interested at all in seeing CPCBox used on other websites.
In fact, this is partly why CPCBox is NOT an open-source project, to block this kind of initiative to happen!

But you have more interesting alternatives anyway: I think you should work with DevilMarkus on that project.
His online Java emulator is open-source. And it is already used on different websites, like cpc-power.com

Another advantage is that its emulator is accurate AND fast. So it would certainly fit better with what you're trying to do ;)

Gryzor

Quote from: phi2x on 16:33, 29 August 11
Nope, I'm not interested at all in seeing CPCBox used on other websites.
In fact, this is partly why CPCBox is NOT an open-source project, to block this kind of initiative to happen!

Well, it's your right of course, but it sounds strange - why wouldn't you want that? Just curious...

Phi2x

Gryzor

You could have saved some typing, as I wasn't referring to the license scheme :D I believe each author's choice of license is their own business, though:

a. for instance, an open-source Batman would lead to better demos and
b. Open source does not prevent, of course, IP.

I was talking about not wanting to incorporate the emulator in other projects.

Phi2x

Gryzor

Erm... not quite. Going closed-source does not prevent you from allowing the emulator to be used in other projects and vice-versa. One is a condition subset of the other that does not necessarily affect the end result. You could very well keep the emulator closed but allow it to be used - how on earth would you lose IP then? As for piggy-backing, aw, come on, we're a small community where there are people trying to offer something to the rest of it. If you see it as piggy-backing and play it all defensive then you see it wrong...

Winape, for instance (as other emulators, too) isincluded in the CPCGamesCD which is a wonderful package and builds on top of other people's efforts to present something really nice. Honestly, I can't see how *anyone* could lose from it. Has zit to do with who holds the copyright, who is credited and who has the right to make millions of €€€ off of it.

An emulation community's prime aim, raison d'être and -really- survival prerequisite is sharing and spreading. If we kept everything separate, in silos and with limitations in use then we'd be far, far behind - especially a small community like ours (the Spectrum and c= communities are large enough to be able to support commercial projects).

PS Oh, also, an open-source project doesn't automatically mean 'free'. It could be commercial or donationware, too.

redbox

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:41, 30 August 11
An emulation community's prime aim, raison d'être and -really- survival prerequisite is sharing and spreading.

Amen to that  :)

Phi2x

Devilmarkus

Just one thing:
JavaCPC and it's sources are still open source.
The sources are STILL available on sourcforge.
I just removed 1-2 classes (Which contain personal data like a full mail account)
But with a few changes you still can build JavaCPC from these sources.
*EOF*

Gryzor

...and Phi2x wins the argument by not agreeing and calling 'bullshit'! Woo-hoo, we broke new ground in logic here! :D

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:08, 30 August 11
...and Phi2x wins the argument by not agreeing and calling 'bullshit'! Woo-hoo, we broke new ground in logic here! :D

Well we German use a phrase like this:
'People who live in glass houses should not throw stones' ;)

Right: WinApe is not open source.
But also true: Always when I asked Richard for some source, he sent me... :)

Phi2x

Devilmarkus

Quote from: phi2x on 10:12, 30 August 11
I do not speak with dishonest people.

Wow... thats hard stuff...
So tell us, who is dishonest...

Gryzor

Quote from: phi2x on 10:12, 30 August 11
I do not speak with dishonest people. Do not speak to me EVER again.