News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Started by Phi2x, 18:49, 09 September 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilmarkus

@Gryzor: I want a "Dislike" feature!!!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Yeah... one is not available, unfortunately!

Morn

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:41, 30 August 11You could very well keep the emulator closed but allow it to be used - how on earth would you lose IP then?

Gryzor, many people seem to think that Open Source = Public Domain or Open Source = GNU license and that making the source available somehow makes you lose copyright. Or that Open Source and restrictions on how and where the project is used are mutually exclusive. Which of course is not true at all, because there are many other licenses besides GNU and BSD. I think Stallman's evangelism for GNU is the problem, because it has created this impression that Open Source has to mean a project can be reused by anyone without even asking and that is has to allow users to distribute modified versions, etc. But that's actually GNU, not Open Source.

Gryzor

You're 100% correct, this has been a big issue for several years; but I'd expect that everyone who cares about IP would know it by now - or at least do a cursory google search to read on the matter. As a matter of fact, I just did, and I found articles dating back several years explaining the difference in no uncertain terms.

Stallman does have some merits, but of course you can disagree with those; after all, he's ideologically motivated, and his position includes quite a bit of hypothesizing and theorizing. On the other hand, laws and licenses are facts, not theories...

redbox

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 10:25, 30 August 11

Well, I intended to ask before.... but now I got serious competition in winning that contest  :laugh:

Ok, guys, some nice excourses for the emotions. Now let's all relax a bit and come back to topic  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

I thought it was quite fun while it lasted...!

MaV

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 10:25, 30 August 11

I don't want to know what happens then. It'll be a bloodbath.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TFM

Quote from: MaV on 17:20, 30 August 11
I don't want to know what happens then. It'll be a bloodbath.

Vampires love that!

:P  (at the left you see a blood licking smily, at the right the same dude a daylight)  8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MaV

Quote from: TFM/FS on 17:27, 30 August 11

Vampires love that!

:P  (at the left you see a blood licking smily, at the right the same dude a daylight)  8)

Shall I show you my herb garden? I happen to have a very complete collection of various types of garlic. Don't worry. It's for your own good. *cackle*

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

Phi2x

Phi2x

MaV

Quote from: phi2x on 20:55, 30 August 11
How can I get out of here?
Going step by step to point out the lies and expose the falsifiers.

I honestly don't know where it'll get us to, but it's time to take a closer look at what has been said here.

You don't have to, really. All those who responded wished for an open source JavaScript emulator. It is still your decision. And I assume everybody still respects your decision, even if they would have liked to see it open sourced.

Nothing more to say.

Devilmarkus

Well nobody wanted it to be open source.
But some people asked if it could be possible to put CPCBox on another server, because people find this emu cool.
I don't think that anybody wanted to erase any copyright or whatever else...
But that's your personal thing, how you treat the people...
WinApe is also not opensource but anybody is allowed to download it for free, to share it etc...

McKlain

Quote from: phi2x on 21:27, 30 August 11Compare it with open-sourcing CPCBox for instance. Other emulator authors would then directly go looking at my code and understand how I perform pixel-accurate rasters!
Can someone explain to me in clear terms what would then be the value of CPCBox?
Then, it would just be a snail slow Javascript emulator where all the advantages were sucked up without effort by his competitors.

Excuse me but, are we talking about competitors here? In the emulation of an obsolete platform, wich is mostly a hobby for everyone involved on the scene?

Devilmarkus

Quote from: McKlain on 21:36, 30 August 11
Excuse me but, are we talking about competitors here? In the emulation of an obsolete platform, wich is mostly a hobby for everyone involved on the scene?

robcfg

@phi2x:

I think that the day that anyone discovers how to work those rasters in other emulators, CPCBox will be again at disadvantage for being written in JavaScript. I mean, it's ok as an exercise, and some time in the future, you'll be able to run it at full speed, but by not sharing your knowledge you're only making everyone else's life more difficult.

And I bet, you've read information about the CPC that wasn't written by you, so you used knowledge that other people shared. You're not competing with anyone here, users will choose the emulator that best suits their needs, and that hasn't to be the most accurate. Of course, if everybody could get accurate emulation, then the extra features of the emulator is what will make the difference.

That's my two cents.

TFM

Quote from: McKlain on 21:36, 30 August 11

Careful with the words! The CPC is not obsolete at all! And for me it's my lifeblood. Else you're right.
TFM of FutureSoft

McKlain

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:04, 30 August 11

Careful with the words! The CPC is not obsolete at all! And for me it's my lifeblood. Else you're right.

Would you prefer... discontinued?  ;D

Phi2x

Phi2x

Devilmarkus

No motivation anymore to reply to this bullshit...

Phi2x

Devilmarkus

Ok, now listen:
My Name also has a © now.
I don't want YOU to quote my name again, to reply to ANY of my threads and to write ANY comments about me, my nickname, my emulator or the colour how I shit in the toilet