News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCE Joystick Support?

Started by Xyphoe, 06:41, 25 November 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyphoe

Hi

Just wondering if CPCE has joystick support hidden away in it or a new version will be released with this?

It's rare but I've come across some Joystick *only* games like Express Raider where you can't even start without hitting the fire button!

Xyphoe

Ok my apologies, I've found the cpce.ini file and REDEFINE.COM

Problem is I can't run redefine.com as I'm on a 64bit Win7 O/S, and doesn't allow me to set 'compatibility mode' for .com files (.exe are ok)
Won't run from Command Prompt either.

I note in the cpce.ini file this line -

JOYSTICK_KEYS=48504B4D5253

I want to redefine them and not use the numeric pad, instead use up/down/left/right and have Z and X for fire buttons 1 and 2.
Can anyone help me with this by editing that line manually?

I presume characters respond to a key there, eg 48 = Numeric 4, 50 = Numeric 6, etc

Cheers!

Xyphoe

Actually a simpler solution would be if some kind fellow ran redefine.com and set up,down,left,right,z,x then copied into here the result code from the cpce.ini file that would be great :)

Still interested where it gets the 2 character codes from as it doesn't correspond to the key codes for Win I found Googling

remax

JOYSTICK_KEYS=88908B8D2C2D

with an AZERY keyboard so i use W and X on mine (should give Z and X on QWERTY).
Brain Radioactivity

Xyphoe

Quote from: remax on 22:51, 25 November 10
JOYSTICK_KEYS=88908B8D2C2D

with an AZERY keyboard so i use W and X on mine (should give Z and X on QWERTY).

Awesome! That works perfectly - thank you!!!

Beaps

I to am struggling to get keys to work. I am running 64Bit XP & redefine.exe does not work
any help would be appriciated

Beaps

Still looking for help on this, how can I use my joystick in CPCE as redefine.exe doesn't work :-/

cngsoft

Quote from: Beaps on 19:23, 02 May 13
Still looking for help on this, how can I use my joystick in CPCE as redefine.exe doesn't work :-/
The previous posts tell you how to edit CPCE.INI to set the joystick-on-keys option to your convenience. Oh, and remember to hit Lock Num inside the emulator to enable it :-)
(if you can't see the banner right now my server is currently offline)

Beaps

Great, I will give that a bash & report back

THANKS!

Beaps

Ok, still confused :-(

In the .ini file I already have joystick_keys=88908B8D2C2C

Can someone please post the ini file?

cngsoft

Here you have the values for QAOP+Space+Tab:
JOYSTICK_KEYS=101E1819390F
Remember to hit Num.Lock when CPCE is active to toggle the joystick-on-keys mode!

For the curious, each hex byte is the scan code; they're hardware-based and are the same on DOS and Win32 regardless of language. This saves CPCE the headaches of non-QWERTY locales (PC-CPC, I'm looking at you) but means that users must either set the ROM_LANGUAGE value or supply locale-accurate OS ROMs.
(if you can't see the banner right now my server is currently offline)

Beaps

Oh nuts, I am using a Logitech k400 keyboard that I don't think has a number lock. Just my bloody luck!

Gryzor

Have one myself and no, it doesn't have one since it doesn't even have a 'blue' numpad printed on the keys...