News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCemu 2.3.3 released

Started by Emu, 23:00, 07 July 21

Previous topic - Next topic

sb1903

I gave now the latest CPCEmu also a try (Linux version) and I am happy to see that the case-sensitivity issue with the TAPE emulation is now resolved. Thanks a lot for that.
One thing that I noticed (and which most likely was already present in earlier versions): I tried to make cpcemu available by just copying the executable "cpcemu" into /usr/local/bin and making sure that I have the paths in /.CPCemu/cpcemu.cfg. However, there seems to be no configuration for the path of the file cpcemu.msg. Seems this file always needs to be in the current working directory from which cpcemu is started. Otherwise it will give us segfault and this debug window says "MSG: Cannot open message file cpcemu.msg".

Emu

@ajcasado :
Quote-Flashing several roms must be done from the highest numbered one to the lowest, if a higher numbered rom is flashed all the lower numbered roms are corrupted.

-Between |romup commands the command |romupd must be issued, otherwise only the last |romup command take effect.
Can you give an example for which ROMs this happens? I cannot reproduce it. Which system (CPC and host) are you using?

Quote-When using the default rom numbers of FutureOS it cannot be booted. The numbers must be under 16 for FutureOS to start properly.

Well, that is not true. I flashed them in roms 28, 29, 30 and 31 with the booster rom in slot 15 and it boots. But with no booster rom and the default rom numbers (10, 16, 17 and 18) it doesn't boot.
That's expected behaviour. Background ROMs (such as FutureOS) are detected only up to ROM 15. You can extend this range with said booster ROM mentioned above.

QuoteEDIT. It works, but the |m4help command doesn't show correctly the rom names in slots 30 and 31.
This is a problem of the M4 ROM. It reads the ROM name from the RSX table as if they were background ROMs (type 1), which is true for the first Bomb Jack ROM, but actually the others are of type 2 (extension-foreground), so they don't have an RSX table and thus no name. I will tell Duke so that he can consider improving the ROM code.

QuoteWhen emulation starts the screen scrolls in a closed loop and no input is possible.
I've found this behaviour in the 464 emulation. I think I've also found the bug causing it yesterday.

@SkulleateR :
Quote1. when disabling M4 in cpcemu.cfg the installed Roms will be still mounted
4. disabling M4 in CFG, then emulating 6128 -> parados still mounted, DSK works and parados also works
Yep, correct. I've found the bug and removed it.

Quote2. emulating CPC464 with M4 : inserting a DSK makes the emulation crash, parados rom works (|DRIVE)
I think I've also found and fixed this one.

Quote3. emulating CPC6128 with M4 : inserting DSK works but parados rom won't work at all
This is correct behaviour, I verified it with my real M4 board. In |SD mode, |DRIVE returns immediately with "Ready". In |DISC mode it returns with "Bad command".
What helps is making ParaDOS ROM no. 7 (replacing AMSDOS), but I've not tried if the latter is possible with the M4 board at all (neither the real one nor the emulated one).

SkulleateR

Quote from: Emu on 10:37, 26 July 21

@SkulleateR :Yep, correct. I've found the bug and removed it.
I think I've also found and fixed this one.

Great news  8)

ajcasado

Quote from: Emu on 10:37, 26 July 21Can you give an example for which ROMs this happens? I cannot reproduce it. Which system (CPC and host) are you using?
Hi,

I'm not close to my PC now so I cannot send a capture. I'm using Manjaro Linux.

In about three weeks i'll post captures whith this behavior.

Thanks for checking.

Edit: This happens with all roms.
CPC 664

Empiezas a envejecer cuando dejas de aprender.
You start to get old when you stop learning.

ajcasado

Quote from: Emu on 10:37, 26 July 21That's expected behaviour. Background ROMs (such as FutureOS) are detected only up to ROM 15. You can extend this range with said booster ROM mentioned above.
For FutureOS to boot only ROM A must be under slot 16, so using slots 10, 16, 17 and 18 should work.
Anyway this problem can be bypassed easily so I guess it is not very important to fix it.
CPC 664

Empiezas a envejecer cuando dejas de aprender.
You start to get old when you stop learning.

CPCBEGIN

Finally I get inject a DSK to CPCEmu for Android using Total Commander.

Only I can do this with play store version.
But now, I can't play games like Pinball Dreams, because the keys aren't mapped in Android keyboard.

Retro & opensource

Emu

I know. Android and keyboard input, in particular real-time input, is a pain in the *ss, even with a Bluetooth hardware keyboard connected. No cursor keys detectable, unbelievable.

One way I see would be an option to redefine the buttons of a Bluetooth game controller to produce the keys needed. But that's probably not what most people want - carrying a controller along with them in the subway.

Another way I came up with recently is to make the touch screen joystick result in cursor key strokes. There is already an option to use the cursor keys as a joystick, so this new thing would be just the other way round. Of course, this would only work where no joystick input is needed. What do you think? Would this be helpful?

Gryzor

For me old computer games are nearly unplayable on mobile devices, except for a few titles; see Baba's Palace (Android version) or Millie and Molly (really lovely little game!). But you can see that's a whole different direction.

However, a decent solution that works with controllers would provide a great option for my TV or Nvidia Shield TV!

Emu

I've just uploaded v2.3.3 that provides:

• Snapshot sizes of up to 576 K (uncompressed only).
  • Default snapshot size can be changed in configuration file.
  • New option to use on-screen joystick as cursor keys (fire button acts as COPY).
  • Several bug fixes, in particular in the context of ROM handling.
@CPCBEGIN : The joystick option might help you. Please report.

@ajcasado : I hope most of your problems are solved now. Please report.

@SkulleateR : Please try if all of the bugs you found are fixed.

Emu

@ajcasado : I would like to explore this further.
QuoteFor FutureOS to boot only ROM A must be under slot 16, so using slots 10, 16, 17 and 18 should work.

As far as I understand, this configuration can only work if the ROMs are modified by the ROM number utility on the installation DSK. Is this correct?

Emu

@Gryzor : CPCemu is already able to use a game controller (if one is attached). What exactly are you missing? (No offense, I'm just asking to make CPCemu better.)

In general, I think retro gaming is exactly the only thing that really works on mobile devices (if and only if the game is controlled by a joystick). The on-screen joystick of CPCemu should be exactly what you need. And even if you have to press "1" for single player by using the on-screen keyboard, this should be acceptable.

I confirm that it is nearly impossible to play games (or use other software) that requires key strokes.

Emu

@sb1903 : Why not install the CPCemu folder to /usr/local/cpcemu-2.3 and create a script /usr/local/bin/cpcemu that calls /usr/local/cpcemu-2.3/cpcemu, but executes a "cd /usr/local/cpcemu-2.3" before?

NotFound

I've installed CPCemu 2.3.3 Android multiarch in a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, Android 8.1.0, and having a problem: when I power off the virtual machine from the menu and start it again, the emulated CPC works fine, but the menus and the splash screen shows distorted, or blank, or  with garbage. The same happened with the 2.2 version.
Other than that, the app works really good.

Gryzor

Quote from: Emu on 21:19, 30 July 21
@Gryzor : CPCemu is already able to use a game controller (if one is attached). What exactly are you missing? (No offense, I'm just asking to make CPCemu better.)

In general, I think retro gaming is exactly the only thing that really works on mobile devices (if and only if the game is controlled by a joystick). The on-screen joystick of CPCemu should be exactly what you need. And even if you have to press "1" for single player by using the on-screen keyboard, this should be acceptable.

I confirm that it is nearly impossible to play games (or use other software) that requires key strokes.

Oh nothing missing, that was a general observation. Can't stand touch, on screen joysticks! If it runs on my Shield TV then it's all I need. Only device I managed to enjoy some Dreamcast titles on!

sb1903

Quote from: Emu on 21:21, 30 July 21
@sb1903 : Why not install the CPCemu folder to /usr/local/cpcemu-2.3 and create a script /usr/local/bin/cpcemu that calls /usr/local/cpcemu-2.3/cpcemu, but executes a "cd /usr/local/cpcemu-2.3" before?
OK, that way it's working  :) Thanks!

SkulleateR

Quote from: Emu on 21:07, 30 July 21
@SkulleateR : Please try if all of the bugs you found are fixed.

Oh great, will try as soon as I get home tomorrow  8)

SkulleateR

Rom Handling seems fine now :)

But I came across another weird issue, as soon as I start the emu, the main system sound gets distorted and gets back to normal when quitting the program ...

Made a short clip so you can hear it (had webradio on, but it happens with all other sound sources as well) :

https://youtu.be/LyVSAWVxm5U

Emu

Is it possible that the Pi is just overloaded with multimedia from different processes? Did this problem occur with v2.3.3 for the first time? I would assume it existed before...

SkulleateR

Definitely not overloaded with only a web radio running besides the emulator, I could even play a youtube video, web radio and have Vice and other emulators running at the same time without getting this issue ...

And yes, it was there before but I simply did not check that before because I had the sound disabled or didn't have a second sound output enabled.

Emu

@SkulleateR : Is there any special setup in your Pi? Would you be so kind and check when (in which version) this problem appeared for the first time? I'll try with my Pi 4 and the 400 as soon as I can, too.

SkulleateR

Only "specal" Item is the USB sund card because my monitor got no HDMI audio so I needed a decent sound output but as I said, it works with all of the other sound sources like youtube, webradio, other emulators !

And I just downloaded 2.2 again (first ARM64 Version) and the problem is there too ...

Emu

@SkulleateR : Thank you. Could you also try if the sound problems are present when using the analog audio jack of the Pi?

SkulleateR

@Emu : Sorry, the Pi400 got no audio jack, only HDMI sound output (but my monitor got no speaker), so I got myself an USB sound card with audio jack ...

SkulleateR

And just to add this : the sound itself seems to be "broken". Even if the CPC-EMU is the only sound source. Just played Gryzor and all of the FX is distorted, extremly noticable if you take the laser in level one (first extra item)

Emu

Oh no, I've never noticed that there is no audio jack, but it's true. Unbelievable.

Unfortunately, I don't have an USB sound card.

Would you be so kind to try the HDMI output on your television set? Just to check if the problem is USB-only.