News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CrocoDS doesn't like me!

Started by keith56, 15:34, 22 November 16

Previous topic - Next topic

keith56

CrocoDS 2.0 (the Nintendo DS CPC emulator) seems to have issue with the game I am developing,

it just crashes as soon as the game loop starts - this is a shame, as The DS would be my preferred platform for playing the game - and not being able to play my own game is a bit annoying!

The strange thing is, the game works fine on a real 6128, Winape, and as far as I can tell WinCPC and Caprice (Which I understand that Croco is based on?)

I didn't think I was doing anything particularly unusual, I do some raster color changes, use the alternative registers (I don't use the firmware and use my own interrupt routine) and switch the stack pointer for fast read/write (with interrupts disabled)  [size=78%]but thats about it, I'm not using overscan or any strange CRTC registers.[/size]

Does anyone know of any known weaknesses/limitations in the emulation of CrocoDS, or alternatively a better emulator for the DS?

Just to reiterate - the game seems to have no problem on real hardware or other emulators
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

genesis8

Ask the author on twitter : https://twitter.com/kyuran

He is working on an OSX version at the moment.

EgoTrip

keith56

Yes! it works on AmeDs! - I didn't know about that emulator - I especially like the Retro UI!

I hadn't realized the OSX CrocoDS was by the same author, I had assumed since it had not been updated since 2007 the developer had moved on to other things..

When I get time, I will try disabling some modules to narrow down the source of the problem and send the dev the info - in case they want to look at it further

Thanks for the advice!
Keith

Redbug

I'm waiting the info :)
Thanks

RedBug/Crazy Piri
Crazy Piri's productions are available on itch.io
AMSnews.fr, a new french information site about the Amstrad. Be the first to know.

keith56

Totally forgot about this one, I was debugging my game still!

Just did another test, and it's really interesting.

The main menu works fine, but the instant the game starts it crashes! I never even see a single frame!

Now, the main menu actually uses the same code as the Level, the main difference is the main menu uses ram configuration C0 with no page flipping, and the Level code uses C1 and C3

I would have to take a guess that it's either a firmware difference (something going wrong during loading) - or a difference in the way the memory banks switch - maybe I'm using interrupts wrong, and there's a one firing on the DS, that never happens on Winape

Firmware wise It seems to work fine on Amsdos/Parados on Winape