News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

dMagnetic 0.26 - Magnetic Scrolls emulator

Started by Jonathan, 18:33, 31 October 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Here's some information from https://www.dettus.net/dMagnetic/:

Version 0.26 (31-oct-2020)

This release enables Amstrad CPC enthusiasts to replay the games by loading the game binaries from DSK image files. The awesome pictures have been preserved, and offer a nostalgic experience.

robcfg

I downloaded and compiled it on MacOS, and tried to run The Pawn from CPC-Power, but the program only recognises standard dsk files and not extended dsk ones.

The differences are not that much and would be nice to have them supported.

Jonathan

I've not had a go yet, but hope to soon. I'm sure it would be possible to contact the programmer about that.

Gryzor

So, this allows you to load various versions of Magnetic Scrolls games and play them in a terminal, rendering the system-specific images in ANSI? Am I getting this correctly?

genesis8

version 0.27 is out since 1st November, no idea for the changes

Gryzor

Just noticed this was posted under Hardware, moving to proper forum.

dettus

Hello.
Hahaha. I was actually looking for something else, when I stumbled upon this thread....
The thing is that I did not have Extended DSK-Files when I wrote the Amstrad CPC loader for my program.
Thanks to you guys, now I do.

I was able to integrate the parser for this format. Unfortunately, I am reluctant to release 0.28 at this point, for various reasons. It might at least be a month until I do so.
Until then, I was hoping that you could try out the patch I attached to this Post. I was able to load "The Pawn" from the source you mentioned. Maybe you can have a look and send me a message, if it gives you any trouble?
You'd have to rename it to loader_amstradcpc.c, and copy it over the file in dMagnetic_0.27/src/loader/loader_amstradcpc.c. Once you "remake" the software, it should work. *fingerscrossed*

robcfg

That made it work flawlessly, thank you very much!

dettus

Beautiful!

Have you tried the -vmode sixel parameter yet? (Might also need a -sres 1024x768)

robcfg

Ok, colour me officially impressed!

dettus

Hahaha.  ;D ;D ;D There are other options to the -vmode parameter as well.
But before you start adventuring: Please upgrade to 0.27, since 0.26 had a nasty bug that prevented loading games, except for the Amstrad CPC releases. (Do not forget to apply the new .c file!

Gryzor

Looks great... currently trying to set up the whole thing to run under Ubuntu WSL, hopefully I'll steal some time from work to do it today :D

robcfg

I compiled 0.27 with the extended dsk support on MacOS Catalina (in case you'd like to add it to the compatibility list) and works like a charm, thank you!

dettus

Hey guys!I just released 0.28. That one includes the patch for the extended disks. Enjoy!!

https://www.dettus.net/dMagnetic/

dettus

Aaand I finished  dMagnetic 0.29 just in time for Christmas. With the new vmode UTF,  the games can be enjoyed by even more people.

Gryzor

What's the new vmode?

In any case, thanks, and Merry Xmas!

dettus

dMagnetic -vmode utf   uses UTF-8 characters to render the pictures. That works better than the -vmode sixel.

genesis8

Gryzor

How I wish I had some free time... :(