Emulation of PSG muxer R7 bit 6 (Keyboard direction) wrong in some Emulators ?

Started by 40Crisis, 07:49, 03 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

40Crisis

Hello,

the cpcwiki page describes  PSG register 7 "Mixer Control Register" as follow:

7h - Mixer Control Register

The control register enables or disables the sound channels. Each channel can output a Tone and/or Noise.

Bit 0  Channel A Tone   (1=off, 0=on)
Bit 1  Channel B Tone   (1=off, 0=on)
Bit 2  Channel C Tone   (1=off, 0=on)
Bit 3  Channel A Noise  (1=off, 0=on)
Bit 4  Channel B Noise  (1=off, 0=on)
Bit 5  Channel C Noise  (1=off, 0=on)
Bit 6  Port A Direction (1=output, 0=input) (should be always 0 for CPC)
Bit 7  Port B Direction (1=output, 0=input) (not used in CPC)

If both Tone and Noise are disabled on a channel, then a constant HIGH level is output (useful for digitized speech).
If both Tone and Noise are enabled on the same channel, then the signals are ANDed (the signals aren't ADDed) (ie. HIGH is output only if both are HIGH).

By mistake, I set the bit 6 to 1 while programming sound. The result on a real CPC and some emulators (Arnold, CPCE, Java CPC Desktop )
is that CPC keyboard becomes unreadable which is normal because Port A is set to output. All CPC keys are returned as pressed.

But in emulators like Winape, Sugarbox, Reloaded CPC keyboard is still perfectly readable.

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Lone

Hello,

Nice global bug report !
Thanks for it, i'll add a fix as soon as possible.

Do you have a test dsk, by the way ?

40Crisis

Quote from: Lone on 18:02, 03 February 16
Hello,

Nice global bug report !
Thanks for it, i'll add a fix as soon as possible.

Do you have a test dsk, by the way ?

Here's a sample code.
when bit 6 is correctly emulated when set to 1, 10 bytes matrix buffer should be filled with $FF and CPC will reset as
I check for combinaison CTL+SHIFT+ESC to reset CPC in code.

Executioner

What data is read from the ports after a value has been written? Your test code doesn't actually write anything to PSG Reg 14. Is the value read the same as the value written when in output mode?

40Crisis

Quote from: Executioner on 23:17, 08 February 16
What data is read from the ports after a value has been written? Your test code doesn't actually write anything to PSG Reg 14. Is the value read the same as the value written when in output mode?

The problem is when reading the keyboard after setting bit 6 to 1 for PSG register 7:
- In WinApe and some other emulators when you read the state byte for the ten keyboard rows, it returns bit set for each key not pressed when reading port 14 of PSG
- On a real CPC and most emulators for each key not pressed it returns bit reset when reading port 14 of PSG

arnoldemu

Quote from: Executioner on 23:17, 08 February 16
Hmmm.. I thought it checks all the registers 0-15?

EDIT: Run psg.bin
first test "port A out r/w test"
:)

test 3:

port A w through test

My games. My Games

Executioner

@40Crisis, I'm not certain you understood the question.  If I do:

Write PSG Reg 7 with Bit 6 Set.
Write PSG Reg 14 with #AA
Read PSG Reg 14

What value does it return?

If the PSG contains buffered I/O Ports like the 8255, it may return #AA, rather than #00

Normal keyboard reading with Port A set to Input has each bit high when the key is NOT pressed, this is correct.

@arnoldemu: What checks all the registers? Not the provided sample code from what I saw, does the DSK image have something different on it?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Executioner on 22:02, 10 February 16
@arnoldemu: What checks all the registers? Not the provided sample code from what I saw, does the DSK image have something different on it?
Look in the "acid test" thread here on the forum.
amstrad cpc "acid" test

Download arnold wip's source. Go to to the test/cpctests directory. In there are loads of tests.
I've tested ppi, psg, fdc, asic, crtc, many are automatic and give a success or fail. Some are visual.

The dsk should be up to date but if not you can run the make.bat to build it using pasmo and cpcxfs.

Run psg.bin

first test does exactly this. it sets AY port A direction and writes and then reads back the values. It does all 255 values.

The second test does AY port B.

This will answer the question ;)

My games. My Games