News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC... Vita

Started by rexbeng, 23:32, 11 February 12

Previous topic - Next topic

rexbeng

I've been toying around with Sony's new handheld, the PS Vita, and I have to admit that the combination of full gamepad controls AND touchscreen feature is by far the best I've tried on any type of handheld - yes, better than what is offered by the honorable Pandora. Aditionaly the screen resolution is 940x544 pixels which means that the device can properly "emulate" the full vertical resolution of the CPC in overscan (which is 272 pixels on the CPC itself but in real life this translates into 544 pixels) which is also impossible on the Pandora where the screen needs to be distorted.

So, while having the proper screensize & resolution, there's also a complete set of controls with gamepad and joysticks AND a handy keyboard on the touch screen that doen't require you to have a stroke everytime you need to type anything in. Plus a very powerful CPU/GPU set and an easy transfer method via USB.

I guess you all know where I'm going with this: is there a thought about an emulator? I don't actually know what the deal is with the CPC emulators currently on the PSP, I've never tried any of them. Are the developers still around to give us a hint?

regards,
rb

00WReX

As far as I am aware there were 2 CPC emulators developed for the Original PSP series (1000, 2000, & 3000),

I have them both on my PSP's and both versions are based on Caprice32.

You need a PSP running custom firmware to run these...

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/categories/3-Amstrad

http://psp.akop.org/caprice32

Although I was quite fond of the original PSP I have not yet touched or even read up much on the VITA...will have to check it out.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Nice specs, I must say... what's it going for currently?

rexbeng

It's got a decent price for what it offers. Surprisingly, on greek shops it even costs less than for example on Zavvi or Play.com. Have look here  http://www.plaisio.gr/Gaming/Consoles/sony-ps-vita.htm.

rb

mr_lou

I've often thought about getting myself a handheld gaming console like this, though mostly for retro gaming. I actually did buy a Gamepark once for that purpose, but it wasn't optimal for CPC emulation so I never used it much.

Also, I think Sony will never offer old Nintendo classics because of copyrights. Am I wrong?

TFM

Quote from: rexbeng on 23:32, 11 February 12
.... Aditionaly the screen resolution is 940x544 pixels which means that the device can properly "emulate" the full vertical resolution of the CPC in overscan (which is 272 pixels on the CPC itself ...

Sorry men, in some cases the overscan Y resolution is 288 pixel, just one example here:

Giana Sisters Clone for Amstrad CPC
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

PAL overscan is 768x288@50Hz.
But, on CPC, it's common to use 768x272, 384x272, 192x272 overscan resolutions.
Most CPC emulator don't display more than 270 lines, because they can't be seen on a CTM monitor. (but on few CRT TV and LCD monitors)

Yes, with a 544 lines display on Vita you can manage an emulator displaying a nice CPC overscan, and interlaced screens too.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

I see my 288 scanlines quite perfect on my CPC Plus monitor (color) and there are even maybe 2-3 scanlines more at the lower end. I have to make a picture in Spring.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Devilmarkus

Quote from: TFM/FS on 06:12, 13 February 12

Sorry men, in some cases the overscan Y resolution is 288 pixel, just one example here:

Giana Sisters Clone for Amstrad CPC
Well let me know which emulator uses 288 lines please ;)
WinApe uses 270, others between 270 and 272.
JavaCPC uses 272 lines.

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:09, 13 February 12
I see my 288 scanlines quite perfect on my CPC Plus monitor (color) and there are even maybe 2-3 scanlines more at the lower end. I have to make a picture in Spring.
Handcounted? ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

ced64k

I don't think the PS Vita can run homebrew code at this time   ;D

TFM

@Markus: Sorry mate, I make my software for CPC and not for emulators. Honestly I don't even give a crap if my soft runs on emulators or not, because the emu developpers are responsible for their programs. If they fail (for example by showing not enough scan lines), then it's their problem. I will not make a program running worse on CPC because then it would run better on emulators.

The CPC is the master standart! Not any kind of emulator! And in this case also the Plus has to be considered, which needs(!) the 288 scanlines.

- End of line -
TFM of FutureSoft