News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

games protection with .DSK and extended .DSK

Started by genesis8, 01:32, 06 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

genesis8

Just an idea, but could emulators use the format of the HxC sdcard emulator disk file to be able to play games using protections which .DSK and extended .DSK cant handle ?

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#SDCARDFloppyemulator

Executioner

Quote from: genesis8 on 01:32, 06 May 10
Just an idea, but could emulators use the format of the HxC sdcard emulator disk file to be able to play games using protections which .DSK and extended .DSK cant handle ?

Being able to use low-level (bit-level) formats such as ADF would require very accurate emulation of the FDC and disk drive hardware, including the ability to convert the bit data to and from FM/MFM format and to store that information back in the file if writing is included. Although this isn't impossible, no-one has done this for a CPC emulator, and there may be quite some overhead in processing the image (possibly slowing down the emulation). Of course, as computers get faster and memory cheaper, this is less of a problem.

It would be nice to be able to use a raw format with emulators, and if I   had the time I'd re-write the entire FDC emulation in WinAPE and JEMU   again to support raw images, and even convert DSK images to raw formats   internally for use.

The recently proposed (and implemented) extensions of the EDSK format along with accurate timing and FDC emulation should allow almost 100% of protection schemes to be emulated, so long as the emulators support them properly. I have started testing the latest WinAPE with all the DSK images on CPC Power, but it's a big job. Maybe people can pick some letters and test all the original images for me, letting me know about the ones that don't work. If you'd like to do this, I'll send you the latest 2.0A18 pre-release and tell you how to configure it for maximum compatibility.