News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

JavaCPC Desktop 1.0 official release

Started by Devilmarkus, 11:05, 14 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Morn

To debug the remaining issue with high CPU usage from kmix and pavucontrol, I've made a plot. Plotted is kmix CPU usage over time in seconds. I start JavaCPC at 10 s and quit at 90 s.

In the blue run, I do nothing in the emulator. Things go crazy at about 45 s. In the green run, I press Backspace all the time to get the terminal bell sound. Still, at about 65 s, the same thing happens. There is also an early spike at about 15 s in both cases that settles after a few seconds.

[attach=2]

So things start OK and only go south after about 30 s to a minute JavaCPC runtime.

P.S. This is also similar the behavior I saw with pure ALSA when I uninstalled PulseAudio. Fine for a minute or so, then sound degrades.

P.P.S. If I start three YouTube videos in different tabs in Chrome and all run simultaneously, I still *never* get more than 1% kmix CPU usage, even after several minutes.

Morn

After some fiddling with a debug build of kmix I think the Linux audio issue may be a buffer underrun in PulseAudio. At least somehow the sources get drained, which should not happen.

The command

pacmd list-sink-inputs|grep state

initially shows "state: RUNNING" for all 3 streams. When audio degrades after about a minute, they are "state: DRAINED".

I believe PA disconnects drained inputs. Kmix console output shows endless alternations of

kmix(4017) Mixer_PULSE::removeWidget: MixDevice 1 useCount= 7
kmix(4017) Mixer_PULSE::removeWidget: MixDevice 2 useCount= 6
kmix(4017) Mixer_PULSE::removeWidget: MixDevice 3 useCount= 5

followed by

kmix(4017) Mixer_PULSE::addDevice: Adding Pulse volume  "stream:7984" , isCapture=  false , isAppStream=  true = true , devnum= 2

This constant removing of mixers and adding them again is what causes kmix and pavucontrol to have high CPU usage.

remax

It was March, 16th of 2015 that JavaCPC started developping is own consciousness, just after having incorporated CPCGamesCD...

(c) JavaCPCinator 2.0e
Brain Radioactivity

Devilmarkus

Quote from: remax on 20:34, 16 March 15
It was March, 16th of 2015 that JavaCPC started developping is own consciousness, just after having incorporated CPCGamesCD...

(c) JavaCPCinator 2.0e

Really?  8)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

remax

Brain Radioactivity

Gryzor

Quote from: phi2x on 21:25, 07 March 15
I remember that I pleaded for such a thing in the CPC community for a long time... without success unfortunately. :'(

But why no JSON?
XML is so 2005!!  ;)

Can you believe I've still got your email in my inbox? Every now and then I think about it but what we had discussed as hurdles largely remains...

Phi2x

Morn

Quote from: phi2x on 21:39, 16 March 15
JavaCPCnet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, March 18th.
In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
JavaCPCnet fights back...
Of course it has been establlshed that Skynet will use 6502 assembly, so unless JavaCPC jumps languages we should be pretty safe.  :D

[attach=2]

TFM

That's a 6502 emulator running on a CPC.  :P
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Morn

Quote from: TFM on 20:13, 17 March 15
That's a 6502 emulator running on a CPC.  :P
As this is JavaCPC, it's actually a 6502 emulator running inside Pacman running inside an Atari emulator running inside a Mandelbrot set running in a web browser. JavaCPC Desktop, the GNU Emacs of CPC emulators!  ;D

Devilmarkus

Update from v2.9h to 2.9j changelog:

- Bugfixes in Amstrad BDD Gui, CPC-Power should work now in testmode
- RolandRadio added to Desktop (Listen and enjoy the music from Roland Radio | Amstrad CPC music & very much more)
- Triple size option for display size added (Fuckings to GreatXerox :-P )
- Minor bugfix in FDC emulation

Download:
JavaCPC Desktop - Java CPC Emulator | SourceForge.net
Or
http://cpc-live.com/download.php?view.2

Carnivius

Keep up the good work, sir.   This and WinApe have been used by me for years now. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Devilmarkus

JavaCPC 2.9m is out...

Changelog:
- Fixed the Roland Radio player application
- Removed the automatic check for "Update.jar" and other resource files in userdir\JavaCPC\ (Users can check these files manually now in the help menu: "Check JavaCPC")
- Fixed some minor things in CRTC emulation (And probably added more bugs)
- Added CNGSoft`s compacted games to Amstrad BDD (Today César's server isn't reachable, but it hopefully comes back?!?)
- Fixed some problems in CPC emulation core (Nothing noticeable for users)

Zoe Robinson

Okay, I'm probably being a total noob here but since my CPC's monitor isn't working right now, I'm back on emulators for the time being. I've just come across a problem I've not encountered in the past because up to now, I've not needed to use the "copy" key.

Using JavaCPC for Mac on an English keyboard, what is the "Copy" key mapped to, please? I don't seem to be able to find it.

TFM

That's the old problem. All other emulators have it on that key left of space, but for JavaCPC it's probably some key somewhere right up the keyboard.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Devilmarkus

Nothing more simple than that:
Copy key is mapped to "insert" key... ;)

And you, @TFM, should know this :P As we spoke often about it  :picard: :doh: :-*

TFM

Well it still gives me problems. But I've been right as far as I remembered that it is a key somewhere right up there.

Now, it would be nice if you could move the COPY key where it belongs.  :-* :-* :-*
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

Quote from: TFM on 17:10, 12 October 15
Now, it would be nice if you could move the COPY key where it belongs.  :-* :-* :-*

As you see, your PC has no Copy key... And the ALT key is already used for other things...

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 17:15, 12 October 15
As you see, your PC has no Copy key... And the ALT key is already used for other things...

The Alt key is supposed to be the copy key, it has no good function anyway, just takes control off the CPC and one ends up in some menues and activate a function not wanted. Then chaos begins...  :o
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

Quote from: TFM on 17:18, 12 October 15
Then chaos begins...  :o

Just, when you try to code C64 things on the CPC...

TFM

Haha! I'm the last in the universe who would do that.  :P :P :P  But why not adding a poll and ask people what they want? Are you going to do it, or shall I?  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

No need to create a poll, as the key stays on Insert...
(I hate "consuming keyboard events" just for a single key, just to avoid popping up the menu)

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 16:11, 12 October 15
Nothing more simple than that:
Copy key is mapped to "insert" key... ;)

Ah. I don't think an iMac keyboard has an "insert" key...

Apple Keyboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TFM

There we have the problem! Come on Markus, don't be so bully. Can't be a problem to move one key to another. Or at least provide some kind of option to do that.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 20:41, 12 October 15
Ah. I don't think an iMac keyboard has an "insert" key...

Apple Keyboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will map it to ALT key, too... Gimme some minutes to add it...

Edit: Also should work with CLEAR key on Mac...

Quote from: TFM on 20:52, 12 October 15
There we have the problem! Come on Markus, don't be so bully. Can't be a problem to move one key to another. Or at least provide some kind of option to do that.  :)

Nah just you have a problem  :laugh: :-* I was just kidding :P