News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Started by Phi2x, 21:24, 15 February 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Phi2x

beaker

lol, I don't know if that tops Donkeypedia from a few years back but comes damn close.  ;D

MaV

Wow, just wow!

Apparently boot-licking and kissing certain people's rings ( (c) tastefulmrship ;) ) can take you a long way.

Imagine the resources you would have at hand for three years! (and look at what they did with it.)
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TFM

Quote from: phi2x on 21:24, 15 February 12
Well, you know, it's quite complex to make a front-end in Java. It's an EU "research" project after all.
So the budget is 3M€ (yep, that's 3.000.000€ !!!)

Well, that's quite tight! We got six times more for 4th generation sequencers due to Obamas stimulus package last year.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ralferoo

Seriously, this kind of project makes me insanely angry at the expenditure of vast amounts of money for no good reason.

It doesn't (seem to) contribute anything to the people who made the emulators and doesn't actually (seem to) provide any benefits over what was there before.

From a rough calculation, with 7 emulators on the list (most of which aren't Java based anyway), that's enough to pay each development for 5 developers each for 3 years. Given that that doesn't actually seem to be happening, where exactly does the money go?

MaV

Quote from: ralferoo on 12:14, 16 February 12
Given that that doesn't actually seem to be happening, where exactly does the money go?
I have a vision of one or two villas in the mediterranean with an excellent view to the sea.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Devilmarkus

All I see here is a stupid GUI which is able to analyze some file formats and tell you which emulator you should use.
It also has the emulators embedded.
(On my PC the deprecated JavaCPC version does not even startup, because they used an old executable!!! They would better use the .JAR emulator instead!!!)

And fact: Dunno, who earns the tons of money, but I (and the others surely, too) did not earn any penny!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

Oh go on Markus, admit it... You're posting from a luxury yacht somewhere off the coast of France at the moment aren't you? :D

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Sure, I owned the Costa Concordia...
While I read your posting, I had an "oops" with a reef and thats it!!! :(

[attach=2]

Quote from: Bryce on 13:38, 16 February 12
Oh go on Markus, admit it... You're posting from a luxury yacht somewhere off the coast of France at the moment aren't you? :D

Bryce.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

deepfb

According to KEEP's webpage, the beneficiaries of their funds are institutions such the Koninklijke Bibliotheek, the University of Portsmouth or the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek. I am sure that there is people working there on something the EU can see, not only that frontend -I have worked for the EU, and they are as strict with the payment rules as we all want them to be on this issue :-)

Another beneficiary of KEEP funds is Vincent Joguin, and it seems he is involved within KEEP's board too. I think I have met his name before when looking for emulator tools, and a quick search tells that he is the author of FaST emulator and Disk2FDI utility. So it's not european officials having an expensive Brunello with the bellinas at that italian villa, but at least somebody who knows what an Atari ST is ;-D

Anyway, we will try to have Andreas Lange (director of the Computerspiele Museum of Berlin) as a guest speaker at RetroMadrid, next May. We want him to explain KEEP projects (I think he was a kind of 'curator' of the organization some time ago), and, of course, how did  he managed to establish the Computerspiele Museum :-). I met him three years ago when he was acting as speaker in a lecture on videogames as cultural goods. He explained what KEEP is and the then current projects of the organization: they had produced a lot of papers on how the emulation and preservation activities should be led so the industry wouldn't complain, i.e. a manual of good practices to emulate and create software archives so the people behind them wouldn't be sued for copyright infringements. In order to produce those papers they had contacted a bunch of emulator authors and the European Games Developer Federation, and they had published the results at their webpage.

As matter of fact, I asked him to come back to explain everything further, and he said he couldn't afford that since he will be paying everything himself and he was not rich enough to come to Madrid every year. So the amount of KEEP's budget seems abusive and insulting, although they think it's not legitimate to pay 200 euro (the amount of money that RetroMadrid organizers will be paying for Lange's trip and accommodation) to have one of their members showing their work here ;-)

Gryzor

You. Must. Be. Fucking. Kidding me. We're sure it's not 3.000,000 (depending on your notation)?

Phi2x

Gryzor

4 million euros. 4. MILLION. Wtf, how long would it take ONE average programmer to come up with it? And, comparatively, what would, say, WinAPE be worth?

Phi2x

Phi2x

TFM

A princess waits until the knight finds her...  :-*

But life is not a ferry tale...  :P

Wake up and get in contact with them by yourself!!!  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Executioner

Quote from: phi2x on 00:47, 18 February 12
As a side note, if any EU official comes by and reads here, I hereby offer my service for the next EU framework programme.

Me too.. If they want an emulation platform for any platform in Java, C, C++, Pascal or any other language, I'm happy to learn it if the money is that good!

Gryzor

Quote from: Executioner on 07:20, 20 February 12
Me too.. If they want an emulation platform for any platform in Java, C, C++, Pascal or any other language, I'm happy to learn it if the money is that good!

So you wouldn't do it for a measly €1m? :D

Executioner

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:39, 20 February 12
So you wouldn't do it for a measly €1m? :D

That'd just about cover me full time for a year :)

Bryce

For €4.000.000 I'll build them the computers they want so they won't need an emulator. :)

Bryce.

MacDeath

*Seriously what is it supposed to be or do ?

I think it's just a cover for some secret European agency with a secret agenda and so on.

But as a "European retro-computer citizen" I don't like to see our money on "great projects" but with such shitty execution.

The guy who shat this should be in jail like all those governments who turned the banks' debt into a public debt...

Oh, and said banker too.

And Allan Sugar, because we know he stole us money by no putting 128K on all the CPC...

And Sir Clive because his Speccy was the plague that infected our beloved Amstrads and because no mortal man should have such a hot slutty wife and get away with it (be it with the clivemobile, this poor excuse of an electric vehicle...).

I can't believe the elected poeples and Technocrat stil ldon't know squat shit about computers.

In france we had this "plan informatique pour tous" that brough the awesomness of Thomson 8bit computer unto the World...

Those public-money sinks could'nt even just be as good as a simple CPC...
Were they clever they should have got a license by Amstrad to build CPC compatible models instead...

We would have had some Amstrad PLUS with mouse and 256K RAM and in built 3"1/2 720k floppies.
as soon as 1986... (Imagine, a proper "Amstrad TO8PLUS"... )
;D

Just look at elected peoples what do we have ?

"Political Science" (=science ?), Medecine Doctors (ok, why not, so they are good at inserting suppositories...) , Lawyers (= professionnal liar and law abusers), Economists (=lobbyists), and "professionnal politician" (some sort of Travelling salesman mod actually)...

But are there any Engineer ?
Any professionnal programmer ?
Computing science eminancies ?

Nope...
But to design a law system is actually closer to programming than anything else.

But hey, to design good law system is not what needed to be a politician, you just need to be "overly social" and somewhat corrupted...

Gryzor

Erm... I hold a B.Sc. Econ, and am no lobbyist :D

Back on topic...

robcfg

By the way, did we mention that we're having Andreas Lange as guest in RetroMadrid? Maybe we can kidnap him and ask for a million or two  ;D

Gryzor

Hey, what do you think the Wiki should be worth in EU context? :D