News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Which OS does your "emulation" computer use?

Started by arnoldemu, 13:37, 11 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Which OS does your "emulation" computer use?

32-bit Windows XP
8 (9.5%)
32-bit Windows 7
4 (4.8%)
64-bit Windows 7
30 (35.7%)
32-bit Windows 8
0 (0%)
64-bit Windows 8
15 (17.9%)
32-bit Linux
1 (1.2%)
64-bit Linux
12 (14.3%)
Other linux (raspberry pi etc)
3 (3.6%)
Older Windows (2000, windows 95)
0 (0%)
Mac PPC
0 (0%)
Mac OSX
11 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 00:35, 19 November 15
I think the best we can do is donate a modernish Mac mini to @arnoldemu. A core2duo will still run Mavericks, Yosemite or ElCapitan right?

Or he can give me instructions and I'll be the crash dummy! My term finished today, I've fuck all to do for the next eight weeks! xD
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

arnoldemu

I think the best we can do is donate a modernish Mac mini to @arnoldemu. A core2duo will still run Mavericks, Yosemite or ElCapitan right?
I would happily accept the lowest spec intel mac mini that would allow me to visit the app store install xcode and the command-line tools and build wxwidgets and arnold. Lower spec also means I can easily see performance problems when they happen.

Shaun is helping but it's much easier if I could use one myself.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

chinnyhill10

Quote from: arnoldemu on 18:32, 19 November 15
I would happily accept the lowest spec intel mac mini that would allow me to visit the app store install xcode and the command-line tools and build wxwidgets and arnold. Lower spec also means I can easily see performance problems when they happen.

Could we crowdfund it? Actually do a proper job on this so you can get the resources and equipment you need to get this up and running? And hell, and also to make it worth your while?

I think a modest goal of whatever a second hand Mini or refurbed Mini of a decent spec + some beer tokens would do it? Anyone have any thoughts? 400 quid?
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: arnoldemu on 18:32, 19 November 15

Would remote access to my machine via a shell help, Kev?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dodogildo

I've a spare Mac mini (a 2006 model most likely) , sleeping in the office storage. I can donate this if it helps. I'll check the configuration tomorrow and share with you guys.

Just tell me if it's too old or not?
M'enfin!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: dodogildo on 18:56, 19 November 15
I've a spare Mac mini (a 2006 model most likely) , sleeping in the office storage. I can donate this if it helps. I'll check the configuration tomorrow and share with you guys.

Just tell me if it's too old or not?

Think its too old to even run a recent-ish OSX let alone the latest which will be a problem developing for the latest platform.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Lone

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:24, 18 November 15

Fair point. I'm not using it for precision stuff. It's mainly just checking or quickly comparing images before I put them onto the real deal.

Does any emulator read or write directly to HxC format yet? That would be a boon. Pop the SD card out the computer straight into the CPC without all that tedious conversion stuff.

A bit of teasing from me : Next Sugarbox release will support HFE convertion (as well as a debugger). I'm currently testing it a bit, and it manage to convert "Le necromancien" original dsk dump, famous for being a nightmare of a protection.
Unfortunately, it runs only for Windows...

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 18:39, 19 November 15

Could we crowdfund it? Actually do a proper job on this so you can get the resources and equipment you need to get this up and running? And hell, and also to make it worth your while?

I think a modest goal of whatever a second hand Mini or refurbed Mini of a decent spec + some beer tokens would do it? Anyone have any thoughts? 400 quid?
You can count me in. Mavericks capable C2D should be doable for about the €400 mark. Count me in for at least €50. I'll keep an eye on the Irish auction sites too.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Shaun M. Neary

Thats on adverts.ie, you can probably get a swap for a half chewed Snickers and a clapped out Nissan Almera.

(for those outside of Ireland, that site is notorious as a seller as it attracts the worst of the low ballers and tyre kickers. I'm currently having a horrible time on it trying to sell two lenses.)

dodogildo

I checked out the old Mac Mini. It seems to be older than I remember:
-G4 PowerPC G4 1.25 GHz 512 Ram and CDRW

Well, if you think it's still usable for dev/test purposes; @arnoldemu you can always drop me a PM...

M'enfin!

TFM

Quote from: Lone on 22:53, 19 November 15
A bit of teasing from me : Next Sugarbox release will support HFE convertion (as well as a debugger). I'm currently testing it a bit, and it manage to convert "Le necromancien" original dsk dump, famous for being a nightmare of a protection.
Unfortunately, it runs only for Windows...

Actually fortunate for the majority of people.  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

I have made some progress with Arnold on Mac. :)
Shaun is helping :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Shaun M. Neary

To be fair, Kev is getting more progress on Mountain Lion than I am with Yosemite.
But it's looking good.  :)

chinnyhill10

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

CraigsBar

Damn! In the wiki outage last night we missed out on a 2009 Mac mini with 4gb ram, 2.53ghz c2d and elcapitan for 163 euro. Would have been perfect for @arnoldemu

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:37, 02 December 15
Damn! In the wiki outage last night we missed out on a 2009 Mac mini with 4gb ram, 2.53ghz c2d and elcapitan for 163 euro. Would have been perfect for @arnoldemu

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Ebay needs the CPCWiki to work properly??? :D

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 14:50, 02 December 15

Ebay needs the CPCWiki to work properly??? :D

Bryce.
adverts.ie not eBay.... And no, but I do before shelling out a load of money for what would hopefully be a crowd funded osx dev box for @arnoldemu;)

duncan_bayne