News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WinAPE DSK image corruption

Started by Executioner, 23:29, 14 September 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Executioner

Hi Everyone,

I've had reports over the years that WinAPE either deletes DSK image files or truncates them to 0 bytes in some cases. I've never been able to reproduce this, although I think I had it happen once on a much earlier release, ages ago. Most of the DSK emulation has been rewritten in the last few releases. I recently read in the old german forum some users complaining about it.

Has anyone had this happen with a recent version? If so, does anyone know of a way to reproduce the problem so I can track it down?

fano

HI ! i already had the problem when using disc drive B and writting on it.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

TFM

I still have this problem at two(!) different PCs. One of five gets shot. So I always make a copy of a DSK image, before using if for WinApe. Which is just not funny.

The problem with WinApe is simple, that it altes the DSK without prompting the user.

Also, the SFII RTC still don't work in BCD mode.

Another problem is what happens if you quit Winape (DSK inserted) and then for example move the DSK or rename or erase it. Check it out.

Only few IDE commands of the SFII IDE part are supported.

WinApe is a very good emulator, but a bit too buggy, without this issues it would be the best!!! Winape is enough to run SOS, but it can't run FutureOS, that sucks.

Take it as a positive kind of critics to make it better!

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Executioner

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:08, 15 September 09
I still have this problem at two(!) different PCs. One of five gets shot. So I always make a copy of a DSK image, before using if for WinApe. Which is just not funny.

What does it actually do to the DSK image? Can you give me steps to reliably reproduce this because I haven't had it happen myself? Are you formatting the DSK or just writing to it? Is it a special format?

QuoteThe problem with WinApe is simple, that it altes the DSK without prompting the user.

I'm not sure how long it's been there, but if you press F2, you'll find a check box for each drive Promt to save changes

QuoteAlso, the SFII RTC still don't work in BCD mode.

I tried to figure out what this was doing wrong by single-stepping through the FuturOS code, but never quite figured it out. It works fine from BASIC. I'll see if I can find the time to go through this again.

QuoteAnother problem is what happens if you quit Winape (DSK inserted) and then for example move the DSK or rename or erase it. Check it out.

Usually, it will create the DSK because it doesn't exist. It won't do this if you have the above check box checked without prompting. You can also check the Temporary Writes check box to make it never save changes.

QuoteOnly few IDE commands of the SFII IDE part are supported.

Yes, the ones used by SymbOS are supported, others are only partially supported. Can you be more specific as to what you want supported.

QuoteWinApe is a very good emulator, but a bit too buggy, without this issues it would be the best!!! Winape is enough to run SOS, but it can't run FutureOS, that sucks.

Take it as a positive kind of critics to make it better!

I do, thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have much time at the moment to do updates or fixes... Hopefully I'll catch up with work soon.

MiguelSky

Quote from: TFM on 20:08, 15 September 09Another problem is what happens if you quit Winape (DSK inserted) and then for example move the DSK or rename or erase it. Check it out.
In my case, a 256 bytes size ghost dsk is created. It's quite annoying, I haven't been able to avoid this. Maybe should I delete any Windows registry key?

GUNHED

Quote from: MiguelSky on 11:03, 06 May 20
In my case, a 256 bytes size ghost dsk is created. It's quite annoying, I haven't been able to avoid this. Maybe should I delete any Windows registry key?
IMHO that will not help, it's WinApe itself. It doesn't find the DSK at the place where it was before, so it just makes a new one, but 256 bytes only. That does lead to confusion.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

skylas

I have noticed that sometimes, i thought that it was maybe due to have opened 2 emulators.
Winape is my favourite emulator. Just another thing i think i had noticed is that is saves the file after you close the emulator, so if you have saved a program that you work on and not closed the emulator, and electricity is off, then you may lose it. Not sure completely about it, but that was the impression i had.
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

megachur

For me WINAPE does this :

When you open a DSK file, it takes the "write right" of the file.

So you can't write on or move the DSK file during the execution of WINAPE...

First bug : If you close WINAPE and move after the DSK file to another location...When you open WINAPE it create an empty DSK file with the same DSK filename at the old location of the DSK...

Second thing (is it really a bug ?) : as WinAPE don't make an exclusive access to the DSK file, you can open the DSK file with another tool or Emulator but it's 'read only' in this case.
If you modify the DSK file with the other tool or emulator and if this others programs don't check the 'access right' of the file, you will not modify the DSK file and loose your change !
Then when WinAPE close the file or the user quit WINAPE, the DSK file is writen only with the change made in WINAPE...
The first bug can be resolved easly by Executioner... Hope to see this in the new release of WinAPE soon !  ;D

freemac

Files are flush at close of WinAPE, ones opened by emulator, and ones opened by emulator's editor.
I create a lot of new disk.

Sometime, deleting file while WinAPE is closed, make ghost file (with just 1KB, the disk header no tracks)