News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
T

WinApe Keyboard Issue

Started by The_Mole_UK2, 12:24, 12 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Mole_UK2

Dear Richard,

There is an annoying bug that prevents my full enjoyment of your emulator and be great if you could fix this in time for Christmas and my birthday. :).

When defining the keyboard I have the keyboard normal with numlock off but with numlock on I want to move the joystick.  What I have worked out works great for joystick only games and joystick games.  Plus is better for notebooks as they are missing numerical keys.

The trouble is there is no option to remove a key once assigned - only change it.  I want to remove some assigned keys to nothing and then reassign them.   Also when you assign the joystick it does not automatically delete the key you assigned.  So if Left is set to z, z still types z.  z should be nothing.

So you get an arrow and a z pressed together.  If I can delete an assign, can work round that manually but something to add later.  I just want a keyboard file I can set up as I want.

The best workaround is to assign F15 instead of nothing.  But I would like nothing.

Could you upload an update just to allow a key to be unassigned?  Otherwise love it....

Thank you.

Also would like to chat privately to ask your opinion on an idea...

Gryzor

Hmmm? Didn't you just create an account-why post as Guest mate?  :) welcome anyhow!

The_Mole_UK

Was trying to type on an iPod Touch 5.  On a PC now so I can see what I am doing...

I plan to set up an old Notebook sometime with Windows XP SP3+Upds and WinApe latest.  Quite like to play with it again...

The_Mole_UK

I sent the following (amended email) to Richard, but have been unable to reach him on the website email.
Hoped he may pop in here and see it...

Dear Richard,

There is an annoying bug that prevents my full enjoyment of your emulator and be great if you could fix this in time for Christmas and my birthday. :) .

When defining the keyboard I have the keyboard normal with numlock off but with numlock on I want to move the joystick.  What I have worked out works great for joystick only games and joystick games.  Plus is better for notebooks as they are missing numerical keys.

Happy to send you my file...  F15 is used instead of unassigned.

The trouble is there is no option to remove a key once assigned - only change it.  I want to remove some assigned keys to nothing and then reassign others.

Also when you assign the joystick it does not automatically delete the key you assigned to the joystick.  So if Left Joystick (Num on) is set to z, z key still types z.  z should be nothing!

So you get an arrow and a z pressed together.  If I can delete an assign, I can work round that manually but something to add later.  I just want a keyboard file I can set up as I want.

If I make a mistake, I have to start over as two keys do the same thing!

The best workaround is to assign F15 instead of nothing.  But I would like to  be able to make it blank out again.

Could you please upload an update just to allow a key to be unassigned?

Otherwise love it....  it's the best emulator I have used...

Thank you.

Jason Smith

Gryzor

No problem, was just wondering.

Richard is @Executioner here, and he's very helpful, so...

The_Mole_UK

The reason I like numlock on for the joystick emulation is because then it is already set up for Burnin' Rubber. :)

The_Mole_UK

>Richard is @Executioner here, and he's very helpful, so...

Thirty years of the CPC next year - like to see the 6128/6128 Plus make a comeback as a v5.

Was thinking with the advances in technology and speed you could have a device not far off what the PI is like and effectively make it boot as a CPC 6128 or 6128 Plus.  Richard's emulator is brilliant because it does all the stuff I didn't have.  We spoke in the past once and I modified his ROM to allow a 3" B so works better with the emulator.

If a Pi booted as a CPC, or there was a dedicated circuit that did similar (maybe ran the ROMs, Discs and Carts from SD card?)  HDMI to the TV.  Maybe a dedicated Amstrad keyboard.  Something to put to Lordy - even if a limited edition model?

I really like how Richard has done the Multiface 2 in also.  So there is possibly something where you combine the software of Richards with a circuit board/keyboard and you have a v5.  But instead of actual discs or tapes, you just emulate the discs.  So you have a 32GB SD card maybe in it?  The ROMs, the Cartridges and the Discs all look in ROMs, Cartridges and Discs respectively.

And what you could do too is have clean images that are not cracked maybe as downloads for 69p.

The User-Guide could be made as a PDF.  Incidentally is there a disc image with the programs typed up?  I made some changes but no longer have it...  I'd also like to see games converted images but not all cracked and messy and pay 69p to download...

You could do that on the PC and just connect the box to your PC via USB perhaps to copy data across?
Or you make the money from the hardware itself and provide a back catalogue of old software with the machine that is clean.

It keeps going round in my head.  I can see there is something here and it looks like my NowTV. :)

The_Mole_UK

Final question: What is the best USB controller/joystick that works with Winape?  Thanks in advance.

Darren

I have an issue:  Whenever I am in full screen mode and press F10, the screen just goes black and basically my computer crashes, tried pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del, but nothing  :(

ssr86

Quote from: The_Mole_UK on 17:37, 12 December 14
Final question: What is the best USB controller/joystick that works with Winape?  Thanks in advance.
I couldn't find a joypad that would normally work with a cpc emulator but I found JoyToKey (JoyToKey - Basic Features) - a program that maps keyboard keys  to joypad buttons and it works well (at least for me)...

Quote from: Darren on 21:45, 15 December 14
I have an issue:  Whenever I am in full screen mode and press F10, the screen just goes black and basically my computer crashes, tried pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del, but nothing  :(
I have a similar problem (windows 8 - winape won't go fullscreen when I press f10 and just goes black (although my computer doesn't crash and winape still works). I get the following message:
"TDirectDraw.SetDisplayMode:SetDisplayMode: Action not supported (-2147467263).

Executioner

Quote from: The_Mole_UK2 on 12:24, 12 December 14
The trouble is there is no option to remove a key once assigned - only change it.  I want to remove some assigned keys to nothing and then reassign them.   Also when you assign the joystick it does not automatically delete the key you assigned.  So if Left is set to z, z still types z.  z should be nothing.

I've made a modification to the next release of WinAPE which will allow '(none)' to be selected as a key.

The fact that Z still maps to Z is by design, you need to unmap it manually.

Executioner

Quote from: ssr86 on 22:30, 15 December 14
I have a similar problem (windows 8 - winape won't go fullscreen when I press f10 and just goes black (although my computer doesn't crash and winape still works). I get the following message:
"TDirectDraw.SetDisplayMode:SetDisplayMode: Action not supported (-2147467263).

Sounds like your video card doesn't support 800x600 mode at all as that's the only mode that WinAPE currently uses for Full-Screen emulation.

KaosOverride

May I suggest the support of the undocumented Fire3 for PC Joysticks? I tried it modifying the Caprice source, and is great for various games, such as in Ikari Warriors to redefine the Toggle on Fire 3 (but not allowed on FIRE2)

At the input options I can only see FIRE 1 and FIRE2.
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

Executioner

Quote from: KaosOverride on 21:31, 08 June 15
May I suggest the support of the undocumented Fire3 for PC Joysticks?

What is the undocumented FIRE 3? Never heard of it.

CraigsBar

AMX mouse 3rd button :)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

KaosOverride

This:  Connector:Digital joystick - CPCWiki

Pin 5 is Fire 3. If you make it avaiable for PC joysticks some things like redefine at Ikari Warriors the toggle key for Fire 3 can be done and play only from joystick (Fire 2 can't, is filtered to not let be redefined)

Also it is considered as "key", not "joy" at many other games, as I recall North&South  allow to redefine Select to Fire 3

Well, if real PC Joysticks just supports CPC Fire 3, maybe has no sense to have Fire 3 at input menu to simulate it from keyboard if is just used to assign a CPC key function redefined to joystick
KaosOverride · GitHub

ZbyniuR

Yeah. It make sens. Fire 3 work as key number 78.
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

arnoldemu

don't forget fire 3 on cpc joystick 2 ;)

edit: oh and fire 3 doesn't work on plus or aleste...
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Quote from: arnoldemu on 18:43, 02 July 15
don't forget fire 3 on cpc joystick 2 ;)

edit: oh and fire 3 doesn't work on plus or aleste...

It does on mine. Just solder it in.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 20:22, 02 July 15

It does on mine. Just solder it in.  :)
Can you provide details of the fire 3 mod for a plus. It would be really handy for my AMX mouse adaptor. Please don't say I need to solder onto the asic?

KaosOverride

What an epic fail Amstrad did not wiring Fire3 at the Plus... But should be as easy as wiring pin 5 of both joystick ports to the corresponding pin of the AY, with the diode for clash avoid, shouldn't it??
KaosOverride · GitHub

TotO

Epic fail?
During all the CPC life (and others like Amiga), all computer controllers was wired with only one fire button... So, thank to the GX/PLUS controller to kept 2 buttons at end!  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

KaosOverride

But not full compatible with AMX mouse :(

We have to mod all our pluses for the new developments :(
KaosOverride · GitHub

CraigsBar

Quote from: KaosOverride on 09:02, 03 July 15

Indeed. If I knew the details of this mod, I'd do it for sure.

TotO

Quote from: KaosOverride on 09:02, 03 July 15
How many programs use it since 30 years? Made first a new developpement. Use 2 buttons for main features.
The 3rd button must be optional or customisable. If the user don't have it, he can use a keyboard key as alternative.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)