News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WinApe right Shift key

Started by HAL6128, 21:14, 20 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

HAL6128

I have small trouble with WinApe. If I press the right Shift-Key on my PC then WinApe's CPC-Emulator prints out cryptical stuff. Look at attached picture.
Does somebody else has such a problem? Is there a solution?
Thanks in advance.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

MiguelSky

It seems you have changed its function in Settings/Input. You can change this there. Does this occurs when pressing alone or combined?

Devilmarkus

The "encrypted" stuff looks like a non-working PPI port (keyboard malfunction in AY)

You should check winape.ini file ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

HAL6128

I've installed three version (07, 17 and 18) and every WinApe Emulator shows the same problem.
I've checked the input settings and loaded the default.kbd. But the problem is still there.
Reinstallation doesn't solve the problem, or overwriting the winape.ini file.
But I found out that this problem only occurs on my PC. If I copy the whole folder on another PC WinApe keyboard works correct.
hmmm.... :(

MiguelSky

Perhaps a Windows registry clean is needed...

HAL6128

...thanks for hint, but no success. I deleted every item with "winape" manually in regedit. Installed WinApe again. The same problem as before. (It's a Win7 System)
Damn...

Devilmarkus

As it really looks like an AY failure, you should check your soundcard?!?
I have no idea, what could it be... But when I fiddle @ JavaCPC's AY emulation (read/writeport) I encounter the same trouble, when the AY is not connected.

Does this happen, when you PRESS right shift, or when you RELEASE it? Or only in combination with other keys, too?

(Use JavaCPC instead :P )

HAL6128

It happens if I PRESS right shift keys and no combination with other keys.

I didn't check my soundcard so far, but it works (I mean I hear music and sfx). It's a notebook. I'm going to check the driver (NVidia). Hmm... a couple of month ago I remeber there were no problems with WinApe. Maybe an Driver-Update issue?

Devilmarkus

You can try to enable / disable Direct X stretch functionality in WinApe, but I don't think, its caused by this.
Really, this only happens, when the CPC keyboard is not scanned properly... (And I don't think, that it's bad emulated in WinApe)

HAL6128

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 20:23, 26 June 12
... (And I don't think, that it's bad emulated in WinApe)
...you're right. If I copy the whole folder onto onother PC it works properly...

Executioner

Does the same thing happen with other CPC emulators?

HAL6128

...no, only WinApe. (If also tested WinCPC and JavaCPC).

Executioner

Try deleting the kbd file, you don't actually need it!

HAL6128

I've deleted the kbd-file, but no effect.
I've installed a second win7 system on the same PC. WinApe didn't start. Broke with an internal error!!
I'm going to change the nvidia driver. Let's see what happens.

Executioner

This appears to be causes by DirectX setting key[0] returned from GetKeyboardState as pressed. I have no idea why it would, but I use key[0] to indicate no definition. I have a new executable which you can try if you PM me your email address I'll send it for you to try.

greg

Hi,

I have the same trouble with WinAPE and the Right-Shift key.
I read you have maybe 1 new winape exe with 1 workaround, could you please send it me plz ?

Thanks
greg

Executioner

It looks like WinAPE is not the only program with the Right Shift problem. It appears to be causes by dodgy keyboard drivers (or the wrong ones). Have a look at the following http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=18465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=1eb9de2ef9185b928824ea0e19aa2704

Gryzor

Wtf? In 2012, dodgy keyboard drivers?

HAL6128

Quote from: Executioner on 06:00, 25 September 12
It looks like WinAPE is not the only program with the Right Shift problem. It appears to be causes by dodgy keyboard drivers (or the wrong ones). Have a look at the following http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=18465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=1eb9de2ef9185b928824ea0e19aa2704
...Yes! And this was exactly the solution of my problem. Using a HP notebook with a "MCIR 109 driver" installed. Changed to "HID conformal device" and now WinApe works with a proper keyboard output.
Thanks Executioner for looking around and finding that solving hint.  :)
(Next time I'll lift my ass to look in another places... promised. But I didn't expect that the same problem appears to another application ....maybe was relating to heavily to the CPC and not to a Windows app...)

Executioner

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:19, 25 September 12
Wtf? In 2012, dodgy keyboard drivers?

This is HP we're talking about. Great hardware, but poor software/drivers, still can't do 600 dpi scans across my network with a scanner I bought last year.

Gryzor

And I had started to worry I might get the same problem on the Vaio I'm contemplating to buy...