News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WinAPE - stupid user question

Started by betpet, 13:16, 25 June 09

Previous topic - Next topic

betpet

hi guys,

I asked a while back for assistance on ripping sprites from games run in an emulator.  The author generously showed me how to do it in WinAPE for Auf Wiedersehen Monty.  In my stupidity, I've forgotten how to do this and the thread seems to have disappeared so if anyone can tell me the steps to get the sprite map up, I'd be really grateful.

For anyone interested, I'm trying to do it for Hydrofool.

Cheers!
Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

ukmarkh

From memory you simply left click:

debug > Pause

and look to the bottom of the screen that opens up, you should see a small icon with a man standing in front of a blue and yellow background, click this icon to find graphics.

I think that's how you do it. Then just pause on your favourite sprite once you've loaded the game.

betpet

Brilliant!  I wasn't pausing which didn't help.  Cheers!

Saying that, I'm struggling like you wouldn't believe to align the sprites in the boxes.  Any tips?
Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

ukmarkh

Nope... I have the same problem? So why are you ripping sprites from games, are you thinking about doing your own???

betpet

Now that's between me, a Java IDE, a few sheets of ripped sprites, WinAPE and a disk image of Hydrofool and Auf Wiedersehen Monty ;)

Gryzor

Does it really work? I just loaded Gryzor and all I get is noise...

betpet

I just tried the Gryzor image and can't get past the French bit at the start.  Press 1 or 2 and nothing happens :(

Edit;

Try Hydrofool with the following settings:

Mode: Current
Zoom: 2
Address: 3E04
Width: 8
Height: 24
Encoding: CPC

You'll see lovely big sprites but the boxing isn't right.   If I could fix the boxing and rip all the sprites, I'd be a very happy man :D

Gryzor

What do you mean, about Gryzor? Which image are you using? Care attaching it?

betpet

Gryzor

Ah, you need to press 1 or 2 on the numerical keyboard. Check your NumLock status...

I still can't fund anything... only gibberish in the correct palette :D

betpet

First you need to start the game.  Then use these settings:

Mode: Current
Zoom: 1
Address: 82D0
Width: 16
Height: 51
Encoding: CPC

It seems Gryzor works differently to how I'd expect.  THose images looks a good representation of the background.  Maybe I've got it wrong...

Gryzor

Hmmm this is what I see there:

Is this correct???

betpet

That's as good as I got.  Does the EMU Author have any insights they can share with us?

Gryzor

Ah ok so I'm not crazy :D

No real reason I suppose, it's only that in order to make my avatar I had to strip and clean it in Photoshop...

Axelay

I think I read a while back (dont recall where) someone saying that Gryzor had every other byte 'flipped' for the purposes of left/right facing of the sprites.  It then only needs one copy of the sprites, and whether a sprite needs to be displayed facing left or right, only half of the bytes need flipping, so it wouldn't end up taking different amounts of time to draw the sprites facing in one direction or another.

Gryzor

Yeah, but still, shouldn't we be able to see something in that mess??

Executioner

Some of the sprites in Hydrofool appear to be 6x32 bytes (eg. at #3454), others are 8x24, 8x16, 6x24, 4x32, 4x24 etc. I think the table at #3040 probably has the size of each sprite (and maybe it's offset in memory) in it.

Executioner

Many Gryzor background tiles appear to be at #2000, 2x8. More at #8600, #8E00 etc (ie. in between screen blocks). There are two screens at #8000 and #c000, each using blocks of #600 bytes per row. (ie. #200 free x 8 rows). There also appears to be graphics data of various sizes at around #5300, but I can't see what sizes. Set it to 5 wide you can see some circles like when you shoot.

betpet

Top man!  I thought it had to be something like that.  My lack of Z80 skills doesn't help in any way :)

Gryzor

I guess there's *much* more to sprite coding than I thought...

remax

Does anyone knows a way to put a file on a .ide hard drive image file of Winape?
Brain Radioactivity

Executioner

Quote from: remax on 19:02, 29 September 10
Does anyone knows a way to put a file on a .ide hard drive image file of Winape?

Currently, about the only way is to use SymbOS file manager.

remax

Ok so no easy way to put large file on it? (e.g 10M)

It won't stand on a floppy and i can't mount my HD in Symbos cause it is NTFS (and i cant mount an USB flash drive in Winape even if it is formated in FAT32).
Brain Radioactivity

Executioner

I think you MAY be able to mount a USB flash drive in WinAPE if you edit the INI file directly... Not totally sure about that.