News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

my remake of CRAZY CARS

Started by barbarian.1987, 01:38, 25 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

barbarian.1987

hello

after Barbarian, it's me again with a new remake , Crazy Cars
i have done it in one month. the coding were very easy, in 1000 lines. the code is open source.
the website of the game and some photos:

CRAZY CARS CPC

i hope you will enjoy with this new remake. bye !
F.L

MacDeath

Nice choice.

good luck to you in this "new" project. :)

mr_lou

I sense you're kinda exited and happy about QB64?

I don't mind BASIC. But a language / SDK that only compiles to one platform just isn't enough these days in my opinion, when there's just a big mix of Windoze, Linux and Mac users out there. Before you know it, there'll also be a big group of Android users (sneaking in the backdoor with their tablets + wireless keyboards replacing their PC's at home).

I'm using Linux, and your game doesn't run with Wine for me.

ervin

It appears that QB64 is available for Windows, Linux and OSX.
Might be worth a try grabbing the crazy cars source and compiling it to the platform of your choice?
I'll try compiling it for OSX a bit later.

mr_lou

Quote from: ervin on 06:46, 25 August 12
It appears that QB64 is available for Windows, Linux and OSX.
Might be worth a try grabbing the crazy cars source and compiling it to the platform of your choice?
I'll try compiling it for OSX a bit later.

Ah, so there is.
I took a look at it. Could only get it to run after replacing all paths with an absolute one.
But attached in the Linux version, compiled on Ubuntu 32bit x386.

barbarian.1987

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:15, 25 August 12
I sense you're kinda exited and happy about QB64?

I don't mind BASIC. But a language / SDK that only compiles to one platform just isn't enough these days in my opinion, when there's just a big mix of Windoze, Linux and Mac users out there. Before you know it, there'll also be a big group of Android users (sneaking in the backdoor with their tablets + wireless keyboards replacing their PC's at home).

I'm using Linux, and your game doesn't run with Wine for me.

with the source (the *.bas file in "source" directory) everybody can compile easily the apple or linux version.
download QB64 QB64 Homepage to do it.
open my *.bas file, and select "make exe"
there is not yet android version
bye

mr_lou

Quote from: barbarian.1987 on 11:17, 25 August 12
with the source (the *.bas file in "source" directory) everybody can compile easily the apple or linux version.

Depends how you define "easy". I did have to replace all paths in the source. It would not run without doing this.  ;)
But any SDK has its bugs like this. Some more than others.

barbarian.1987

sorry for the problems in linux version.
i haven't linux. i don't know how it works on this system.
with windows, it's very easy. i hope it's the same think with Apple version
bye
F.L

barbarian.1987

UP
i hope you will enjoy with this new remake
see ya
F.L

Gryzor

Oh, I need to get home pronto to try this out. For some reason (never really understood why) I liked this game... thanks, mate!

barbarian.1987

thanks
this winter, i will be back with a new "big" remake  ;)
bye

Gryzor

Oh, come on, give us something more :D

Will it be ready for Xmas?

barbarian.1987

no, i don't think.....
it's a big game, i don't know yet if i am able to finish it : if you want to see the Work In Progress :
OUTRUN CPC
bye
F.L

ukmarkh

Quote from: barbarian.1987 on 22:07, 16 September 12
no, i don't think.....
it's a big game, i don't know yet if i am able to finish it : if you want to see the Work In Progress :
OUTRUN CPC
bye
F.L

If you pull this off... I'll make an ice sculpture of you, and send it by post  :-*

Amazed nobody has yet taken up the challenge to improve the CPC version... they'd be the ultimate hero of the CPC community  ;) 

sigh

Quote from: barbarian.1987 on 22:07, 16 September 12
no, i don't think.....
OUTRUN CPC
bye
F.L

If there was ever a game that needed a serious remake - this is the one! Graphically it always had looked very nice, but if you can get the frame rate running to Nigel Mansell/Supercycle speeds.....it would be the best 8 bit version ever!

I seriously support this remake like no other, so please take your time to make it badass!

ivarf

Its for PC. The remake is already miles better than the CPC original

Gryzor

Yes, guys, stop drooling, it's a PC transfer :)

Still, nice choice, I'll be grabbing this for sure! Pity the file is on dropbox - it's not accessible from the office...

Do you think you could include some picture effects, like scanlines or blur, like WinAPE does?

barbarian.1987

thanks all
the remake will be in 320x200 and 16 colors. i don't think i will add scanlines or blur. but the game will be in "open source", so if someone want to help me to convert it for running on a CPC, it would be fine.
bye
F.L

arnoldemu

Quote from: ukmarkh on 23:22, 16 September 12

If you pull this off... I'll make an ice sculpture of you, and send it by post  :-*

Amazed nobody has yet taken up the challenge to improve the CPC version... they'd be the ultimate hero of the CPC community  ;)
improve=rewrite ;)

unless a magic optimisation can be found ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:19, 22 September 12
improve=rewrite ;)

unless a magic optimisation can be found ;)

No such instruction for the Z80? Damn...

AMSDOS

I was just wondering, given this is a nice example of a CPC game written in a PC language, how some of the other PC languages which can convert stuff back to CPC would go? Wasn't thinking necessarily BASIC and was more specifically leaning towards the "C" based languages which can recreate games? Wasn't sure if anyone had some insight.  :'(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

MacDeath

From what I mostly understood, you use C but try to do it with the CPC specification in mind (not too much CPU calculus if possible, simplified processes)... and the delicate parts have to be patched in Assembly.

Also, compaired to modern C for modern PC, you may have to still manage your RAM and memory yourself.

Perhaps COBOL ?  ;D

AMSDOS

Quote from: MacDeath on 09:16, 22 October 12
From what I mostly understood, you use C but try to do it with the CPC specification in mind (not too much CPU calculus if possible, simplified processes)... and the delicate parts have to be patched in Assembly.

Yes those would be the hurdles which someone would have to deal with while getting down to the Specifics of the machine. Some of my examples demonstrate this, even in a compiled state the High-Level Source code which has been compiled wouldn't complete with a specific Assembly routine.

A Plus I guess would have an advantage over an Ordinary CPC with its Hardware Sprites I guess and there would be several aspects which would change from a PC to CPC - Sound, Input/Output, I wasn't sure how well a C Compiler generated it's code these days into something which is assembly based. It was over a decade ago when I last saw C being translated into Assembly which wasn't 100% fool proof and there were still room for improvement in terms of optimising the ASM code.  ;D

QuoteAlso, compaired to modern C for modern PC, you may have to still manage your RAM and memory yourself.

I was never one for following Memory Management cause I see it as one large Array.  :D

QuotePerhaps COBOL ?  ;D

Would work well for the Treasurers Report.  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

MacDeath

QuoteI was never one for following Memory Management cause I see it as one large Array.
still... CPC has to deal with it's "VRAM" taken from "normal" RAM and Z80's limitation to 64K only at a time, hence Bankswitchings.

QuoteA Plus I guess would have an advantage over an Ordinary CPC with its Hardware Sprites I guess
Don't expect too much from the PLUS' sprites : they are not as easy and maleable as on other system such as Consoles, C64 or MSX... still a usefull add-on.

barbarian.1987

hello
i have updated the zip : now the hiscore are saved in a little .txt file
my hiscore is 206940  :D
bye
F.L