News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6-Pak Vol 3 - really a 5-pak?

Started by Spirantho, 13:35, 19 August 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirantho

Hi people,
Going through some more CPC disks today... I found the Beau Jolly compilation "6-Pak Vol. 3". I tested the games, but found there was no Escape from Singe's Castle.
Drat, thinks I. Missing a disk.
Then I look closely at the instructions - "Escape from Singe's Castle is not available on Amstrad Disk" it says in tiny letters until the game title.
What happened here? Did they release a compilation with apparently 6 games on it but which actually only has 5? Shouldn't it say somewhere that EfSC isn't on this version? I can't find anything at all apart from the instructions in small print.
Anyone else seen this?
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

steve

Buried in a box somewhere, I have a beau jolly computer hits 10 compilation disk which appears to be blank.

tastefulmrship

<deleted some bullcrap about pretending knowing stuff about olde CPC games I never played>

= ELITE SYSTEMS 6-PAK VOLUME 3 =
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=3635

Spirantho

Crazy... so some versions have 6 games, others have 5 (mine is the UK edition, I think)..... and yet the box still says 6 games on!
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

MacDeath

they were prone to scroodge us gamers in those days. Crookery was (and is still) part of the video game industry.

Gryzor

Hey, we could try contacting that Beau Jolly guy who threatened to sue us a while back and ask them :D

Puresox

Really? Tried to sue with regard to what?If you don't mind me asking?

Gryzor

Sorry for the delay, had missed the thread.

Hm, can't find it now -maybe it was the Zone? But I'm pretty sure it was here...

Anyhow, IIRC there was a company going by the same name and threatened us with legal action unless we took down the content and any references to the name.

Actually you can see the history of the page here: Beau Jolly - CPCWiki , though I don't remember enough to make much sense out of it except that for some time the page had the name printed over several times just to get into the guy's nose :D

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:07, 27 October 13
Hm, can't find it now -maybe it was the Zone? But I'm pretty sure it was here...

Anyhow, IIRC there was a company going by the same name and threatened us with legal action unless we took down the content and any references to the name.
The discussion was on the CPC Zone forums, and it was so funny at the time!

From what I remember, some American guy was selling educational games with a religious theme under the name of Computer Classics, and was trying to get CPC Zone to remove all mention of Beau Jolly's compilation, Computer Classics because he believed it infringed his trademark. He was also trying to get in touch with Beau Jolly about the same issue. He made repeated demands on the forum, but he just could not comprehend that:

1) Beau Jolly's compilation was released back in 1987 - some years before his own trademark was registered,
2) Beau Jolly stopped selling their compilation a long time ago,
3) CPC Zone was just listing historical information about CPC games.

It's a shame that the discussion wasn't archived, because the American guy gave all of us CPC Zone readers some great entertainment! In the end, Malc Jennings (the CPC Zone webmaster - you remember him, don't you? ;)) reckoned that he was doing this to try to create publicity for his own Computer Classics software - although if that was true, it was a very strange way to do it.

Gryzor

Ohh yes you're right. That was the stuff :D Can I use your description of the events on the BJ wiki page (or, better yet, can you do it yourself so you get the credit)?

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:13, 27 October 13
Ohh yes you're right. That was the stuff :D Can I use your description of the events on the BJ wiki page (or, better yet, can you do it yourself so you get the credit)?
Yes. If you want to modify the Beau Jolly page, then go ahead! I don't know when I'll get an opportunity to modify it myself.

Gryzor

Done. Thanks! :)

Now it occurred to me that the guy had actually posted in the forum, and we had trolled him quite a bit...