News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

IK+ won't load on my 6128 via HXC

Started by chinnyhill10, 22:27, 05 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Anyone had problems with the dsk image of IK+ on CPC Power? My 6128 freezes at track 15 when loading via my HXC. Just sits there with a blank screen. HXC issue, DSK issue or a 6128 problem?
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

kevin.c

What drive is your HxC, A or B? If "B" probably that is the problem, most of the games works with drive A only.

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:27, 05 April 15
Anyone had problems with the dsk image of IK+ on CPC Power? My 6128 freezes at track 15 when loading via my HXC. Just sits there with a blank screen. HXC issue, DSK issue or a 6128 problem?
Same here.

The DSK is good however because I wrote it with CPCDiskXP and that works fine on a 3.5 inch drive.

Damn copy protection, Track 15 has 16 sectors of different lengths, cpcdiskxp reports 3 of these 5,7 and 9 have no data.

I tried to copy this image with Xexor from the 3.5inch disk to the HxC but this also failed on track 15.

I guess a fixed convertor is needed... Jeff??

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

chinnyhill10

Thanks for the confirmation. I was worried my conversion to the HXC format was corrupting or there might be another issue. Looks like the copy protection is defeating it as you indicate.

Got around the problem with my 464 and tape adaptor. Loaded in a tape image instead.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Morri

Try this version and see if it works. This is from cngsofts website where he has done a lot of cracks, pokes, compacting and bugfixing of disc / tape games.
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/cpc_lzx.htm
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:48, 05 April 15

I guess a fixed convertor is needed... Jeff??

Craig

Where i can get this failling dsk ?

CraigsBar

dlfrsilver

CraigsBar

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 20:19, 13 April 15
this one must be redumped.
The dump is good when written to floppy with CPCdiskXP. so the it's not the dump. I fear to say it's the HxC HFE format that cannot handle dodgy formatting with illegal and blank sectors in track 15.

A CPC from a Floppy disc just does it and works so the dump itself is good.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:12, 13 April 15
The dump is good when written to floppy with CPCdiskXP. so the it's not the dump. I fear to say it's the HxC HFE format that cannot handle dodgy formatting with illegal and blank sectors in track 15.

A CPC from a Floppy disc just does it and works so the dump itself is good.

It's not the HFE, but the way the DSK format describe this track. Each sectors of the protected track are nested all together, but the dsk format doesn't have this information so all sector are put one after the other which make a very very long track (there is 8KB, 16KB sectors). Have a look to the HxC track viewer to understand the problem.

And i bet that CPCdiskXP is unable to write such tracks correctly. When i got time i will try it and redump the disk with a KF to see what is really on the disk. I suspect a delayed protection here  ;) .

So yes i agree : This one must be redumped and stored in another format (a stream oriented format for example)

CraigsBar

Cpcdiskxp does a good enough job for a playable disc to be created. I did it last week to test if it was the dsk of the HFE or what. I don't have hardware to dump that disk back to an HFE.... My Mac has no floppy drive and my windows xp bos does not play nice with the HxC software. I suppose I could re build the windows box. But that is a bit of a pain.

Jeff_HxC2001

I just tried to see how to Cpcdiskxp load this image. Here is the result :

[attachimg=1]

So Cpcdiskxpload load it exactly as the HxC software, and i am sorry to say that the track 15 can't fit a true disk track ! This is just impossible.
To fit all these sectors, the track must be 2 seconds long !!! a normal track duration is 0.2 second.
In fact the HFE have all the sector, but the track reading is so long that there is an index timeout or something like this.
The Cpcdiskxp floppy version will have the 0.2ms timing, but the protection check will fail cause all sectors can't fit the track 15. I will check this now :)

Jeff_HxC2001

Well, i didn't even need the Kryoflux to confirm the problem :

[attachimg=1]

So for sure Cpcdiskxp doesn't and can't write this track correctly !

I don't blame this software since the dsk format doesn't have the necessary information to do this correctly...

Jeff_HxC2001

And attached a tweaked "original" IK+ plus HFE image working on CPC.

It the track 15 in this image is equal to what Cpcdiskxp produce, but this doesn't mean that this is good.
;)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 07:02, 14 April 15
Well, i didn't even need the Kryoflux to confirm the problem :

[attachimg=1]

So for sure Cpcdiskxp doesn't and can't write this track correctly !

I don't blame this software since the dsk format doesn't have the necessary information to do this correctly...
yes it errors, bit the resulting disc loads perfectly on a CPC.  The HxC version doesn't

;)

Craig.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:12, 14 April 15
yes it errors, bit the resulting disc loads perfectly on a CPC.  The HxC version doesn't

;)

Craig.

It does. Just try the HFE file attached in my previous post :

CraigsBar

Quote from: Jeff_HxC2001 on 11:29, 14 April 15
It does. Just try the HFE file attached in my previous post :

it does *now*. Thanks Jeff I knew you would be able to fix it.