News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A Tribute to the Sister WIP-Demo

Started by Tolkin, 12:55, 01 June 09

Previous topic - Next topic

redbox

Quote from: Xyphoe on 00:13, 06 January 11
What do you mean by "real live"?

"Real life" I expect - that annoying thing that gets in the way of developing CPC stuff  ;)

TFM

Quote from: Xyphoe on 00:13, 06 January 11
Good to hear! As long as it's not abandoned, there's lots of great CPC projects at the moment so we can be patient :)

What do you mean by "real live"?

Oh and hows the jump physics/gravity coming along? That's the only thing in the vids I saw that I would make a constructive criticism about not feeling right  :)

No, it's not abandoned. I'm just the slowest developper god (or something lesser) ever has made. Bad genes or so ;-))

Well, real live... washing clothes, try to insulate an 100 years old house, sleep, reading SF (ok 3 min a week), shopping food, fixing flat tires... and.... yes, I have to to a job to get my money fore... what a primitive world we're living in ... this monetary system suxxxx! So all my work is free like the "free flow of informations" suggests. So time for the CPC is rare an prescious.

Critics is always welcome, and will not be forgotten... but things still need time... However I plan to concentrate now very much on Giana (after finishing the FlashROM manager and the OP translation).

Sorry for all the years of waiting - just for a game.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 09:50, 06 January 11
"Real life" I expect - that annoying thing that gets in the way of developing CPC stuff  ;)

Well, nobody can explain it in a better way  :blank:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:33, 06 January 11

Well, nobody can explain it in a better way  :blank:

Aha! Yes, sorry, I totally understand.

I wish I had more time to get back into programming for the CPC myself, I just never see it happening - such a mountain to climb to get anywhere near the standard of 90% of you on here! I've had to go back and start doing Perl again for my job, so there's a few months gone out of this year already! Always something else comes along.

Good luck with the project :)

TFM

Quote from: Xyphoe on 01:56, 14 January 11
Aha! Yes, sorry, I totally understand.

I wish I had more time to get back into programming for the CPC myself, I just never see it happening - such a mountain to climb to get anywhere near the standard of 90% of you on here! I've had to go back and start doing Perl again for my job, so there's a few months gone out of this year already! Always something else comes along.

Good luck with the project :)

Thank's a lot! I can need that luck. Well, at the moment the problem is that the game shall fit and run in 128 KB (but it load a lot of stuff between the levels from disc). Now from the main RAM I use 32 KB for screen RAM, 16 KB for gfx (which must be there) and I only got 12 KB for the program. In additon parts of the program are moved to the second 64 KB, whenever doable.

Now I got &00A0 bytes free in the main RAM, therefore I have to move more routines into the expanson RAM. I don't need that much more main RAM, but a bit... So after doing this I can and will finish the game. It must work 2011 elso I jump from the Encom tower (... oh, do you by accident know where it is? Oh, please watch that movie, if not in cinema, then from a torrent...).
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Hi friends of little blonde Girls named Giana...

Now I finished the Orion Prime Translation (ok, the handbook has still to be done... but Targhan will have a lot of work now to integrate all the German texts into OP, so there is time...). And so I have time again for my own projects.

During the last weekend I had a couple of hours time for getting back to our Giana Sisters Clone, and yesterday I created the next smaller update (just some debugging), and at the file date I saw, that the previous version is exactly four months older ;-) Funny thing. Now the developpment of "A Tribute to the Sisters..." will be speeded up and the Game will be released in 2011 - in which condition ever ;-)
There are some "things" which I can't influence as coder and so I just hope that my team colleague Tolkin will find some time in this year too. However, the job in real life is just more important than a sparetime project - for most of us.
TFM of FutureSoft

Xyphoe

Cool, look forward to it ...  :) ... oh and when you've sorted out the jump mechanic/gravity, if you want - send me the .dsk and I can do a preview vid like I did for Fano & TotO  8)

Gryzor

TFM

Quote from: Xyphoe on 08:49, 19 January 11
Cool, look forward to it ...  :) ... oh and when you've sorted out the jump mechanic/gravity, if you want - send me the .dsk and I can do a preview vid like I did for Fano & TotO  8)

Alright, you will be beta tester  ;D

Guess, you do the CPC Videos really professional! If I try to do so, then it's always... well, it hurts my stomic  ;)  I'll keep you updated  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Xyphoe

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:18, 19 January 11

Alright, you will be beta tester  ;D

Guess, you do the CPC Videos really professional! If I try to do so, then it's always... well, it hurts my stomic  ;)  I'll keep you updated  :)

Thank you sir, that's very kind of you!

Actually I'm happy to do any kind of beta testing aside from videos for any game project (who wouldn't? LOL  :laugh: )

TFM

Quote from: Xyphoe on 02:42, 20 January 11
Thank you sir, that's very kind of you!

My honor and especially my pleasure Sir!
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Xifos on 22:14, 25 June 09
Juste a little wish : i would like to see this demo with the main character really jumping instead of going up when you press up.
The reason i ask this is that i think that would give a great improvement in the gameplay feeling.
Take a look at it now, hope you like it  :) 

Giana 3rd glimpse
TFM of FutureSoft

Xyphoe

Awesome! That looks much much better! Well done!

Now, can you finish this game?  :D :P

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM/FS on 00:38, 05 October 12

Giana 3rd glimpse
nice scrolling, nice overscan. nice graphics and presentation.
is it done yet? ;D

EDIT: Ok, talking seriously, I am sure there is a lot that needs to be done still?

How many levels have been designed?
is the frontend done so you can choose keyboard, joystick etc?

I think your other games will be ready before this?

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

rexbeng

Hm, can't say I adore the color choises on the background graphics. I think that this kind of game should have a more "funky" selection of colors. But anyway, that is a matter of personal taste.  8)

So, my only true complain is on the clouds. Something's wrong with their shapping and their coloring.

Other than that, the scrolling looks impressive; I suppose that the few jerks I see here and there are faults of the video-capture and not of the engine itselt! Does the game only run under FutureOS?

rb

Gryzor

I think it looks like a great title from the era. The gfx style is very retro, but I'm ok with it. I see what you mean about the clouds - the dithering is strange, too. Only thing I don't like (I think I've said this before) is the heroine's sprite, I think it could be quite better...

Xifos

Quote from: TFM/FS on 00:38, 05 October 12

That's exactly what i was talking about !
:)

TFM

Thanks a lot for all your motivating comments :)

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:55, 05 October 12
... I am sure there is a lot that needs to be done still?
Not that much actually, some gfx overwork, implement the firy-wheel and the ball, add spider and dragon. What bugs me at the moment is a single bug, which crashes the engine once a while. Hard to find, but I'm getting close.

How many levels have been designed?
At the moment the WIP has 10 levels, shall be 20 at the end IIRC.
And I had the idea to let people do some levels by themselves, so we could make a kind of Giana 1.5

is the frontend done so you can choose keyboard, joystick etc?
You can use Joystick 1 or 2, or Cursor-keys with Copy. No need to choose it, the engine scans what you are using.

I think your other games will be ready before this?
Definitely!

Quote from: rexbeng on 14:25, 05 October 12
So, my only true complain is on the clouds. Something's wrong with their shapping and their coloring.
Right, blue and white are mixed. When the GFX was made, a monitor was used that showed this two colors exchanged. Later on the CPC monitor we saw... ups! This will be fixed. But Tolkin has very few time at the moment, I'm bugging him since 2 years to paint that firy-wheel for me...

Other than that, the scrolling looks impressive; I suppose that the few jerks I see here and there are faults of the video-capture and not of the engine itself!
On a real CPC the game has only jerks in very few situation, f.e. when player-sprite and fast moving enemy are both on the upper side the the screen. But yes, here the recording did introduce the jerks.

Does the game only run under FutureOS?
At the moment yes. But if I leave some feature away (like memory-management) then it may can run under AMS-OS too. I have to see if it is doable. The only difference you shall see is maybe a longer time to load levels etc.
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

All apologies, in the hurries I may have overseen this one...

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:48, 05 October 12
I think it looks like a great title from the era. The gfx style is very retro, but I'm ok with it.

Thanks' It's supposed to look like a game of this era. Good old mid-80ies style  :)

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:48, 05 October 12
... Only thing I don't like (I think I've said this before) is the heroine's sprite, I think it could be quite better...

She is supposed to look like in the original game series. You could do an update of the GFX (Well Tolkin likes it old-style. I'm not the painter, so I wouldn't mind to introduce some 3D-like pixel), but then it would loose part of it's 80ies spirit.

Any change of it would always disapoint some people, and others would appreciate it. So I thought about providing the possibility for all of you guys to provide your own GFX!!! What do you think? You could completely personalize it! Somebody interrested?
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Great idea!!!
[attachimg=1]

Or maybe...
[attachimg=2]

McKlain

TFM

Just get me the GFX (on CPC), I'll do the rest of it  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

Ast

Will you make a Cpc version without the use of the Great FutureOs ? Why is your giana games only run on FutureOs ?

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

TFM

Hi! Well, it uses a lot of the FutureOS functionality which can't be found in other OS. Examples are how it loads data chunks from disc and manages them in RAM, connected to that memory management of course. The game itself needs "only" 128 KB of RAM, which is already used up.
A version for Amsdos would need another 15-20 KB of RAM for everything used from the FutureOS ROMs.

What I an imagine though, that is a version for cartridge. The way FutureOS uses Expansion RAM is kind of similar to ROM banking in the Cartridge, so an adaption should be doable without too much effort. Also the Plus features will be used. But that's an idea for the future, first I have to finish the version for CPC old generation.
TFM of FutureSoft