News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A Tribute to the Sister WIP-Demo

Started by Tolkin, 12:55, 01 June 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Great job, Carnivac... I hope it gets used because indeed, the fact that the original sprite is 24x16 doesn't mean much, as the result show.

Oh, btw, the Amiga version sucks! :D

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:43, 18 June 09
Great job, Carnivac... I hope it gets used because indeed, the fact that the original sprite is 24x16 doesn't mean much, as the result show.

Oh, btw, the Amiga version sucks! :D

Tolkin and me appreciate any help. Your impressive ideas will for sure be used.

Bye the way, if the used sprite is 24x16 is just means that the hight is about 1.5 fold the width.

Have a wonderful Sunday,
TFM / FS

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Tolkin

Hy, my intention was to do the sprites 16x24 pixel. But if someone wants to do better, come on, TFM will be very happy, maybe someone have more time for this, just get in contact with TFM. I have a full scedule, so... I know that most of the other CPC Guys can produce better GFX, but who cares, its my Freetime-Fun...
@Carnivac: If you want...

TFM

Quote from: Tolkin on 16:44, 22 June 09
Hy, my intention was to do the sprites 16x24 pixel. But if someone wants to do better, come on, TFM will be very happy, maybe someone have more time for this, just get in contact with TFM. I have a full scedule, so... I know that most of the other CPC Guys can produce better GFX, but who cares, its my Freetime-Fun...
@Carnivac: If you want...

Well, my schedule is also stuffed. We all have a job, and the CPC is (for most of us) not our money-bringing-job. However, what I really miss here is any kind of positive critic.

Sure it's good to give comments and critics, but I miss here a kind of balanced commets/critics. No need to cling on negative critics.

Ever heart about Sandwich-critics ;-)))

Ain't much people doing software for the CPC today, some positive comments would motivate us instead of frustrating us. But ok, maybe there is just nothing good about our game to say. As Tolkin sayd it before: Our game is -for us- just a kind of sparetime fun. We don't want to make money with it and we don't want to become game-coders on PS4 or whatever ;-)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xifos

Hello,

Your game is really impressive. Is it a one pixel hard scrolling  ?
The graphics are good. I don't think that the size of Giana's sprite would be a problem in the finished game.
Juste a little wish : i would like to see this demo with the main character really jumping instead of going up when you press up.
The reason i ask this is that i think that would give a great improvement in the gameplay feeling.
(sorry for my broken english here, well i am french, sorry)
(and sorry for asking, i know this is much work)
:)

EDIT : i tried again and i'll change my question about how Giana jumps : i think it's a problem of y movement because of mode 0 ratio between x and y.

Carnivius

It wasn't a negative critique as such.  It was pointing out the size aspect ratio of the sprite was wrong and didn't just appear that way to me but most people I imagine.  Certainly according to a friend of mine who actually loved this game on his C64 and is getting the DS version.  Was just some helpful advice to make the game look and feel closer to the original.

I hate having to explain the wide pixel problem to people. 
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

TFM

Quote from: Carnivac on 16:53, 26 June 09
It wasn't a negative critique as such.  It was pointing out the size aspect ratio of the sprite was wrong and didn't just appear that way to me but most people I imagine.  Certainly according to a friend of mine who actually loved this game on his C64 and is getting the DS version.  Was just some helpful advice to make the game look and feel closer to the original.

I hate having to explain the wide pixel problem to people.

Sure, right. No question at all. And you gave a lot of informations. The only thing I dislike is that sometimes only the "not perfect" things are picked out. I was just missing some positive comments. Nobody wrote something about the scrolling or overscan f.e. I don't know another game on CPC that is able to do so. Would be good to hear some positive things too. However no need to discuss this things. It's alright now :) ((No, I'm not fishing for compliments...;-))

You did a good picture(s) of a Giana-Sprite and you provide valuably informations. Think that we can use some of the "new pixels". But don't know if it makes sense to paint Giana more skinny. Well, no need to hurry, I still have to implement the enemys in that game, this take it's time. So it's enough time to think about this.

Let there be no misunderstandings :-)))

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Xifos on 22:14, 25 June 09
Your game is really impressive. Is it a one pixel hard scrolling  ?
The graphics are good. I don't think that the size of Giana's sprite would be a problem in the finished game.
Juste a little wish : i would like to see this demo with the main character really jumping instead of going up when you press up.
The reason i ask this is that i think that would give a great improvement in the gameplay feeling.
(sorry for my broken english here, well i am french, sorry)
(and sorry for asking, i know this is much work)
:)

EDIT : i tried again and i'll change my question about how Giana jumps : i think it's a problem of y movement because of mode 0 ratio between x and y.

Thanks a lot for your post! This runs down like oil and you can't believe how much positive comments motivate us :-)))

Buy the way, it's a Mode 2 character-wide scrolling, that's all the CRTC can to, due to this the scrolling must be relatively quick. The version for CPC Plus will have pixel-scrolling.

Well, since this is not a final version, there is still a lot of work to do. You are right, the gameplay needs a kind of a "real jump". At the moment we just can't decide if we make a sinus-like jump or a physically correct jump. Tolkin prefers the sinus-jump and I prefer the physically-correct-jump. So we didn't introduce this up to now.

However, a real good jump (and some other gameplay-improvements) will be provided in the final version.

Thanks for your comments!
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:14, 26 June 09

The only thing I dislike is that sometimes only the "not perfect" things are picked out. I was just missing some positive comments. Nobody wrote something about the scrolling or overscan f.e. I don't know another game on CPC that is able to do so. Would be good to hear some positive things too. However no need to discuss this things. It's alright now :) ((No, I'm not fishing for compliments...;-))

You *are* right about this. But don't get it wrong, the sprite issue was a very minor one, especially for a WIP, so don't worry!

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:52, 27 June 09
You *are* right about this. But don't get it wrong, the sprite issue was a very minor one, especially for a WIP, so don't worry!

Thanks! Well, I got the idea of a kind of Sprite-Editor, so everybody can use his/hers own sprites. However, first the game has to be completed. Then some gimmicks can be added :-) We already have such a sprite editor for the IDE, should not be that hard to make it a bit more "generally useabel".

Bye,
TFM/FS
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

You mean make it so that the user can use their own sprites in the game? Load sprite sets etc?

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:23, 01 July 09
You mean make it so that the user can use their own sprites in the game? Load sprite sets etc?

After the final release the IDE can be released in english language, so it's easy to change Sprites and background gfx
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

To explain this in more detail, the development kit contains:

- A tool to grab sprites from an (OCP compressed) screen.
  It also creates sprite sets and moves. A move is a collection of sprite moves and tells which frames of a sprite will be displayed

- A matrix generator, it creates game matrixes, containing the definition of background graphics, changing (moving) backgroud graphic parts (like Stars in Giana). It also allows to add features to every point of a matrix in 2D or 3D backgrounds (Giana is 2D, Gerelakos is 3D).

Bye the way, a sprite can contain one of the 16 Mode 0 colors or the pixel is invisible. It uses a mask, if a dot is set or not.

Some other tools are there too. but I'll collect them into the IDE.

This way its relatively easy to create a Giana-like or Mario-like game.

Have a good Sunday,
TFM
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 17:57, 08 June 09
Working on keyboard recording function in JavaCPC...

You can automatically run Giana Sisters preview here:
Link

Well... Maybe I tested it today on the wrong PC or something is wrong now? I know it was running before, but the Site stalls when reading the DIRectory of the disc. Markus can you take a look if it is still running?

Thanks,
TFM/FS
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

Quote from: TFM/FS on 19:22, 10 August 09

Well... Maybe I tested it today on the wrong PC or something is wrong now? I know it was running before, but the Site stalls when reading the DIRectory of the disc. Markus can you take a look if it is still running?

Thanks,
TFM/FS

Yeah... I found the bug.
While I was coding on FDC routines to fix some games, I found that the DEBUG booleans were set to true, so an Error returned on SENSE command.

As I uploaded the last applet, I forgot to set the booleans back to false.

fixed now:
Click here

Older pc-systems click here
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Devilmarkus

BTW.: As you are developing Giana Sisters, I want to know your opinion.
I re-coded parts of JavaCPC's sound emulation and want to know how "real" feels the emulator output for the Giana-Sisters tune.

Please unzip the attached file and listen to it. (44khz, stereo, 8 bit, direct emulator output)

Cheers,
Markus
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 21:22, 10 August 09I re-coded parts of JavaCPC's sound emulation and want to know how "real" feels the emulator output for the Giana-Sisters tune.

WoW!!! That's like on my REAL CPC!!! In effect it's far the best sound emulation I've ever heart from an CPC Emulator.

Great Work!!!
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

I took a closer look at the SDK (software developpment kit) that we use for Giana and Gerelakos. There will be definitely a release of this SDK to make it usable for every body. However since some tools like GSEd (Graphical Map Editor) are coevolving with our games it makes no sense to release them now. About GSEd there was an article in the CPCWiki, later deleted by Kangaroo (Thanks mate!). Maybe somebody will reactivate it after the release, then you can find detailed informations there.
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

I took a look at the deletion log. I think Kangaroo's reason for deleting is is somewhat valid - if the program is not released, what's the point in having an article for it? Or has something changed? Or I misunderstood something?

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 05:34, 13 September 09
I took a look at the deletion log. I think Kangaroo's reason for deleting is is somewhat valid - if the program is not released, what's the point in having an article for it? Or has something changed? Or I misunderstood something?

Yes you are right! I learnt this and I learn every day. It was right, but at the same time there is Kangas article of "Mal Mit Mir". This software was never finished, never released. So he blames me for errors that he does more seriously by himself. In my oppinion this is not fair! That's the jumping point for me.

GSEd is finished and working, but unreleased. While "Mal Mit Mir" was never finished and will never be released.

The only thing I want in the CPC Wiki : EQUAL rights for everybody!

Sorry for my long answer... have a good day!

TFM/FutureSoft
TFM of FutureSoft

Octoate

I guess it should be ok to add programs which weren't released (yet) for the CPC. Do you remember the project which tried to find games which were announced, but not released. I think they should be added, too - (if possible with screenshots and announcement scans). We can also add a category "unreleased", so these programs can be found easily in the Wiki.

P.S.: The new Retroaction Magazine Issue 3 is out and contains a small text about "A tribute to the Sisters" (http://www.retroactionmagazine.com/magazine) :).
--

Ygdrazil

Hi Octoate

I agree, there should be a category for unreleased software. But I also think there should be a minimum requirement for making articles for unreleased productions. Screenshots, working links to websites. Simply making an article about some software with wild speculative features does nothing to add credibility to the CPC-WIKI.

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Octoate on 20:25, 14 September 09
I guess it should be ok to add programs which weren't released (yet) for the CPC. Do you remember the project which tried to find games which were announced, but not released. I think they should be added, too - (if possible with screenshots and announcement scans). We can also add a category "unreleased", so these programs can be found easily in the Wiki.

P.S.: The new Retroaction Magazine Issue 3 is out and contains a small text about "A tribute to the Sisters" (http://www.retroactionmagazine.com/magazine) :).

TFM

The point is that EVERYBODY should be treated EQUALLY!
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Heeeey :) This is not a thread about those issues, though I feel you are right in that respect. I'll reinstate the article, but why won't you release it?

Gryzor

Quote from: Ygdrazil
Hi Octoate

I agree, there should be a category for unreleased software. But I also think there should be a minimum requirement for making articles for unreleased productions. Screenshots, working links to websites. Simply making an article about some software with wild speculative features does nothing to add credibility to the CPC-WIKI.

/Ygdrazil

You're right in every respect.

I don't know, maybe it's just that I woke up the wrong side of the bed today, but it seems to me that even articles for unreleased software have their usefulness. For instance, they might provide inspiration for other authors to do something similar, or even ask to take over the project...

Btw, I restored GSed, please add more info!!!