News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Action Force - Speed adjust?

Started by Carnivius, 14:38, 25 December 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnivius

Selling my CPC tapes since I prefer digital these days and I had to do the rather tedious task of testing them all (which only served to remind me how much I WON'T miss the tapes themselves. Hours and hours of loading up games), anyways I came across Action Force which I haven't played in years and it scrolls fast. Too fast. Does anyone know how to figure out how to slow it down a bit? Can it be made to scroll in smaller increments of pixels please?  I loaded up the game on an emulator and halfed the speed artificially but of course that slowed down everything but it was still more playable and I was able to make a bit more progress in the level and enjoy the game more.  So yeah, can one of you brainy programmery folk figure out and adjust whatever code handles the scrolling and slow it down?  And if not smaller increments than I'd take a slower helicopter horizontal speed even if it results in the scrolling being a bit jerkier (as it was in the emulation test)

I know it still won't make it a great game but certainly a bit better than it was.

And yeah I know people want most Amstrad games to be faster and I'm here asking to slow one down a bit. :D  Also won't help the tape version much that I have but I looking to get one of them modern sd card type doohickey thingies like a lot of you folk so a dsk file would be fine. :P

Also Merry Christmas and all that stuff. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

abalore

Surely you can do the scroll slower by scrolling 1 frame out of each 2, for instance. That would make the scroll slower but will not be smooth.

I would not consider doing the scroll with smaller increments of pixels, because that's not an easy task in the CPC. I.E. if the game is done for 1 character horizontal scrolling you can hardly hack it for half character without running into big issues.

Carnivius

Yeah, I figured it would be more likely able to just slow the scroller, less smooth but would still be more playable than how it is now which is simply too fast.  Well, if anyone out there is capable of such tricks that would be appreciated. Cheers. :)

I'm just glad to be done with all the tapes (sad that a couple of faves no longer work, such as UN Squadron) and I put the whole lot on eBay in a Buy It Now yesterday and they sold quick and I sent them off to the post office this morning.  :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife