News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Adapting loading screens that sucked.

Started by Brundij, 17:14, 29 October 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundij

Here's another version with an interruption in the loading screens. Because if you load it from a M4 screens can barely be seen.

Brundij

And yet another one. An ink of the mode 0 screen in the previous DSK was wrong. So the two previous messages can be safely deleted if a moderator sees it fit.

Brundij

Not long ago I discovered that a spanish release of Zombi from UBI was edited with a different cover ilustration by Alfonso Azpiri. So I made this loading screen. But the game loads an intro along the original loading screen, and we (Trocoloco) didn't manage to utilize any of the unprotected disk versions to create a new DSK or CDT so I just leave it here so if anyone that has the patience and knowledge to do it can do it.

Happy New Year!

Brundij

CDT Version of Exolon, with alternative loading screen and trainer:

rexbeng

Decent job, but I believe the Exolon loading pic is in the category of pictures that converting and re-colouring is just not enough to make look as good as could be on the CPC. A good amount of re-pixelling is necessary.

Brundij

Quote from: rexbeng on 11:27, 13 January 23Decent job, but I believe the Exolon loading pic is in the category of pictures that converting and re-colouring is just not enough to make look as good as could be on the CPC. A good amount of re-pixelling is necessary.
Well yeah, but I'm not going to do a new one from scratch. Got many more to convert/recolour. We talked already about the hero's proportions and still it's better/less lazy than the original one with the planets. :P

BTW, I saw that overscan pic you made with only rgb and black patterns: "The fish is in the eye of the diver" one. Is there any table I could use as guidance to recreate colours that way? I can always make one using your pic as reference but if it's already done I'm saving time.

rexbeng

Oh I had forgotten about that mode 1 experiment. Thanks for reminding me. I had to do some digging but here is the patterns table.

Also I found a set of further colouring experiments I had done using this pic and those patterns, so I'm uploading them to this folder for reference. Hope they are useful. As you may guess there's actually plenty more variations you can do with the CPC palette.

Edit: Hm. I see that I cannot embed a pic I have uploaded to google drive and I have no time to upload them elsewhere as I have to go pick the kid up from school. Oh well, the patterns table is in the folder linked above. :)

Brundij

Quote from: rexbeng on 14:46, 13 January 23Oh I had forgotten about that mode 1 experiment. Thanks for reminding me. I had to do some digging but here is the patterns table.

Also I found a set of further colouring experiments I had done using this pic and those patterns, so I'm uploading them to this folder for reference. Hope they are useful. As you may guess there's actually plenty more variations you can do with the CPC palette.

Edit: Hm. I see that I cannot embed a pic I have uploaded to google drive and I have no time to upload them elsewhere as I have to go pick the kid up from school. Oh well, the patterns table is in the folder linked above. :)

Thanks a lot! I'm going to tinker with it and see if anything comes out!

Anthony Flack

These loading screens look great. Nice diverse range of styles. Rexbeng's picture is excellent work as always, cool to see how far you can push the limited palette. And Tot0's Shinobi title screen with the vertical colour splits looks terrific as well. 

The authenticity issue is an interesting one. A lot of the original artists did do a sub-par job, and I can't speak for them individually but I know a lot of artists who would like nothing more than to destroy or hide any embarrassing work they did in the past. I understand there is a historical preservation angle to consider for the five people in 2100 who might still care. So it's necessary to preserve clean sets. But that's not Brundij or anybody else's obligation. Any historians out there should have clean sets by now. 

For general use, hacked versions tend to be better and so those are the ones in general circulation. All my c64 set seems to have been hacked by Jack Alien, removing protection, adding cheats, and (best of all) adding high score saving and a text version of the instructions as standard. It's tastefully done and actually useful. I like it. Impossible Mission with high score saving rules.

And I've become used to CPC games asking me a series of O/N questions to begin. 

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

GUNHED

Like always the screens from Brundij are just fantastic!!!  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Brundij

Back again.
Here are 2 CDTs with loading screens since the original didn't have.
Two flavours to choose: Mode 1 from the 16 bits versions and Mode 0 from the title screen of the arcade.
The game is still as ugly as it was. But at least this way is less worse :D
I had this one when I was a kid and it wasn't that bad but was a lazy port with no sound in 64kb. Still I played it quite a lot and it has a place in my heart.

Brundij