News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Adapting loading screens that sucked.

Started by Brundij, 17:14, 29 October 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundij

Quote from: TotO on 14:40, 08 December 21
I think that you don't agree because you don't considerate the splash screen as part of the original game graphist work. But so goes life. As I told you, it was cool to do this for your enjoyment and to improve your skill... Have fun! ;)
I really don't know how you can deduct such thing. Is it because of the title? Well, there are screens which in my opinion, were done in a lazy way. Badly coloured, badly drawn, call it what you like I posted examples of what I mean. Anyways, I don't understand right now. According to your point of view, changing a loading screen is disrespectful to the original work of the graphic artist. Then explain to me how deciding that a game can be improved then changed in part or remaking it wholly is less disrespectful to the original work.

Brundij

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 14:12, 08 December 21
I do like it when "idiotic CPC purists" are annoyed, but I don't like it when they belittle other people's fun... ^_^
... and to add to that annoyance, here is my recent "SUPREMACY C64" rework.

Keep up the good work, @Brundij! Some of us, less vocal people, appreciate what you do!
Thanks for your words. Nice screen! Hope someday I'll have the patience and enough experience  to make some pixel art from scratch.

TotO

Quote from: BrundijI really don't know how you can you deduct such thing.
There is nothing to deduce here. The title screens are usually signed by the game graphic designers. ;)

Quote from: BrundijAccording to your point of view, changing a loading screen is disrespectful to the original work of the graphic artist. Then explain to me how deciding that a game can be improved then changed in part or remaking it wholly is less disrespectful to the original work.
Well... You take what I said out of context to confront two things that don't have to be opposed. For example, you can remove bugs or improve the display and wish to report it on the title screen to let it be known, or even remake the whole game and therefore the title screen that goes with it because no more related to the original graphic designer.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Brundij

Quote from: TotO on 17:13, 08 December 21There is nothing to deduce here. The title screens are usually signed by the game graphic designers. ;)
So you say I have to add something like: This is not an original screen, then credit the original artist in every screen I make that in the other hand had nothing to do with the image I adapted. I think it's pointless since it's obvious it's not the original image. I'ts something no one that has remade or done new loading screens has ever done. Even graphic artists from the 8 bits era do this and don't credit the original artist in their new work (STE'86 anyone?) When I recolour a C64 image I leave as it is, signature and all, then I add mine since recolouring and retouching takes some time and effort to do. And not always add it.
Even if I wanted to do that, I have been doing loading screen compilations from some time now and in many cases it's impossible to track down who did a loading screen when I try to document them. My only sources are pages like CPC Power, Amstrad.es or CPC Rulez which are databases that have done that work.
I just do what I do, again, for fun, and then share it with the community. If someone wants to use the images in their own compilations or dsk images or cdt's or print them in toilet paper then wipe their asses with it they're free to do so.
I'm always open for constructive criticism about the graphic stuff, but since we are going in circles again, it's the last answer you'll get from me regarding what you think what is and what is not correct. Have a nice one.

ComSoft6128

I really like your work, please carry on :)

andycadley

Has there ever been a custom loader with raster splits on the screen? Feels like it would be very tricky for tape (dunno about disk) as it would require interrupts to be enabled and that would surely play havoc with the timing.

Brundij

Quote from: andycadley on 19:25, 08 December 21
Has there ever been a custom loader with raster splits on the screen? Feels like it would be very tricky for tape (dunno about disk) as it would require interrupts to be enabled and that would surely play havoc with the timing.
Beats me.

Brundij

Here is an ALTERNATIVE loading screen for Chase H.Q. This one uses the ZX screen size plus one more line (256x200)

ervin

Absolutely outstanding!
Keep going Brundij!

eto

Quote from: Brundij on 21:19, 08 December 21
Here is an ALTERNATIVE loading screen for Chase H.Q. This one uses the ZX screen size plus one more line (256x200)

Chase HQ is a perfect example. While the game itself is a good Speccy conversion, the original title screen is just a crappy 1:1 clone, not even slightly adapted to properly utilise the CPC. Of course a new screen would have cost some time, so they probably didn't bother. I don't see why this shouldn't be "fixed" and I personally think in such a case it's a big honour for the game developer and designer that someone takes some time today to produce a title screen that suits the game well.

Very well done, a great title screen.

Brundij

I just remembered: Months ago while doing loading screen compilations I found this one done  by Martin Holland (MACH or MACK not sure) for the game Rookie. The loading screen in the preserved copies looks like in the left. Just tinkering with the colours in the palette, not recolouring or changing the palette order I managed to leave it like in the right side.

eto

The left one must be wrong. That looks like someone forgot to set the right palette in the loader - and then it was released without anyone noticing.

Brundij

Quote from: eto on 13:02, 09 December 21
The left one must be wrong. That looks like someone forgot to set the right palette in the loader - and then it was released without anyone noticing.
Such a distraction. Or simply no one gave a s***  :D

Brundij

Alternative version of Predator loading screen

ComSoft6128

Your screens are on CPCRulez:

https://cpcrulez.fr/demostestSL_brundij-adapting_loading_screens_that_sucked..htm

But it would be better if the original screens were also there for comparison - "before & after"  ;D

Brundij

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 15:50, 17 December 21
Your screens are on CPCRulez:

https://cpcrulez.fr/demostestSL_brundij-adapting_loading_screens_that_sucked..htm

But it would be better if the original screens were also there for comparison - "before & after"  ;D
Also there? Cool. I don't know who bothered to compile them all in a DSK but cool and thanks if he reads this. I just stumbled a couple of days ago with some of my CDT compilations in CPC Power. I had no idea :)

BSC

Quote from: Brundij on 11:07, 09 December 21I just remembered: Months ago while doing loading screen compilations I found this one done  by Martin Holland (MACH or MACK not sure) for the game Rookie. The loading screen in the preserved copies looks like in the left. Just tinkering with the colours in the palette, not recolouring or changing the palette order I managed to leave it like in the right side.

The screen on the left looks pretty much like green-scale aka made for being viewed on a GT64/65 monitor. You remember that back in the days games let you chose between (g)reen or (c)olor screen?
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

EgoTrip

Here's an improvement for Count Duckula 2

Brundij

Quote from: BSC on 20:43, 17 December 21
The screen on the left looks pretty much like green-scale aka made for being viewed on a GT64/65 monitor. You remember that back in the days games let you chose between (g)reen or (c)olor screen?
True, I didn't think on it. I had the color monitor in the day and I still think that way :P. Anyways I never saw the color version of that screen so there it is one if there's none.

Brundij

Quote from: EgoTrip on 22:13, 17 December 21
Here's an improvement for Count Duckula 2
That's way beyond my skills :D

Gryzor

Brundij

More Chase H.Q. For those who prefer something more 8 bit looking.

Brundij

And in Mode 1 from the 16 bit version.

lmimmfn

Quote from: Brundij on 20:52, 05 January 22
More Chase H.Q. For those who prefer something more 8 bit looking.
This looks brilliant, great job!!!!
6128 for the win!!!

Gryzor