News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Adapting loading screens that sucked.

Started by Brundij, 17:14, 29 October 21

Previous topic - Next topic

OneVision

Hello,

nice work ! I like it !
I remade the Wonderboy title screen when we released our first level demo.

kawickboy

The toki coder is working to improve chase h.q, maybe he will add a new title screen.

Brundij

Quote from: kawickboy on 09:35, 07 January 22
The toki coder is working to improve chase h.q, maybe he will add a new title screen.
As far as I know he will. He asked me for permission to use the new screen.

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: Brundij on 11:20, 07 January 22
As far as I know he will. He asked me for permission to use the new screen.

Hi ! Indeed I asked you a couple of time ago.
I quote here to thank you and congrat you as well.
As noticed I keep your sign and transpose identically the « Old »colors as you've done.

And people in Amstradiens FB group had appreciated the example screens you had rebuild recently.
Keep doing and enjoy the positive feedback ONLY ^^

Greetings

CyrilleAYOR61
Amstradiens Facebook Group
AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

Brundij

Hi ! Indeed I asked you a couple of time ago.
I quote here to thank you and congrat you as well.
As noticed I keep your sign and transpose identically the « Old »colors as you've done.
That's cool. You may have noticed I'm not on Facebook or Twitter (though Xenomorph kept me informed) so if you want to stay in touch for anything else let me know here.
And people in Amstradiens FB group had appreciated the example screens you had rebuild recently.
Keep doing and enjoy the positive feedback ONLY ^^
Thanks for the kind words. It encourages me to keep going and learning.

Brundij

Here's an alternative loading screen for Black Tiger.

ervin

Brundij

Screen of the game Quartet of C64 adapted for CPC which has no loading screen.

Gryzor

Brundij

One more, The Great Escape this time. I tried different things before I dared to recreate the original logo. With the gothic font of the original screen in red and blue and untitled. So you can choose the one you hate less.

Gryzor

Oh wow these are just great, some of the best ones.

Carnivius

Quote from: Brundij on 21:19, 08 December 21
Here is an ALTERNATIVE loading screen for Chase H.Q. This one uses the ZX screen size plus one more line (256x200)
The other ones look decent but this one's my fave for sure.  The guys look a lot cooler and better drawn.

Quote from: kawickboy on 09:35, 07 January 22
What? How? Am curious.  I thought it was already an amazing port.  What's being added? :O
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Brundij

I also did this one a few days ago for the game Top Top which had no loading screen, a shame since they made a cool cover illustration for it. Also there's a CDT done that includes the loading screen and uses a nice loader with stripes in the border instead of the standard loading routine by blocks.

Brundij

What? How? Am curious.  I thought it was already an amazing port.  What's being added? :O
I don't know the details but I think he's adding some intro besides CPC+ palette(s)

Brundij

My index finger hurts but I think it was worth it.

lmimmfn

Thats absoluteky fantastic, well done!
6128 for the win!!!

Gryzor

Brundij

Did some fixes to the Hunchback 2 screen: One of the bells doesn't look dented and softened the girl's chin.

eto

Awesome...

Do you also create new DSK images and upload them somewhere? I'd love to see them in real action.

btw: is there a specific reason you are using RAR? I know most of us somehow also can open RAR but it often requires extra software, where ZIP can be opened without any 3rd party tool.

Brundij

Quote from: eto on 09:07, 20 January 22
Awesome...

Do you also create new DSK images and upload them somewhere? I'd love to see them in real action.

btw: is there a specific reason you are using RAR? I know most of us somehow also can open RAR but it often requires extra software, where ZIP can be opened without any 3rd party tool.
I could create a cdt. In fact I was thinking about it yesterday.
Someone created a dsk with some of the images, with a slideshow utility that  I don't know the name and uploaded it to CPC rulez. https://cpcrulez.fr/demostestSL_brundij-adapting_loading_screens_that_sucked..htm
I didn't think about that rar thing. I use Winrar and lets me select between rar, rar5 (which I never used) and zip. Sometimes if I remember to check it I use zip and if not rar. Not a particular reason.

eto

Quote from: Brundij on 12:23, 20 January 22
I could create a cdt. In fact I was thinking about it yesterday.

Oh I meant for the particular game. New screen + loader that sets the right colours. Or would that be up to someone else to do that?

Brundij

Quote from: eto on 13:21, 20 January 22Oh I meant for the particular game. New screen + loader that sets the right colours. Or would that be up to someone else to do that?
I don't know how to do that. I can do these cdts with CNG loader because Trocoloco adapted it to load screens sequentially editing a template only. I barely know anything else than changing colours or print some text and place it on screen.  :P

But there's a CDT for Top Top on this thread under it's preview image made by Trocoloco. Trocoloco also made a CDT for Le 5eme Axe and Nich made a DSK, both in this thread https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/le-5-eme-axe-loading-screen/

And here's a CDT compiling all the screens in the thread so far and a couple I didn't posted, chronologically ordered.

Nich

Quote from: Brundij on 14:46, 20 January 22
I don't know how to do that. I can do these cdts with CNG loader because Trocoloco adapted it to load screens sequentially editing a template only. I barely know anything else than changing colours or print some text and place it on screen.  :P

But there's a CDT for Top Top on this thread under it's preview image made by Trocoloco. Trocoloco also made a CDT for Le 5eme Axe and Nich made a DSK, both in this thread https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/le-5-eme-axe-loading-screen/

I could do this for some of @Brundij's loading screens, but it takes a lot of time, especially if the game is a multiload (as I think Black Tiger is). I only did Le 5ème Axe because I believed it was a one-off request.

Brundij

The original wasn't bad at all, but it was a screen adapted from spectrum, here one more fitting for CPC and consistent with the original. In homage to the illustrator Juan Giménez who passed away two years ago in the early stages of COVID-19.

Gryzor

Indeed the original was already lovely, but daaamn 😀