News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Adapting loading screens that sucked.

Started by Brundij, 17:14, 29 October 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundij

We all love our CPC's but some games came with really ugly or bland loading screens. I adapted a few ones that in my opinion look much better in C64 (I can't figure why they didn't use these for CPC since many loading screens are the same with a palette adapted for each system) and since they share similar caracteristics like anamorphic and 16 simultaneous colors I simply adapted the palette for the CPC. If anyone is interested in use them in their own DSK's or CDT's I'll post the SCR files too.

Myth's CPC version didn't have a loading screen.
The Bugout one isn't a CPC game. But I used it to practice some recolouring and learn how patterns work because the art is nice.

ComSoft6128

Excellent work!
I hope @XeNoMoRPH is working on a slideshow :)

Brundij

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 17:37, 29 October 21
Excellent work!
I hope @XeNoMoRPH is working on a slideshow :)
Thanks! I make my own ones in CDT using a loader with stripes in the border which trocoloco a forum member adapted for doing them. So if you're interested check it out.
I forgot to include this one. Adapted form Spectrum this time. The game didn't have loading screen in CPC. Either in ZX.

Brundij

More loading screens for games that didn't have one. This time Shinobi, adapted from the arcade title screen. Two flavours to choose from: Mode 0 and Mode 1.

eto

Just an idea: if you do a black/white Sega logo in Mode 1, you would have a green to get a screen that would be very similar to Arcade.

Brundij

Well I already tried, but a B/W logo over the already black ninja mask doesn't look too good. Also the cpc greens are too dark or too bright to match the original one which is not green but a hue of brown. But if you like it more, here you are. I made another with the dark yellow color (12 , &5E) which is similar to the original.

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Brundij

Quote from: TotO on 19:48, 07 December 21
I have posted that two years ago. ;)
Well, I didn't know that. Your colour choice manages to add detail to the face. Nice one. Mine pales in comparison.

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Brundij

Quote from: TotO on 19:57, 07 December 21
Exactly.
I notice though yours doesn't use the cpc standard resolution. Do you mind if I use yours remove the start and options and I add the Sega logo and copyrights and fit it into a 320 x200 size?

TotO

Because it was made for a Shinobi rework on CPC that not use the same screen resolution.
So, I will prefer to not use it only for the same old CPC game, without ingame improvements.

But, if that can give you some ideas to redo game screens, I'm happy with that.

Brundij

Quote from: TotO on 20:10, 07 December 21
Because it was made for a Shinobi rework on CPC that not use the same screen resolution.
So, I will prefer to not use it only for the same old CPC game, without ingame improvements.

But, if that can give you some ideas to redo game screens, I'm happy with that.
Oh Ok. I didn't know that either. It's hard to follow everything that comes out. Besides, I'm still learning. I've been doing this for a year and a half only. In mode 1 it's really hard to choose which colours to use for the screen to look close to the original. But sometimes as you have shown detail is more important.

lmimmfn

Did Chase HQ ever get fixed? that loading screen was shocking especially compared to the box art which would look great in mode 0
6128 for the win!!!

Brundij

Quote from: lmimmfn on 22:17, 07 December 21
Did Chase HQ ever get fixed? that loading screen was shocking especially compared to the box art which would look great in mode 0
I'm putting that one next on my list. Unless someone did it already.  :P I'll try to do one with the box art, and then adapt the C64 one for the CPC. The one they used has it's charm though.

eto

Quote from: TotO on 19:48, 07 December 21
I have posted that two years ago. ;)

Aren't there 6 colours? the green/yellow, white, black, dark red, bright red and grey?

lmimmfn

Quote from: eto on 10:22, 08 December 21

Aren't there 6 colours? the green/yellow, white, black, dark red, bright red and grey?
Looks like raster splits
6128 for the win!!!

eto

Quote from: lmimmfn on 11:27, 08 December 21Looks like raster splits

I thought so too first, but in the face area (forehead), there seem to be 5 colours per line.

Brundij

I didn't realize. Yeah there are 6 colours, so it's kind of cheating :D Well, the ones I made are standard screens, easier to use in a loader.

TotO

There are mainly 4 colours, but some rasters with up to 5 colours per scanline for the face.
It is not cheating as CPC programs do that from the 80s. It is just using the CPC capabilities.

Either way, I think there is nothing legitimate to replace the original loading screens with others, if there is not behind a desire to make an improved version of the game to go with it.

Brundij

Quote from: TotO on 12:43, 08 December 21
There are mainly 4 colours, but some rasters with up to 5 colours per scanline for the face.
It is not cheating as CPC programs do that from the 80s. It is just using the CPC capabilities.
It was a joke. I just do this for fun, and if someone wants to tinker with their computers they're free to do so. Not everyone has the knowledge or don't have time or desire to learn how to do it the hard way.
Either way, there is nothing legitimate to replace all loading screens with others, if there is not behind a desire to make an improved version of the game to go with it.
Your opinion. What I'm doing has been done before. I may do it worse I don't deny it.

TotO

What else than doing things for fun on CPC?  :)

Whether you make title screens for your pleasure, it's cool and allow to familiarize yourself with the machine and improve your skills. It was the object of my contribution and my opinion is linked to respect and not forget for the original work.

Brundij

Well I understand your point and respect it but I don't agree. I really don't see anything disrespectful in swapping a loading screen for another, which is something whoever does, will do it in the privacy of his tinkering with his own game copies (If anyone uses the screens I make at all). I'm not distributing copies of games with title screen swapped. I don't even know how to do a proper loader in basic for disc games. Only for tapes and barely.

tastefulmrship

I do like it when "idiotic CPC purists" are annoyed, but I don't like it when they belittle other people's fun... ^_^
... and to add to that annoyance, here is my recent "SUPREMACY C64" rework.

Keep up the good work, @Brundij! Some of us, less vocal people, appreciate what you do!

TotO

Quote from: Brundij on 13:38, 08 December 21
Well I understand your point and respect it but I don't agree. I really don't see anything disrespectful in swapping a loading screen for another
I think that you don't agree because you don't considerate the splash screen as part of the original game graphist work. But so goes life. As I told you, it was cool to do this for your enjoyment and to improve your skill... Have fun! ;)

TotO

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 14:12, 08 December 21
I do like it when "idiotic CPC purists" are annoyed, but I don't like it when they belittle other people's fun... ^_^
... and to add to that annoyance, here is my recent "SUPREMACY C64" rework.
I forget each time that we can no longer exchange our point of view or our experience on forums without people feeling attacked, as on social networks... Anyway, nice screen!  :-*