News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC game of 2009

Started by Nreive, 17:33, 07 January 10

Previous topic - Next topic

The best Amstrad CPC game of 2009?

BeTiled!
5 (8.6%)
Eternal Light
1 (1.7%)
iLogicAll
0 (0%)
Nanako Descends to Hell
1 (1.7%)
Nanako in Classic Japanese Monster Castle
0 (0%)
Orion Prime
30 (51.7%)
Phantomas Tales #1: Marsport
0 (0%)
Platformer Medley Block #1
0 (0%)
Robotron 128
1 (1.7%)
Sewer Rat
1 (1.7%)
Sort'em
0 (0%)
Sudoku Master
4 (6.9%)
Star Sabre 128k
15 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 58

redbox

I too am amazed at all the great games to be released on the CPC this year.  My PS3 is being neglected in favour of my 6128+ which is pretty amazing ;)

I am waiting for the English release of Orion Prime as my French is terrible - I should have paid more attention at school.

So for me it's Star Sabre 128k which is simply superb.   :)

Deeko

Voting Star Sabre 128k, it's my lunch break obsession emulated on my Nintedo DS  :D

I like that RD128+ gets an honourable mention, it's a great game thats been made fresh and given that "complete" feeling at lot of games lacked on dear old arnold.

Waiting with anticipation for the English translation of Orion Prime too, hear great things about the French descriptive language.

scheeba

I voted for Nanako descends to hell, but it was close between that and the other Mojon games. Seeing Nanako in Retro Gamer was what finally pushed me over into getting some cpc hardware instead of just emulating, and I gotta love it for that 8). Also, releasing the C sources and resources for their games are really helping me get into z88dk/cpcrslib. Cheers guys!

It's great to see such an active scene, with such an array of quality games coming out. I can only vote for one, but definite props to everyone who released new titles this year, it's inspiring to see such talent at work on the cpc.

Gryzor

I think scheeba's post is the best in this thread - difficult to imagine that a small release can have such an effect on a person. And, indeed, it's surprising how alive the scene is...

ukmarkh

I log in every day, sometimes three or four times... the news and games keep coming thick and fast, and it's fun using yesterdays 8-bit tech, inserting a cassette and waiting 10 mins for a new game to load has me sitting there with baited breath and massive excitment. No other system apart from maybe the Speccy gives me this feeling.

TFM

Well, seriously I have to decide between Star Sabre and Orion. Nothing else! Hmmm, very different game concepts. Star Sabre coded by only one person in a short time is fascinating, but too hard to play. Orion has a good intro and seems to be very complex, but french sucks! So how to decide? Not easy...
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

My vote was on Star Sabre, due to various reasons, like Orion isn't out in english yet, and I like arcade games more.

Anyway, I think this voting stuff should have been done slightly different. Instead of voting for only 1 game, we should have been able to reward points. Doesn't seem fair to me that some games gets nothing, because naturally everyone will only vote for the best games. Just a thought for next time.
Let us give 10 points to 1 game, 9 points to another, 8 points to a 3rd...etc etc.

MacDeath

That's right.

French sucks (by a didn't have the choice, thx mamma...)

And to reward points would have been more fair.

Spanish games deserve more than 1 vote...

Do the spanish come here sometimes ???

robcfg

I'm spanish, and I do recognize that the spanish games are quite good and with a lot of sense of humor, but my vote goes for Orion Prime as I've never seen anything that pushes the limits of the cpc that far.

Ygdrazil

I think this vote is a bit unfair :o

As I liked a lot of the above games!!

Different genres so very difficult to compare them. Eg. Betiled (Puzze) to Star Sabre (Shooter) ??!?!?!?

Well three votes should be granted per person.. Well, If must vote, the vote goes for Orion Prime (Pushes the limits)

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: robcfg on 14:14, 31 January 10
I'm spanish, and I do recognize that the spanish games are quite good and with a lot of sense of humor, but my vote goes for Orion Prime as I've never seen anything that pushes the limits of the cpc that far.

mr_lou

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 15:35, 31 January 10
Well three votes should be granted per person.. Well, If must vote, the vote goes for Orion Prime (Pushes the limits)

I don't think 3 votes is enough. I think it should be like this:

If there were 10 games, we should have 10 votes, each vote worth different points
Vote 1 = 10 points
Vote 2 = 9 points
Vote 3 = 8 points
Vote 4 = 7 points
Vote 5 = 6 points
Vote 6 = 5 points
Vote 7 = 4 points
Vote 8 = 3 points
Vote 9 = 2 points
Vote 10 = 1 point

That way all games gets some points.

Gryzor

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:41, 30 January 10
I log in every day, sometimes three or four times... the news and games keep coming thick and fast, and it's fun using yesterdays 8-bit tech, inserting a cassette and waiting 10 mins for a new game to load has me sitting there with baited breath and massive excitment. No other system apart from maybe the Speccy gives me this feeling.

You got a point there - nothing beats having an actual machine sitting there, loading the game from tape and watching the border dance while the speaker scratches at your girlfriend's ears...

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:45, 31 January 10
I don't think 3 votes is enough. I think it should be like this:

If there were 10 games, we should have 10 votes, each vote worth different points
Vote 1 = 10 points
Vote 2 = 9 points
Vote 3 = 8 points
Vote 4 = 7 points
Vote 5 = 6 points
Vote 6 = 5 points
Vote 7 = 4 points
Vote 8 = 3 points
Vote 9 = 2 points
Vote 10 = 1 point

That way all games gets some points.

Unfortunately this type of voting is not supported. I could give all users several votes, but I can't assign values to them... so you'd have say, 3 or 4 votes of equal value.

TFM

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 15:35, 31 January 10
/Ygdrazil

The same it true for Star Sabre 128, have you ever seen such intelligent enemy waves or such super weapons?

Orion Prime has got the attention it deserves. But Star Sabre 128 deserves it too. However - at least for me - it's not doable to compare both games, because they are very different. Both are excellent work and way better than any 99.9% commercial stuff ever releaed for the CPC.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

Also Star Sabre is fast as hell, few CPC games managed a decent speed...

Yet slightly bigger sprites and/or a few mor weapons wouldn't hurt... ;D

BTW getting 3 different yet equal votes may be fair enough IMO...

The 10 votes with decreased points seems far too Eurovision-like to me.
And we all know eurovision is screwed by smaller countries votes and cultural blocks.

(Norsk or Slavics)

Only good thing was the victory from Lordy !!!

(what a laugh....they managed to get eurovision cool for once...)

ukmarkh

Star Sabre brings the lone fighter brilliance of R-Type and many other fighters into one game. I love the fact that there aren't a stupid amount of weapons or upgrades, and that the enemy has a massive advantage in regards to firepower.

I love the fact that the weapons you start with, are pretty much the weapons you end the game with. It's you against the machine, and against all odds... skill is everything. The enemy formations are predictable, and its not as good as some of the top shooters on the C64 or Speccy, but damn! It's hot on their heels... and a massive step in the right direction considering the limitations of the machine. Quite remarkable yes! Gets my vote.

Can't wait for the 3rd game... Star Sabre: The Return

TFM

Well, since R-Type was mentioned... Take a look at McBeth aehm McDeaths famous R-Type gfx on his wiki site! Such an R-Type would be a world apart. However the scrolling of the game could be better though.

@ McDeath: Get your coders working ;-) The gfx are already great!
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

Thx, tfm/hs/SM/dkjffvsexdlmgn/Fs...

But those are not really what we'll have in the remasterised Fano edition.

I did them with Tile studio a while ago, with artisanally ripped graphics.

Yet the work I did actually helps me now i'm doing it for real, and I use it as a model.
But the tile structure will be a bit more rigid using the actual R-Type engine, (i'll have to work it)

Yet I must admit I should work on them again, haven't touched them for some weeks...
Lots of work and as it is a graphically very limited engine, I can't always do as I wish.

ukmarkh

Macdeath... if you finish in time, I'll include the game in the book :)

fano

The road is still long for this project, we reach only the first 1/3.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

MacDeath

QuoteMacdeath... if you finish in time, I'll include the game in the book
Ask Fano indeed.

The graphic part is actually the most trivial part of the project (just as in Rick 128+...)

Yet it is the most visible part too so I get all the due respect while Fano not ! ::)

Fano is not my coder : I am HIS graphist.