News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Another World CPC

Started by Misel982001, 17:30, 15 February 21

Previous topic - Next topic

roudoudou

Here is some (little) stuff with Flashback sprite sheet  8)
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

norecess464

Did you really enjoy that game ? I mean, seriously ? did someone here really finish the game?
Only my personal opinion: I loved the atmosphere, the graphics. Impressive back then, still impressive today.
But the game itself (the gameplay) ? I always found it too difficult / too frustrating. Probably because I wished to play the game as fast as an arcade game..
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

VincentGR

I loved that game and finished it on my A500 back then.
Later on the MD an PC.
A few days ago I was live-streaming it :-)

Gryzor

An amazing experience on my ST. Some parts may be hard, but it does feel like you're playing a _story_ and not just a game.

manossg

I completed it bitd as well as in the past few months.

It is certainly completable, but you have to persist. Especially the parts before the arena and the underground one with the falling rocks are very frustrating and require buddha's patience.

VincentGR

The controls are laggy, so you must learn how to dance with it indeed.

zeropolis79

Quote from: manossg on 17:41, 16 February 21
I completed it bitd as well as in the past few months.

It is certainly completable, but you have to persist. Especially the parts before the arena and the underground one with the falling rocks are very frustrating and require buddha's patience.

The rellections in the green light thing took me a while to figure out.

norecess464

OK I get it ; I did not enjoy the game but that does not mean it's a bad game -- this game is just not for me.  :)  Thanks all for sharing your experiences!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

robcfg

Quote from: roudoudou on 16:39, 16 February 21

Hehehe, brilliant!  ;D

zeropolis79

Quote from: norecess on 19:01, 16 February 21
OK I get it ; I did not enjoy the game but that does not mean it's a bad game -- this game is just not for me.  :)  Thanks all for sharing your experiences!

Each to their own.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Gryzor

Quote from: roudoudou on 16:39, 16 February 21
Hahaha that was great :D

Gryzor

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I'm sure that all the in-game aspects of the game could be done for the CPC (with enough storage for however many screens it has) - often only a small area of the screen is updating as well which means things aren't too difficult, as long as you can store the image data.

It's the cinematics that would need some work, to be done appropriately (rendering polygons or similar, not playing a video from mass storage!). Someone did the intro on the C64 recently, so it's possible to some extent. As they're mainly flat colours, maybe each frame could be stored as differences from the previous rather than rendering the polys direct (did the 16-bit versions even do this though?), but again, storage space.

NiNxPe

In CPC mode Plus; it could be better like this :

XeNoMoRPH

if C64 can do it, Amstrad can too ...  :-X :-X :-X

https://youtu.be/t6xqaMjlGKI
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Gryzor

That is nice indeed!

roudoudou

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 14:38, 11 March 21
if C64 can do it, Amstrad can too ...  :-X :-X :-X
[/l]
QuoteNO SPRITES USED, NO PRE COMPUTED ANIMATION DATA.
obviously the animations are pre-computed  ;D the missing information is what the renderer is doing precisely

We do not know the media used (romboard/cartridge, floppy) or the requirements

Sykobee (Briggsy)

A lot of modern C64 games are using a 512KB cartridge format that has become popular. I imagine any large game, graphically, will be using the same these days.

Targhan

There is nothing really hard to do, it's always a matter of how long it's going to be. As the animated scenes are rather simple, a simple diff with tilesets could do wonders. The same for the static images, and even probably the sprites. 128k is enough (with loading here and there of course).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

BSC

Quote from: norecess on 16:46, 16 February 21I always found it too difficult / too frustrating.

Exactly my experience with the game! Also all the other things you wrote. I have just recently read about the guy who made the original Amiga version (all on his own, apparently) and the many follow-ups etc and I found that it is still considered one of the best games ever. I mean, I gave it my fair amount of time, but I think I that some day I just quit trying no to get shot in the bathroom time and again. Did you have to start over from scratch after dying?
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

roudoudou

Quote from: BSC on 17:32, 11 March 21
Exactly my experience with the game! Also all the other things you wrote. I have just recently read about the guy who made the original Amiga version (all on his own, apparently) and the many follow-ups etc and I found that it is still considered one of the best games ever. I mean, I gave it my fair amount of time, but I think I that some day I just quit trying no to get shot in the bathroom time and again. Did you have to start over from scratch after dying?
there is codes every 2 or 3 screens, you do not have to retry from scratch every time you play

manossg

If you guys find Another World difficult and frustrating, oh boy, you must try Heart of the Alien, you're in for a treat! :P

Gryzor

Quote from: manossg on 19:28, 11 March 21Heart of the Alien

Who will sell me a Sega CD at a reasonable price? :)

VincentGR

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:44, 12 March 21
Who will sell me a Sega CD at a reasonable price? :)

Try the Amiga port and the Another World lost level till you get one  ;D