News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

arcade conversions to cpc.... that werent

Started by cpc4eva, 23:48, 15 April 10

Previous topic - Next topic

cpc4eva

i really loved the cpc conversion richard (executioner) did with arcade frogger to cpc plus - got me thinking of other cool arcade games that didnt make it to cpc  like galaga which id love to see on cpc.

arnoldemu

Quote from: cpc4eva on 23:48, 15 April 10
i really loved the cpc conversion richard (executioner) did with arcade frogger to cpc plus - got me thinking of other cool arcade games that didnt make it to cpc  like galaga which id love to see on cpc.
talking about games that werent. i worked on a conversion of Repton 3 to the CPC.
I asked the guy at Superior Software about it and he said that I don't have permission. So my code was shelved.
I had all the levels converted, the frontend working, the scrolling and most of the ingame logic :(
But I respected his wishes and stopped development and I will never release it.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

robcfg

I find it completely shameful on his side to not give permission for a remake of an old game for an old platform.

Of course, I also respect his decision, but he must also respect mine to not visit his site and not buying his port of the game to iPhone, for example.

ukmarkh

Just finish it, and release it secretly to us lot only, or deny all knowlegde and release it anyway. Put the programmers name as Jon Doe.

Gryzor

Rob has a point. Alienate your fans, FTW!!!

But, can I come and break into your house? I promise I'll only take a backup of your drive! Or, you could accidentally email it to me instead of that excel file you meant to send me*.....

*my gf used to work as a sub-contractor for a medical studies company. One day her liaison at corp. HQ sent out to everyone, by mistake, the amounts they pay all sub-contractors! Minutes later another email came, "please disregard the previous file, here is the correct one" :D

GFXOR

Maybe you could give some very small modifications for the game considered as different (the gfx, the screen size, the options, some monsters, the name, add a rule or whatever : I don't know this game).

It is different from a country to another, but in France, it is impossible to patent the principle of a game : you can do it for the gfx, the code (by the listing), the screen organization (hum, hum...), but the principles are too interpretable for someone being able to protect it.

So you should have to be very similar to his game to be considered as a forgery. Especially if you don't sell the game, especially if the author doesn't want to make it working on the CPC.

I never heard about some problems with Arkanoid who stole the ball breaker concept ! I never heard about problems for Titan Quest copying Diablo, or for Diablo copying Gauntlet !

Of course, if you took the original Z80 code to adapt it to the CPC, it is completely different.
Supersly from the Les sucres en morceaux

MacDeath

Quotearcade conversions to cpc....   that werent
Just have a look at the Vaporwares

arnoldemu

Quote from: GFXOR on 14:08, 16 April 10
Maybe you could give some very small modifications for the game considered as different (the gfx, the screen size, the options, some monsters, the name, add a rule or whatever : I don't know this game).
It is close to Boulderdash. The original author, of the BBC version,  claims he never saw this game when he designed Repton.

Quote from: GFXOR on 14:08, 16 April 10
It is different from a country to another, but in France, it is impossible to patent the principle of a game : you can do it for the gfx, the code (by the listing), the screen organization (hum, hum...), but the principles are too interpretable for someone being able to protect it.

So you should have to be very similar to his game to be considered as a forgery. Especially if you don't sell the game, especially if the author doesn't want to make it working on the CPC.

I never heard about some problems with Arkanoid who stole the ball breaker concept ! I never heard about problems for Titan Quest copying Diablo, or for Diablo copying Gauntlet !

Of course, if you took the original Z80 code to adapt it to the CPC, it is completely different.
The code is all mine, but i used the original BBC graphics, levels and frontend design.
So this must be changed.

I am happy to change these and make a new game, but would need help with graphics, sound and level design.
My games. My Games

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:58, 19 April 10
It is close to Boulderdash. The original author, of the BBC version,  claims he never saw this game when he designed Repton.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

I was just going to say that how can the Repton author ask you not to port a clone when his game was completely based on Boulderdash...!

Gryzor

Yeah... if THAT ain't hypocritical, I don't know what is... Name it with some other name and release it! F*ckers...

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

Axelay

I think you should just leave it as is, but call it "Reptoid".  It'll be a completely different game!

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:14, 19 April 10
Yeah... if THAT ain't hypocritical, I don't know what is... Name it with some other name and release it! F*ckers...

Exxxxactly!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM/FS on 04:42, 20 April 10

Exxxxactly!
I will keep to my word. I will not release Repton, but I am happy to make an alternative version.

My games. My Games

Gryzor

Glimmer of hope!!! I really hope it doesn't all go down the drain...

ukmarkh

I hope it doesn't go down the pan...

TFM

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:39, 20 April 10
I will keep to my word. I will not release Repton, but I am happy to make an alternative version.

Well, that's an old philosophical discussion. What's more important to give the word, or whom you have given the word. However like you told, change some things, and everything can be fine. I just say, it would be a pity if you invest all the time in creating a code, that never will be used. :-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Can't say I care much about the blue theme, but I understand it's close to the original. But it looks very faithful!

MacDeath

Is it the so called Mode3, with an awesome 4 coloured mode0 ? :-\

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:48, 22 April 10

Hehe, could be. Mode 3 saves a lot of bits, not bytes, but bits ;-) Whoever want them?
TFM of FutureSoft

arnoldemu

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:48, 22 April 10
no.
This is mode 0 using BBC 4 colour graphics.

I didn't change the gfx.

One screen shows the game in mode 1, other shows it in mode 0.
But look, a lot was done :(
I am thinking of contacting Superior Software and asking again.

The plan was to convert it as accurate as possible and then recolour the sprites after.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Yeah, you can see there's a lot of work in there... but I wonder if anything will change :(

ukmarkh

Doesn't look very Amstrad CPC... 

MacDeath

So it's like BoulderDash : it used 4 coloured mode0 only because the other computers were also in 4 colours...
that's so disapointing.

No Ambition in the port.

I you want improuved graphX in 16 colours...
Just ask me I may give you a tile set then...

As it is a mode0, it's certainly done to have 16 colours or is there a trick as in GhostandGob/ghoul's and ghost so it must use 4 colours ?

Just give me the tilesheet and sprite sheet, and the specification you'll need, and I'll may give you back those with redone graphx....

Another way may be to actually change the graphix so it is not really the game but a clone. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repton_%28video_game%29

"artic repton" on Archimede...