News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Athanor - the legend of the birdmen is out!

Started by khaz, 17:50, 07 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

khaz

Why isn't there a thread already?

Eric Safar has started taking orders and sending packages for the French version The English one should follow very soon, it's a matter of days (everything is otherwise ready, the box and its content are completely bilingual already.) Be sure to follow his website, the physical edition seem to be in very limited numbers.

I just got mine in the mail today, and I'm really enjoying it! The box states there are or will be releases for the Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, IBM PC and Atari Falcon. No idea of when to expect those unfortunately.

www.safargames.fr

ComSoft6128

Any chance of some screen shots?

Cheers,

Peter

khaz

Sorry for the crap pics. There are no official screenshots of the final version, and my phone doesn't like taking pics of a CRT apparently.

Targhan

More important, is the game good?
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

khaz

I don't know, I just started it :shrug:
I'll tell you after 20 hours of gameplay haha

I really enjoyed the first Athanor, and I have no reason to be disappointed in that one?

TomEtJerry

Quote from: Targhan on 18:57, 07 April 18
More important, is the game good?

It is of course not as good as Orion prime, but cannot be bad as there are Starkos tunes inside :D .

Athanor 2 has been officially launched during the AC 2018 convention. As the english release is still in the oven for a few weeks, I suppose that is the reason why there was not yet advertising about the game here.

You can have some news about the game here : http://www.safargames.fr/

Targhan

I'm not interested in the packaged game, but will there be a DSK version? This is not mentioned on the website.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

TomEtJerry

If you buy the game, you will have of course access to a digital copy. Anyway the packaging is probably one of the best ever done for Amstrad and deserves a little financial effort.  8)

Like for Athanor 1, I suppose the game will be available for free in a few weeks/months.

jesusdelmas

Quote from: TomEtJerry on 15:10, 08 April 18
If you buy the game, you will have of course access to a digital copy. Anyway the packaging is probably one of the best ever done for Amstrad and deserves a little financial effort.  8)

Like for Athanor 1, I suppose the game will be available for free in a few weeks/months.

looks good! i hope the dsk release is soon.

ComSoft6128

I will buy the English version when it is released.

Looking for a volunteer to write a detailed review to publish in the Wiki - I will pay for the postage both ways.

Cheers,

Peter

||C|-|E||

It looks very promising, and I will definitely give it a good go  :)

Targhan

Well, I finally ordered it (though I fully admit I didn't like the first one)! I'll tell you how good it is as soon as I receive it :) .
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Gryzor

Please, please keep us updated on the English version! I loved the first one, really looking forward to the second...

Targhan

I received my copy today. The package is really nice. Started the game, graphics are rather good, so are the music.

... But I can't manage to do anything, the parser does not understand anything, I can not buy stuff even though I see it. I can not take or examine things even though it is there in the description of the room. It's terribly frustrating.
The loading between screens are also very slow.

I can not hide my disappointment, I'm sorry. But this is 2018 and the developer is supposed to have coded many professional games. The result is surprisingly awful, and I'm not having any fun playing this.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 22:11, 26 April 18I can't manage to do anything, the parser does not understand anything, I can not buy stuff even though I see it. I can not take or examine things even though it is there in the description of the room. It's terribly frustrating.

You just described me playing any text adventure game ever.

Gryzor

||C|-|E||

Oops... is it possible to try it in English?

Targhan

The English version is not released yet.

QuoteYou just described me playing any text adventure game ever.
Did you try Doomsday Lost Echoes? The parser is simple but does not let you down, looking at objects works, using them gives a result of whether it works or not. It does not let you in the dark! So it is possible to have fun at playing to a text adventure and I had a thrilling time playing this game. I expected the same from Athanor 2...

But really, do not take my opinion too seriously, I'm sure many people will enjoy this game. Zisquier had already finished it. I'll have another go of course. But I don't understand why playing a text adventure must be painful.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 08:42, 27 April 18Did you try Doomsday Lost Echoes? The parser is simple but does not let you down, looking at objects works, using them gives a result of whether it works or not. It does not let you in the dark! So it is possible to have fun at playing to a text adventure and I had a thrilling time playing this game.

No, haven't tried it. Gotta admit my past experience; "sucking at adventure games" had made me avoid the genre.
But when you put it like that, I obviously have to check out Doomsday now...

Gryzor

Oh, believe me, Doomsday is just excellent* - and quite original to boot!

*not an impartial review

khaz

http://www.safargames.fr/index.php/58-athanor-2-uk-version-available

I did find it quite hard and I had trouble getting very far. I need to get back to it though.

Targhan

QuoteI did find it quite hard and I had trouble getting very far. I need to get back to it though.
At least I'm not the only one. Maybe I should try again too.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Atlantis

Hi
Don"t hesitate to MP me if you want some help !  :)
Regards

TomEtJerry

Hello,

Just to be sure everyone has clearly received the message (that was not my case  :picard: ) :

the UK release of "Athanor - the legend of the birdmen" is now available. You can buy it sending a mail to its author at eric (c) safargames.fr and play the game now even if you can"t read french.

More informations about "Athanor TLOTB" here :

http://www.safargames.fr/index.php/58-athanor-2-uk-version-available

To enjoy this oldschool style adventure, you need a CPC with 128kb.

Nich

Quote from: Targhan on 22:11, 26 April 18
I received my copy today. The package is really nice. Started the game, graphics are rather good, so are the music.

... But I can't manage to do anything, the parser does not understand anything, I can not buy stuff even though I see it. I can not take or examine things even though it is there in the description of the room. It's terribly frustrating.

I can not hide my disappointment, I'm sorry. But this is 2018 and the developer is supposed to have coded many professional games. The result is surprisingly awful, and I'm not having any fun playing this.

I purchased the English version of the game and received it a few days ago, and I am experiencing exactly the same problems as Targhan. The game doesn't seem to respond to the EXAMINE command, and there don't even seem to be any objects for me to TAKE (it doesn't understand the word GET). The parser seems to be very limited. I can TALK TO some characters, but after an initial response from them, I don't know how to converse further with them.

I can't fault the beautiful digitised graphics, the tunes that I've heard so far are very good (thanks to @TomEtJerry), and I love the packaging and the 'feelies' (no doubt a homage to Infocom), but I can't help but feel disappointed playing the game.