News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

atic atac

Started by shaymanjohn, 18:54, 15 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

shaymanjohn

Updated release here: https://github.com/shaymanjohn/aticatac-cpc/releases/tag/v0.4

• Reworked the player collision model so that door entry/exit is much more how it should be - added bonus of that is that tables are now solid (i.e. you can't walk through them)
  • (though for now you can still walk through any door)
  • Hopefully the random crash bug is fixed
  • Auto open/close of doors
  • Other minor tweaks

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

kawickboy

STE, is it your 1st CPC project ?

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Looks lovely now. Doors still seem require a lot of precision (from the video) but it's all coming together nicely, it seems.

shaymanjohn

Hi,

I think the doors are working as they should now actually - it's just that standing in front of one doesn't make it open (you just need to wait for the timer to fire basically).

Sound effects and a bit of logic on the boss rooms, few smaller bits and pieces and it's done.

(Then to work out what to do next!)

STE86

Quote from: kawickboy on 10:43, 09 October 20
STE, is it your 1st CPC project ?
no, but it will be the first one to get released since about 1990 :)

STE86

Quote from: shaymanjohn on 08:33, 10 October 20(Then to work out what to do next!)

Well.... I just so happen to have most of the graphics for Fix It Felix jr and Dropzone already done from a while ago...

genesis8

The 5th WIP was released 3 days ago : https://github.com/shaymanjohn/aticatac-cpc/releases
No video of the 5th WIP atm.

zeropolis79

I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Ultimate games on the Spectrum but eager to give the CPC version of this a try when a full version is done..

Nomad

Quote from: shaymanjohn on 20:36, 12 June 20
Menu screen is very much function over style at the moment...game is 6128 only...
I'm also eager to try this out. Will there be a 464 version at some point?

shaymanjohn

Hi Nomad,

I'm afraid there won't be a 464 version, I need 128K to make it work for a few reasons:

• Amstrad graphics take up more space than spectrum graphics of the same dimensions due to the higher resolution screen
  • As I'm using Mode 0 (where the pixels have a rectangular aspect ratio) I can't rotate the images in software, so they need storing twice (on the Spectrum Ultimate dynamically rotate all the doors / room decorations / etc for the side walls)
  • To avoid flickery sprites I'm hardware double buffering the screen which reduces the amount of memory I've got available
  • Being honest, it's my first project, so might not be the most efficient way of doing things. Ultimate did do a version of Sabre Wulf for the 464, but it did have flickery sprites (so not double buffered), and there's no object rotation in that game either
(I'm not knocking Ultimate there by the way - they made amazing games!).

Nomad

Quote from: shaymanjohn on 15:25, 14 October 20
Hi Nomad,

I'm afraid there won't be a 464 version, I need 128K to make it work for a few reasons:

• Amstrad graphics take up more space than spectrum graphics of the same dimensions due to the higher resolution screen
  • As I'm using Mode 0 (where the pixels have a rectangular aspect ratio) I can't rotate the images in software, so they need storing twice (on the Spectrum Ultimate dynamically rotate all the doors / room decorations / etc for the side walls)
  • To avoid flickery sprites I'm hardware double buffering the screen which reduces the amount of memory I've got available
  • Being honest, it's my first project, so might not be the most efficient way of doing things. Ultimate did do a version of Sabre Wulf for the 464, but it did have flickery sprites (so not double buffered), and there's no object rotation in that game either

Thanks for the in depth explanation: fair enough. Hopefully I can check it out via an emulator or with an expanded 464.   

Quote from: shaymanjohn on 15:25, 14 October 20(I'm not knocking Ultimate there by the way - they made amazing games!).

Agreed! Their stuff under the RARE moniker is also amazing. :)

shaymanjohn

I'd also like to know if this works on an expanded 464 - if the bank switching works the same as the 6128 it should do...

TotO

dK'tronics or compatible must do the job.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

alexh

I see it has gone RC1.0 a few days ago. Nice xmas present. It's very good. The bit thing that could be improved is the SFX. It has SFX and it is good don't get me wrong but the original spectrum beeper SFX is part of the nostalgia. It would IMO be great if the SFX was closer to the original, perhaps optionally?

Some unlocked but closed doors seem to take longer to open than I remember... but that could be my memory.

It's quite easy to mistake locked red doors for unlocked closed doors, yes the gfx are different, but in the spectrum game they were all white and distinct from their locked counterparts.

Once again thanks for creating this great CPC game.
Nostalgia is worth more than money

manossg

Quote from: alexh on 14:34, 25 December 20It has SFX and it is good don't get me wrong but the original spectrum beeper SFX is part of the nostalgia.

True, if one feels nostalgic about migraines.  :P

shaymanjohn

Quote from: alexh on 14:34, 25 December 20
I see it has gone RC1.0 a few days ago. Nice xmas present. It's very good. The bit thing that could be improved is the SFX. It has SFX and it is good don't get me wrong but the original spectrum beeper SFX is part of the nostalgia. It would IMO be great if the SFX was closer to the original, perhaps optionally?

Some unlocked but closed doors seem to take longer to open than I remember... but that could be my memory.

It's quite easy to mistake locked red doors for unlocked closed doors, yes the gfx are different, but in the spectrum game they were all white and distinct from their locked counterparts.

Once again thanks for creating this great CPC game.

Thanks Alexh. New release up today, very minor changes - changed the pick up key from G to Z (to help people playing on keyboard), plus small tweaks. Releases can be found here:
https://github.com/shaymanjohn/aticatac-cpc/releases

Mr. DVG

Quote from: shaymanjohn on 17:38, 25 December 20

Thanks Alexh. New release up today, very minor changes - changed the pick up key from G to Z (to help people playing on keyboard), plus small tweaks. Releases can be found here:
https://github.com/shaymanjohn/aticatac-cpc/releases
I have been following the development of this title for Amstrad CPC for a long time, and the latest releases finally offer a playable product, so congratulations to the programmer, the graphic designer and the musician!

I point out a bug present in many releases that concerns passing through the barrel in some areas, when controlling the servant character. The one represented in the screenshots is one of those steps where the character gets stuck and there is no way to get him out of that position until the loss of life (I don't know if this also happens with the other characters, but it seems to me not).

Another thing concerns the passage of the main character over other sprites (such as fur on the ground, tree trunks, stairs and other elements of the backdrop) which creates very unsightly color contrasts. Is there no way to correct this? Apart from these things the game is perfect and the final release will very well compete with the equally beautiful version for C64!

Thanks for everything, really! :-*

shaymanjohn

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about this bug so will take a look!

shaymanjohn

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 17:59, 25 December 20I point out a bug present in many releases that concerns passing through the barrel in some areas, when controlling the servant character. The one represented in the screenshots is one of those steps where the character gets stuck and there is no way to get him out of that position until the loss of life (I don't know if this also happens with the other characters, but it seems to me not).

I've put up a fixed version - thanks for letting me know about this

Mr. DVG

Quote from: shaymanjohn on 22:00, 25 December 20

Nothing! Thanks to you for this great job!

Mr. DVG

Quote from: shaymanjohn on 22:00, 25 December 20
If it can be useful in the new version, I found another one that was blocked (see screenshot)! ;)

In this case it doesn't get stuck, it just doesn't go through it!

shaymanjohn

Thanks Mr DVG - fixed this one too (new release up).

reidrac

I gave the RC something a go and... can't seem to be able to pick up objects?

Using cpcec emulator, neither the joystick or Z key do it.

EDIT: OK, downloaded RC4 and works! Sorry for the noise.

As suggestion: show the version on the menu screen.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.