News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Bears! fix and apologies to Xyphoe!!

Started by dthrone, 14:42, 07 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

dthrone

It's almost been 3 years since Bears! was released for the GX.  It was great, a review/interview in Retro Gamer, lots of positive feedback and an awesome live longplay on Youtube by Xyphoe.  But one thing always bugged me, Xyphoe had a couple of random crashes during his playthrough...  ???

At the time I admittedly wrote this off as 'the emulator'.  The game had been thoroughly playtested, completed by various people, and this had never come up, it couldn't possibly be a problem with the game.  And I couldn't replicate the crash, it was going to be a nightmare to even start to look into. 

3 years pass and I receive reports of a similar random crash and am provided with a Winape snapshot just before it to work with.  Problem solved, so here I present a crash-immune update to Bears!  Big apologies to Xyphoe!!  :-[

Why didn't it come up in playtesting?  Ironically it was because it was tested on a real GX.  The problem was a very very slow memory leak related to the collision detection, it would only become a potential problem if the RAM never got reset, which unless you're mad enough to have played through in one sitting, wouldn't happen.  If however you are playing on an emulator and using snapshots to save, you're never getting that reset.  On a normal emulator with snapshot playthrough, I'd say on average it would become a potential problem about 2/3 into the game.

The most up-to-date versions of things are always the ones on my website sohde.co.uk as I don't have control of other places the file might be found – CPCpower etc. Unfortunately I can't attach the .cpr to this post.

Enjoy!

Off work for the weekend now  8)

GUNHED

Thank you very much!!! Great thing, that you still use time and efforts for an update.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Arnaud

Great you finally find the bug !

robcfg

Try zipping the CPR file. The forum software can be picky sometimes.

dthrone

Xyphoe

Hey no worries at all! We were able to get through the game to the end, so all was good! I'm glad there's now a fixed and final version of the game :) Well done!
Do you have any more new games on the horizon?

dthrone

Quote from: Xyphoe on 06:45, 15 May 20
Hey no worries at all! We were able to get through the game to the end, so all was good! I'm glad there's now a fixed and final version of the game :) Well done!
Do you have any more new games on the horizon?

Of course, I'll try and do a proper website update soon with some up to date info on everything.  No snazzy preview videos which seem all the rage at the moment unfortunately  :P