News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best EVER Amstrad CPC Games

Started by Z|G, 18:27, 27 April 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Z|G

Seen the worst thread, interested in the best.and a brief why?
I'll kick off.
-Sorcery, Sorcery+. thought this was just the most amazing game I had ever seen. Hours spent playing it. just good game idea, good game play
recently seen a youtube of someone playing it to completion in < 7 mins *SHOCK*
-Bombjack, another just fun to play game.
-1942, always a classic
-Bmx Simulator, was awesome.  true artistry in the background. remove the background images and this would just plain suck
-Ghost 'n Goblins, yeah not the best port, but at the time very impressive
-Sam fox strip poker, yeah might leave this alone, but hours spent to see a pixelated nude.
-Mutant monty, hated this game initially due to I thought it was pretty lame graphics, but had a friend that played this all the time at my place, so it kind of grew on me, recently loaded it up, and sure I think for a basic platformer this is actually very well done - level wise
- Who dares wins, great little game. controls were a bit clumsy IIRC.

What's your favorites? I must be missing tonnes of them.

EDITx1: Please see This thread for Amstrad Games (Thanks ETO, below)

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/how-about-making-a-'worth-to-play'-collection-of-amstrad-games/
1xCPC6128, 1xTandy Model 4, 1xC64 (IN BOX)

eto

Just recently there was a very similar thread with many comments and suggestions:

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/how-about-making-a-'worth-to-play'-collection-of-amstrad-games/msg195160/#msg195160

Maybe check them out, great suggestions and if you have new ones, they can be added too.

Gryzor

Although tastes vary, of course, I find such discussions always interesting because they make you think about specific titles and what's good and what's not... For instance you, yourself say that Samantha Fox is not really that good but then proceed to enter it in a "best EVER" list?

Teenage Queen, btw :D

Shaun M. Neary

This is more a "most nostalgic games ever" list rather than a best of list.

Mutant Monty? Ghosts N Goblins? Sam Fox? Please, they all aged HORRIBLY!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

I agree, I just chose a particularly good/bad example :D

Gryzor

Now, Sorcery(+) and Bomb Jack are indeed probably among the best.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:26, 28 April 21
I agree, I just chose a particularly good/bad example :D

Was more referring to the original post, to be fair. 1942 gave me a good morning laugh.
Elite did some great Arcade conversions in that early run. Commando, Spare Harrier, Ikari Warriors, Bombjack... but 1942 is a sluggish unplayable mess that does not belong in that list in my honest opinion.

1943 was way better, until you realise you're replaying the same 3 screens again in a loop.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 08:28, 28 April 21until you realise you're replaying the same 3 screens again in a loop.

NO WAY
*shock horror*

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:32, 28 April 21
NO WAY
*shock horror*

The sarcasm-o-meter needle has just flown off, T!

roudoudou

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 08:19, 28 April 21
This is more a "most nostalgic games ever" list rather than a best of list.

Mutant Monty? Ghosts N Goblins? Sam Fox? Please, they all aged HORRIBLY!
it's best game, not "most technical game ever"
who dares wins is still a good game, even there is no technical achievement
saboteur 2 is for me one of the best CPC game, even it's a slow speccy port (some people speed up the game) => huge map, increasing difficulty of missions, ...
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: roudoudou on 08:39, 28 April 21
who dares wins is still a good game, even there is no technical achievement
saboteur 2 is for me one of the best CPC game, even it's a slow speccy port (some people speed up the game) => huge map, increasing difficulty of missions, ...

Nobody said technical game though?
At least WDW and Saboteur 1 and 2 are playable. A lot of what was listed in the original post was rushed, unplayable garbage!

Gryzor

Quote from: roudoudou on 08:39, 28 April 21

Absolutely, so let's not be too harsh, we didn't even welcome @Z|G !

Now if Sam Fox played some nice poker it could be considered a good game. Teenage Queen, IIRC, was so-and-so (the computer would fold if you bluffed for a series of hands, then the next hand would be unbeatable or something like that) but at least the gfx were cute :)

Gryzor

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 08:45, 28 April 21A lot of what was listed in the original post was rushed, unplayable garbage!

...and a good day to you, too kind Sir!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:47, 28 April 21
...and a good day to you, too kind Sir!

I did say 'a lot of'.
I'll credit Bombjack and Sorcery. BMX sim is a bit too middle of the road for me. It's a good game but I wouldn't say it's one of the best games.

Z|G

Tough crowd  :D
Yes, agreed perhaps the title was a little misleading. as rightly pointed out that "best" can mean most nostalgic best game.
I did do a search to see if there was a existing thread, but perhaps did too narrower search.
I never added sam fox to worst game list, I added it as a nod to all the teen age lads that must have played this to only end up with a pixelated nude. as a *joke*.  I don't think the game play is that bad, other than it does fold quickly if you have any pair.
What about Boulder Dash, I think this also could be in my "Best/Most favorite Nostalgic list", I enjoyed playing this, it kept my attention and I kept playing which im my opinion is at least a sign of a decent game.
I'll check the existing thread, for a look see at what others think are noteable games.cheers all, happy to be here.
1xCPC6128, 1xTandy Model 4, 1xC64 (IN BOX)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Z|G on 09:07, 28 April 21
What about Boulder Dash, I think this also could be in my "Best/Most favorite Nostalgic list", I enjoyed playing this, it kept my attention and I kept playing which im my opinion is at least a sign of a decent game.
I'll check the existing thread, for a look see at what others think are noteable games.cheers all, happy to be here.

Hah don't take what I say too much to heart (ask anyone here, they sure as hell don't ;) ), I just love my games. :)

Boulder Dash is an out and out classic. It's still a lot of fun to play in 2021 despite being rolled out in 1984 and it's a classic example of a Speccy port done right (the code is the exact same from the Spectrum, only they colourised it, but the game plays exactly the same).

It does get very tough after the fourth screen though!

banana

Savage, Xyphoes Fantasy, Get Dexter, Total Eclipse, Chase HQ, Prince of Persia just to name a few.

Gryzor

Savage... Ehh. Prince of Persia and Chase HQ, definitely.

Total Eclipse yes, once upon a time, but has it aged well?

banana

I still play them and really like them. How is it supposed to age well, it's not a wine. It's the same as it was in the 80s ;)

flag26838

How about a PLUS sub-folder?

AxelStone

Some games that for me are still funny to play: Antiriad, Gryzor, Cybernoid 2, Robocop...