News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best Flight Sim recommendations on the CPC?

Started by Puresox, 21:46, 03 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Puresox

I'm always looking for knew game genre's  to keep my interest in the Amstrad fresh. Never really been a fan of flight sims particularly. But as I am finding I have pretty much checked out most games on the system .Find I want to appreciate the games that weren't my thing . Flight Sims catch my interest at the moment and been playing Digital Intergrations 'Fighter Pilot' a game I sort of know from having the Beau Jolly pack. I actually managed to land the thing earlier, so was pretty stoked ,the game seems to play pretty well and seems a reasonable Sim. However I am sure there are some better ones kicking about , are their any recommendations by anyone who was keen on them . Or is it a genre that no one is fussed about  on here?

dcdrac

Activision Fighter Bomber
ATF Digital Integration
Chucker Yeagers

Puresox

Quote from: dcdrac on 21:58, 03 April 16
Activision Fighter Bomber
ATF Digital Integration
Chucker Yeagers
ATF is good little Arcade style flight sim quick to get into and easy to learn, but hard to master. Chuck yeagers looks pretty technical . And Fighter Bomber very sharp although I get some of them mixed up , there are so pretty tasty looking games in the sim department , very polished in their presentation.

andycadley

F16 Combat Pilot - by far and away the best flight sim I ever played on an 8-bit

||C|-|E||

Quote from: andycadley on 22:32, 03 April 16
F16 Combat Pilot - by far and away the best flight sim I ever played on an 8-bit

I actually had lots of fun with it when I was a kid, although landing was never my strong point  :picard2:

Puresox

F16 Combat and Fighter Bomber both look awesome. You guy's reckon F16 has got the edge on Fighter Bomber? Trying to remember which one had the Pentagon on the Main Menu, looked very smart. But Gameplay is the key and the options/variety.

TFM

Gunship, nothing beats Gunship. (Anybody having the German version. I offer 20 Euros for the DSK).

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dcdrac

oh yes Gunship and F16 were amazing

Bryce

ATF for speed. Tomahawk for accuracy and relatively good speed.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Flight sims were never my thing either. But I spent many happy hours playing Night Raider.

http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=1517
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Puresox

Quote from: Bryce on 21:23, 04 April 16
ATF for speed. Tomahawk for accuracy and relatively good speed.

Bryce.
Tomahawk or Gunship? Fight who'd win

Puresox

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:24, 04 April 16
Flight sims were never my thing either. But I spent many happy hours playing Night Raider.

night raider &copy gremlin graphics software (1988)
I fancy a go at this one, is the one where you have to manage a number of screens? And takes some getting to grips with procedures or am I thinking of Dambusters?

Thanks for the decent suggestions btw

Bryce

Quote from: Puresox on 23:32, 04 April 16
Tomahawk or Gunship? Fight who'd win

Ah, do you remeber the fights/discussions back then on which was better? I was always on the Tomahawk side, although it needed that very annoying Lenslok.

Bryce.

TFM

The biggest problem of Tomahawk is that it has BLOCKS(!!!) instead of lines to show the cockpit, they should have just left them away. As you see I like Gunship more, especially since I made a bag of medals with it. The stuff around the simulator could have been a bit more (they had a bit more in c64). Well, maybe it's time to blow up one of them to 128 KB.  :P :P :P 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

Was the C64 version vastly superior?
CPC Power  seems to rate Tomahawk as the better game.

TFM

Quote from: Puresox on 18:33, 05 April 16
Was the C64 version vastly superior?

IMHO the simulation itself is worse. But the eye candy around it (f.e. rotation of helicopter in pic while loading weapons etc.) was better.
TFM of FutureSoft

roudoudou

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Puresox

Tomahawk seems quite easy to get into , managed to pick up and play without the instructions and take out a few enemies, still need to get to grips with controlling the copter , managing to park the thing gave me some issues . Now want to check out how Gunship plays

Targhan

Fighter Bomber! The best (ok, I didn't play all of them) :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Bryce

Quote from: roudoudou on 21:41, 05 April 16
i have a blured memory of fighter pilot
fighter pilot &copy digital integration (1985)

I used to play that quite a bit. Was ok for a bit of a shoot-up, but landing the plane was close to impossible.

Bryce.

trabitboy

Good god Fighter bomber looks like Falcon on the amstrad !!!!!   8)

MacDeath

gunship really was a favourite of mine too...

else I wasn't a lot into Flight/dogfight simulators until I got my AT286PC in EGA graphics... (LHX attack Chopper and FighterBomber were great at 12mhz)

FighterBomber seems to be quite impressive for a 8bit machine but really, have to recognize the framerate is not quite... well...

Elite is quite a classic, not quite flight simulator but hey...
Starglider as well wasn't really a flight simulator but nice FPS feeling.
F16 Combat Pilot looks good but I don't know how it plays.

Puresox

Out of Gunship and Tomahawk , I'd rate Tomahawk easier to get to grips with , but Gunship is equally decent just got to get my head around the key layouts , Wish my Monitor worked so I could use my real machine and put the key overlays on

||C|-|E||

I must admit that I would have enjoyed a lot those filled polygons and views from outside the plane in Fighter Bomber back in the day. One thing I did not like in F16 Combat Pilot is that it uses not filled graphics and I could not see more than the cockpit of the plane. Eventually I managed to get a copy of Fighter Bomber but it did not load well...  :picard:

remax

Flight Path 737 just for the unforgettable music

gosh how it was hard!
Brain Radioactivity