News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Burnin' Rubber review from RETRO GAMING POWER

Started by ComSoft6128, Yesterday at 17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Gryzor

Hehe I chuckled. Quite accurate.

dthrone

Yes, a few LOLs in there ;D   Doesn't look updated any more :-[

Anthony Flack

Yeah, that's fair. It's a good game that doesn't show the console off particularly well, with its small screen and low framerate. But it's still probably one of the best 8 bit racing games, actually one of my favourites, and has some proper depth. But it's a bit of a sleeper because it's quite technical and you have to memorise the course before you can even hope to get anywhere. I like how they took the trouble to have the course "make sense" spatially; every time the track crosses over itself there's a tunnel.

The qualifying round is a bit pointless but it's still fun to see how well you can do - I've never got better than third. Also I do tend to get around to the third lap and then flip my car.

And there's no way to quit or restart a game. You have to let the clock run down. It's faster to just switch the console off and on again, and then you have to change the stupid controls again. Whoever set up the default controls, I don't know what they were thinking.

Anthony Flack

Also, the opponent cars that crash into each other and then become lethal roadblocks are brutal, but they are an improvement over the opponent cars in WEC Le Mans, who basically crash into each other whenever there is more than one of them on the track.

Also speaking of which, Burnin' Rubber has as many as nine cars on screen at one time which is pretty impressive.

The audio is not attractive, but it is helpful when slipstreaming.