News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best manuals

Started by SharkusMaximus, 21:35, 08 December 19

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkusMaximus

I'm looking to start my collection of CPC games but I'm interested in picking up ones where the manual is as collectible as the game itself. I'm thinking of things like Driller, Starglider, Heroes of the Lance or Get Dexter, which variously include novellas, maps, play guides or comic books, with the extras being a vital part of the experience.

Anyone got any more suggestions?

Nich

Quote from: SharkusMaximus on 21:35, 08 December 19
I'm looking to start my collection of CPC games but I'm interested in picking up ones where the manual is as collectible as the game itself. I'm thinking of things like Driller, Starglider, Heroes of the Lance or Get Dexter, which variously include novellas, maps, play guides or comic books, with the extras being a vital part of the experience.

Anyone got any more suggestions?

The Sacred Armour of Antiriad includes a comic.

Some later Level 9 adventures like Knight Orc, Gnome Ranger and Lancelot came with manuals/novellas that also served as copy protection (enter a word at a specific position in the manual to continue playing).

P-47 Thunderbolt has a gorgeous double-sided poster that also includes the instructions on one side.

Gryzor

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy had some nice feelies (including a microscopic space fleet 😄). Got a complete (I think) copy and it's lovely.

ervin

Elite's packaging and extras were brilliant, particularly the novella which really set the scene.
When I bought Elite back in the day, my box didn't include everything, so I took it back to the computer store.
They promptly replaced it with a box that contained everything it was supposed to.
Those were the days...

Gryzor

Ah yes indeed, Elite was the other one I wanted to mention. My box even has a letter from the publisher (who was it?) in it...

Dubliner

Starglider has also a book with a short story if my memory doesn't fail.
Not exactly "manual" related, but if you are looking for an impresive edition full of extras to enhance the experience of the game, you should have a look at Murder on the Atlantic.

Nich

Quote from: Dubliner on 20:53, 09 December 19
Not exactly "manual" related, but if you are looking for an impresive edition full of extras to enhance the experience of the game, you should have a look at Murder on the Atlantic.

Or indeed the other games in Cobra Soft's 'Meurtres' range:
Good luck trying to find a complete package, though - and if you manage to find one, you're going to have to pay a lot of money for it! ::)

SharkusMaximus

Nice answers, everyone. Thanks for pointing out some new ideas. Gives me something else to look out for!

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

SharkusMaximus

It's looking like Starglider is a definite purchase. I already had my eyes on it but now I have official confirmation from you guys, it's a go!

awergh

Cholo includes novella and a text sheet that sets the scene for the game.
I've got to sit down and play it sometime.