News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Boulder Dash 2 Rockford's Revenge

Started by pmeier, 09:22, 05 October 21

Previous topic - Next topic

pmeier

I'm proud to announce that I have ported Boulder Dash 2 Rockford's Revenge to the CPC  8)

I took the BD4 (construction kit) engine and converted all the original levels.To achieve this: I exported the BDCFF levels into CrLi format with GDash. Then wrote a Java converter to generate caves for BD4.

I also imported the C64 title screen and the music, which doesn't sound good, but this is already a problem of the original music..., but you can blame it on my conversion.  :P

The 20 levels didn't fit into the BD4 .gam format, so you have to choose part 1 or 2 before loading. (My converter creates .cav files I had to merge with the construction kit, because I didn't understand the .gam format. If you know more, let me know...)

The zip contains my assembler sources, .dsk and .cpr.

The disk itself contains also the construction kit and all the editable caves, so you can play around with them.

PS: There are some hacks around labeled as "Boulder Dash 2", but they have nothing to do with the official title, so don't get confused.

XeNoMoRPH

thanks for the contribution, i will have to try it.
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Gryzor

I miss the Like button already.

Shaun M. Neary

Very well done sir! I'm looking forward to trying this out. :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

abalore

eto

Awesome!

And honestly I have heard worse music on the CPC ;-)

pmeier

Thanks. Hey, these likes are better than the like button  :)

pmeier

I still wondered how the BD2 levels would feel like in the BD1 engine... so I started another conversion project...
Only 3 of the 20 BD2 levels make use of the new items growing wall and slime, but hey, that wouldn't be perfect omitting 3 levels... so, I enhanced the BD1 engine to support the new items.

This time I also replaced the in-game music. (This time it's not sampled, it uses the same notes as the C64 version.)
And then I also added the BD4 levels, which don't use new items. Although BD4 introduced voodoo Rockford and hidden exit to use them in its editor. And again, I also added these items to BD1. 8)  I added a test cave so you can check them out...

As I already used the name "Rockford's Revenge" I had to use another title: "Boulder Dash 2 Blast From The Past"

ACKs go to:
Honz Liepa for BD C64 sources
BDCK/Happy Computer
LZ48

Release Notes
-------------
- Converted all caves from official BD2
- New cave format (LZ48 compressed)
- Added the new elements from BD2: growing wall and slime
- Added the new elements from BD4: voodoo Rockford and hidden exit
- Updated in-game music (from C64 source)
- Updated logo
- Imported title screen from C64
- Demo moves (from C64 source)
- Bonus: all caves from BD1, BD3 and BD4
         sample cave 'dev' with the 4 new elements
         demo moves for BD3, BD4 and dev

Jean-Marie

It definitely looks much better with the BD1 engine, and its original "push-scrolling". Congrats!
Nice palette too. Did you base your choice of colors on the Atari version?
Now I can hope to see a port of the Arno levels on the CPC :)

pmeier

Quote from: Jean-Marie on 13:35, 15 December 22Nice palette too. Did you base your choice of colors on the Atari version?
Thanks. Well, I optimized the caves with GDash and then exported .CrLi files (Crazy Light Engine). These have three C64 colors:

color 1: dirt
color 2: steel wall
color 3: brick wall

On the CPC color 3 is the amoeba / dirt shadow. So I decided to simply use color1+1 as color3. (Ignoring the C64 color3 completely.) Maybe there is a better solution...

abalore

Just curious, revenge against what? :D

OneVision

Congratulations for completing this port !

Token

pmeier

Quote from: Token on 15:39, 15 December 22Memory full in 830 :-[
Oh no! Which emulator do you use? 464/664/6128? WinApe 464/6128 work fine. Test on my real 464 is pending...

Token

WinAPE b2. It works like a charm on a CPC 6128 or RVM emulator.

roudoudou

winape => possibly parados ROM?

please test your releases on a real CPC ;D
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

abalore

Do you have any expansion ROM connected? They take some RAM

Token

Quote from: abalore on 20:01, 15 December 22
Do you have any expansion ROM connected? They take some RAM
This. Everything is ok now.

Animalgril987

pmeier

New version!

Only some tiny issues fixed, but I'm proud to announce that my enhanced BD engine now has teleporters 8)
Inspired by GDash, but my teleporter also teleports boulders/diamonds/fireflies and butterflies.
It was great fun to throw boulders into it, so that they fall in the teleporter again and again...

You have to check out the DEV levels B and C!

Release Notes 1.1
-----------------
- Scroll viewport fixed (scrolling starts now earlier)
- Butterflies are now animated
- Growing wall delayed
- Bonus: teleporter

New tile IDs:
#06 = hidden outbox open  (BD4)
#2a = expanding wall      (BD2)
#3c = voodoo Rockford    (BD4)
#3d = hidden outbox      (BD4)
#3e = slime              (BD2)
#3f = teleporter  (new)

ACKs go to:
GDash (teleporter icon)
Honz Liepa for BD C64 sources
BDCK/Happy Computer
LZ48
Fast RND

Squeekboxandj

Brilliant, can't wait to give this a drive. Many thanks
CPC464 & 6128

pmeier

New version!

Contains the bugs I fixed for Arno Dash. Now you can use fire2 to look around the cave.
I also re-converted all levels: Some butterflies now move correctly. (BD2-H)
You can run run down slime without getting killed (BD2-M)

Added new dev level to show the difference between vanilla screen wrap (with line shift) and new screep wrap (w/o line shift).
See this screenshot, this could be self-explaining... Note: With fire2 you can focus on the player if he moves off-screen. (Without that it makes now sense to use vanilla screen wrap.)

Focusing the player with fire2 is a feature that a really missed in BD1, because you can just see a few tiles more which can be very valuable...

pmeier

My cave converter is now ready for release...

You can convert caves for BD1/BD2/BD4. It requires Java 17.

It also contains the various file format specs. Have fun!