News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Bubble Bobble remake? (BB4CPC)

Started by Xyphoe, 06:54, 05 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

cngsoft

Hey, I'm very glad to see that you liked my little present :-) I have to announce that I just published a new version on http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/cng_bb4cpc.htm with two bugfixes, one about the water bubbles that could freeze the game (thanks to TFM/FS for running into the pathological case that could trigger it) and another one about Skel Monsta (thanks to Mr.Lou for making a comment that led me to finding it) that was making the game too easy. Thank you very much for your interest!
(if you can't see the banner right now my server is currently offline)

cngsoft

Cripes, if there's a single post I must reply, it's this one:
Quote from: Puresox on 18:16, 27 December 11
How do I get this game to work? Does it work on emulators?
It's easy, just RTM. Of course it works.

Puresox

Quote from: cngsoft on 21:25, 27 December 11
Cripes, if there's a single post I must reply, it's this one:It's easy, just RTM. Of course it works.

Sorry this means nothing to me... RTM?

robcfg

Puresox

and where is the manual to read?

TFM

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 13:25, 27 December 11
Are you sure you didn't accidentally press the [P] key? I just did it now and it's PAUSE, but the music continues playing! Press [P] again to continue.

No, and I had no alcohol. There's a bug. It did appear in the second game I played, not the first.

Anyway a wonderful game, and a great job!!!

BTW: Thanks for the pokes Bad Santa  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: Puresox on 22:35, 27 December 11
and where is the manual to read?

Right here:
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/cng_bb4cpc.htm

Just scroll down. Clock on first picture to download the game.

I got no idea about RTM too, but RTFM woul mean something to me ;D [nb]RTFM = Remote answer from TFM[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Nich

Quote from: cngsoft on 21:25, 27 December 11
Cripes, if there's a single post I must reply, it's this one:It's easy, just RTM. Of course it works.

César, I wonder if Puresox is referring to the fact that the download is saved as a 7Z archive file rather than a ZIP file? Most CPC emulators support the ZIP format directly, but I don't know of any that support 7Z files directly. It seems an unusual choice to provide the game in 7Z format.

Puresox

Thank you Bud, you have conveyed what I mean!^^^^^

Devilmarkus

Humm but isn't 7zip format already recognized by all zip apps?

Spoiler: ShowHide
Play BB4CPC online:

To poke around: "Print Screen" key
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Nich

I have been playtesting BB4CPC for César over the last few weeks, and I have been really impressed with it. I've never played the coin-op version, but BB4CPC is *so* much better than Firebird's version of the game! :D I'm also quite impressed that it runs on 64K machines. ¡Enhorabuena, César!

Devilmarkus

Indeed, the result is VERY amazing!
I'm really impressed.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

khisanth

remax

Wonderful!

I'd have liked to have it with so much quality back in the day
Brain Radioactivity

Shredder11

Quote from: Gryzor on 00:54, 27 December 11
Oh man, did I have to see this just as I was going to bed??! Argh!!!

Me too!  Might take it with me tomorrow to show my nephew, as I suggested a retro gaming session for the first time.
Amstrad CPC6128, 3.5" Ext' Floppy, SD HxC Floppy Emulator

Metr

Super Bubble Bobble mode activated !  :) 

cngsoft

Looks like Metr already discovered the Super Mode code! Congratulations! Now let's wait for someone to find the other secret code as well...

Meanwhile, while I'm very happy with the positive reaction from everyone, I probably should explain something about the music of BB4CPC. Unlike what some folks seem to believe, Hervé "Tom & Jerry" Monchatre did not write the game's main theme: that one had already been written by me when the non-playable demo was leaked two years ago.

Because I had needed one million hours until I got the song's score right (I'm no musician, I just know the mathematics of sound), I thought that a demoscene musician would greatly simplify the job, and might also result in a better usage of the CPC's sound hardware. That's how, thanks to mutual friends, I met Tom & Jerry one year ago and he generously accepted to help.

The problem was that the four tracks and five jingles he wrote couldn't be inserted into the game as they were, for two reasons. He wrote them with Starkos, but BB4CPC uses its own custom music player, made to be lightweight at the cost of having limited functions; he also relied heavily on custom instruments that, obviously, couldn't make the jump. Was I going to scrap his tracks then?

Of course not! Instead, I manually translated the scores from Starkos to BB4CPC, replacing the instruments with envelopes, vibratos and arpeggios, and correcting a couple of off-key notes in the process. His scores were immensely useful nonetheless; thanks to them, a couple of days of work were enough to complete BB4CPC's jukebox, in comparison to the many weeks I had spent on the main theme alone.

So now you know the twisted story behind his credit as "Musical support" rather than "Music" or "Soundtrack". Things are never easy when formats clash!

Puresox

Thank goodness it is available on CPC- Power now, rather than that other awkward setup.

mahlemiut

I found the Power Up! code yesterday.  But is there no equivalent of the arcade Original Game code?
- Barry Rodewald

cngsoft

Quote from: mahlemiut on 21:32, 28 December 11I found the Power Up! code yesterday. But is there no equivalent of the arcade Original Game code?
It doesn't exist, Power-Up and autofire already make things too easy. The game was supposed to be hard you know :-P

Oh well, since it looks like BB4CPC holds no secrets two days after its release ("Orion Prime" was lucky to last longer than this), what would you say if I made a third version with a custom Ultra Mode, even harder and more demanding than Super Mode... and that generated a custom code to be sent to an online chart of best players? It's technically feasible!

(also, new icon, because of a certain thread in this same forum)

Metr

That sounds so great! :)

This is probably the best remake I've seen (and I think that remake should be removed to put something like "the proper BB version the Amstrad was missing!")

MacDeath

Quoteand I think that remake should be removed to put something like "the proper BB version the Amstrad was missing!"
like every modern proper remakes on the Amstrads... ;)

old preview.

BB4CPC: 11/04/2011 preview

When will the proper longplay be released ? or a test ?

Quote(also, new icon, because of a certain thread in this same forum)
but Applebloom is just an underaged filly... why not Fluttershy or Rarity instead ?    ;)

Anyway, will you get it into a 128K RAM version too ?

TFM

Quote from: Metr on 02:30, 28 December 11
Super Bubble Bobble mode activated !  :) 

May you can tell me what's different on this picture and and what's that special mode you are talking about ???
TFM of FutureSoft

Metr

Well basically:

After completing the game you get hints to find some codes. With one of them you can activate a Super Bubble Bobble Mode (You know you activated it thanks to the Star icon). On this mode the game is different and you have access to other stuff :D
With the other one you can activate the Power Up mode (the candy icon), where you can play always with the Shoe+2 candies powers even if you die. You can use this Power Up mode with both Normal and Super Modes.

When will the proper longplay be released ?

Waiting for the signal, the longplay is ready to go but maybe is a little soon!

TFM

Thanks Metr! Now I got it. :) :) :)  One Star more or less, that's below my recognition threshold  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft