News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Mighty Castle Adventure [Was: Castlevania style game - demo]

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 21:02, 25 January 23

Previous topic - Next topic

khisanth

Gryzor

Oh no how will the magazines feature it on their cover. Wasn't Stormlord bad enough? 

khisanth

I do wonder what goes through some programmers/artists minds when they put things like this in. 

jesusdelmas

Quote from: khisanth on 18:23, 23 February 23I do wonder what goes through some programmers/artists minds when they put things like this in.
Naked woman i think 

vragec111

Zlandicae

Quote from: yogtze on 13:29, 21 February 23Still need mode 1 graphist and soundchip musician.

I applyed a few days ago as a musician via your mail but, no response :p...
In case, you can hear some of my Goldorak (Grendizer) compo (And working actually on a cover of Hank Zimmer Interstellar theme) on the French Facebook group "Amstrad CPC pour toujours & beyond" (Using the pseudo "Gilles Meriadoc").

yogtze

Quote from: Zlandicae on 19:37, 24 February 23
Quote from: yogtze on 13:29, 21 February 23Still need mode 1 graphist and soundchip musician.

I applyed a few days ago as a musician via your mail but, no response :p...
In case, you can hear some of my Goldorak (Grendizer) compo (And working actually on a cover of Hank Zimmer Interstellar theme) on the French Facebook group "Amstrad CPC pour toujours & beyond" (Using the pseudo "Gilles Meriadoc").
Please check your <spam> folder ;)

MacDeath

So you want to do some sort of Midnight Castle Succubus game (or Succubus the 6 Spells... THAT SORT OF STUFF)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaZkuslbq1U

yogtze

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:53, 24 February 23So you want to do some sort of Midnight Castle Succubus game (or Succubus the 6 Spells... THAT SORT OF STUFF)
Maybe not so explicit  :laugh:

MacDeath

BTW I'm not so fan of having a "monocolour" palette... great to look like a gameboy game, but lacks somes clarity IMO... I mean Mode1 enables for great dithering effects.

TotO

I was waiting a contrasted mockup from you. ;D
Nice to have "fixed" the floor perspective.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MacDeath

yeah, something was itching... I was thinking about some Succubus game for CPC for quite some times ;D

(Midnight Castle Succubus, succubus the 6 spells, Tower/Sword of Succubus...

Need to do some proper candle lightings as well, put a bit more "perspective" and some windows lights too...

Converted a few Succubus sprites too...

TotO

Interresting frames to improve the colour depth. But, I think it has to keep the same intensity per plane.
Using the pure pink for objects/sprites to contrast with background and foreground. (a fast preview here)

May be the columns not have to totally reach the bottom of the floor, to increase the perspective.
Now, I think people may prefer the standard monochromic visual of the original picture. (orange)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

roudoudou

the boobs are clearly better, i approve that
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

vragec111

It's so impressive to see the work of you guys artists, it's like wizardry!! With a couple of touches you change the whole thing and give it a perspective!
Mode 1 has never looked better 🤗

TotO

I was not able to edit my post, so here with the @MacDeath sprite to show the depth of field.

rexbeng

I approve the blue nipples!

roudoudou

Quote from: TotO on 10:22, 26 February 23I was not able to edit my post, so here with the @MacDeath sprite to show the depth of field.
gorgeous 8)
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

MacDeath

If you want to see how Mode1 can be properly used, you should all check MS-Dos games in CGA from the late period, 1988-1990... from spanish devs, like dinamic or Topo soft... perhaps french games too.
It's amazing how they could sometimes use CGA so well. On the other hand they would very often actually mess the palette too...
To be fair, the PCs were often true 16 bit machines at8mhz with lots of RAM so they could do stuff a CPC may not do that well.

(sinon toto, tu a laissé un pixel rose sur la fenêtre de gauche, sans doute un truc caché, et faut mettre une légère ombre sous les pieds du sprite, qui vient d'un jeux sans perspective...)
My mockup was just a quick test anyway just to show some possible variations here and there.

TotO

MacDeath

concerning palettes, this is a huge thing to think about...

You can go for some straight colour ramp, such as Black - Dark - Medium - Pastel/white.

What I call "monocolour", still always better to put some slight colour shift... I mean you wouldnt use Black-darkRed-Red-Pink but Black-Darkred-Orange-pastelYellow so it flips from red to yellow as it lightens...

Else you can separate the 2 main colours so you have less deepness in the gradiants but can colour things differently... in this case I like to use White as brightest colour as it goes with everyrhing and llows for some neutral greys, if the 2 main colours are opposite it gives a proper grey too...

Else you can go full rexbeng and go for Black + 3 equally opposed main colours that allow for...stuff.
Never go full Rexbeng, unless you're Rexbeng.  ;D
(But we know rexbeng went full-*rexbeng a long time ago and is unredeemable)

But be sure that Mode1 is always missing at least one needed extra ink...  :laugh: 
If only some colour attributes existed on CPC.  ::)

Oh and BTW you would need to often change palette from screen to screen in order to keep the game visually interesting, just like Head over Heels did...
Some palettes are good for sewer, other for forest,, other for night or sunny desert and so on...
And you can put some lightning storm effect (flipping pastel to white...)
Got to be dynamic on that.

Simplified sprites (see the one I posted) allow for every sort of palette, provided you keep a black and a pseudo white.

vragec111

Amazing what four inks & dithering can do in capable hands  :o

MacDeath

It feels a bit like Prince of Persia this way...

Anyway, not sure about the limits on the possible quantitits of tiles or multiloading possibilitits or game engine limitations. Plus a tileset needs some serious thinking to optimize it and be sure they all stack together.

So I won't overwork on those mockups for the moment.

lmimmfn

Keep the background boobs though 😀

One thing I hated in MODE 1 games on the CPC is new room, completely different palette, would be much nicer to have a transition between palettes than your character being completely different colours, I know there's not much choice on CPC but should be possible.
6128 for the win!!!

MacDeath

No need to change the palette for each screen, but but can be done for different levels...

The eyes get used to the fact there are few colours on screen and if the palette is well chosen, you always see what is on screen.

Plus there is no colour clashes on CPC if it's well coded, so it's not like ZX spectrum where the sprite would get into the background colour or playfield with only 2 colours (see speccy ports).