News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Mighty Castle Adventure [Was: Castlevania style game - demo]

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 21:02, 25 January 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Flack

I like to choose two colours of roughly equal luminance that contrast with one another. Colours from opposite sides of the colour wheel that look grey-ish when dithered together provide lots of possibilities. I also favour tertiary colours, which combine i more interesting ways than the primaries. Colours that clash can dither cleanly into surprising new shades.

From an artistic perspective, five colours would be much easier to balance, but that's not how computers work of course.

You can get quite a lot of extra variation with subtle changes to the palette if you don't want your character to suddenly change from pink to green or whatever. But if pink becomes orange, light blue becomes slightly purple, little things like that can be less jarring on your character sprite and still give you notably different dither shades.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

That's a good system, you can fix two colours (black and white here), and have a cold and warm colour from the tertiaries, and they can be changed screen to screen fairly safely to add subtle variance. You can also occasionally change the white to pastel cyan (icy room, two colder tertiaries) and pastel yellow (lit by candles/fire, two warm tertiaries) and perhaps pastel green (foresty glade area) occasionally, with appropriate tertiaries. 

Great mockups in this thread btw.

rexbeng

Quote from: MacDeath on 13:39, 26 February 23Never go full Rexbeng, unless you're Rexbeng.  ;D
No, you haven't experienced 'full rexbeng' yet. :P

The question of 'mode 1' is an interesting one when about the CPC. Far more difficult to handle than CGA, just because the CGA 4 colours palettes are fixed whereas on the CPC you have more choices. One of the safer ways to go is to have the 'colorless' black/gray/white combo as the main 'concrete' set of colours for your picture and reserve the remaining one to give emphasis wherever you need it. This produces results that are easy for the viewer to understand and has the additional benefit that the reserved colour can be manipulated with rasters to produce additional colours. I did extensive use of that for the Megablasters Anniversary story part and also for the Relentless intro pic.

Anthony Flack

Some vertical colour splits being used in both, right? 

rexbeng

Quote from: Anthony Flack on 20:48, 27 February 23Some vertical colour splits being used in both, right?
Yep!

MacDeath

seems the topic derailed into Mode1 graphics in general...  :laugh:

Yeah the fixed CGA palettes was something they worked around, while on CPC we have more options yet more problems.

Having straight colour ramps gives a smooth 4 tones monocolour thing.

having B&W&grey + something gives a smooth black and white + one extra colour so actually bi-colour.
Having B&W + 2 opposite colours gives a tri-colour scheme as you can get a neutral grey from the dithering of the 2 colours (need extra care to dither the grey, the vertical dithers works well)

else using black + 3 "vivid" colours enables sismpler gradiants (see what they did on ZXspctrum) but also 3 extra colours.

I would be interested in having the current tileset of the game and the specs of the engine (limitations in sizes, numbers, RAM management) to check whether I can do a few level's tiles...
coder may PM me if he want.

TotO

There's no problem changing the palette from one area or level to another if the colors help suggest the lighting of the environment you're walking through. The good point is the game interface can keep the same palette to display scores, lives, ...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

When I have seen the Youtube video, I have first though about @MacDeath.

The combo screen mode + pixel/colour technic + the theme that he master. I really hope the project will be done with him. If it will come true, just one thing: Do not overload too much the game screens tiles to keep it readable. ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

yogtze

wow you were so creative guys  ;D
Thx to you, @TotO and @MacDeath , gonna try work with this palette this way.

Zlandicae

@yogtze :
I sent you by email a YouTube link of a first draft of music for your game. So it's just a test clearly not finished but just here to see if you like it and if I continue on this path ;).
From now on, I am waiting for your answer ;).

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Prodatron

Great, that's a lot of progress, really like this!

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TotO

@yogtze Nice work in progress!

kawickboy

Nice mode 1 usage indeed.

Apollo

Looks gorgeous!  :o If you may need some coder help, especially optimizing (which I love), you can PM me.
CPC - My beloved first computer!

XeNoMoRPH

Gryzor

Damn that's nice! (also, obligatory: b00bs!).

(where is the music from? Can't put my finger on it...)

andycadley

I believe it's a version of Bloody Tears from the Castlevania series.

Gryzor

Quote from: andycadley on 13:04, 06 August 23I believe it's a version of Bloody Tears from the Castlevania series.
Ah then I just have listened to a remix of it (as I've never played the games). Thanks! 

fano

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:09, 05 August 23Damn that's nice! (also, obligatory: b00bs!).

Castlevania 1 - Heart of fire 😉
(Sorry am a Castlevania fan too)
I hope he'll do original musics instead of using Castlevania's one.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:09, 05 August 23Damn that's nice! (also, obligatory: b00bs!).

Written on the video credit  8)
Amstradiens Facebook Group
AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

Gryzor

Quote from: CyrilAmstrad on 21:31, 06 August 23

Written on the video credit  8)
It's August, you want me to be paying attention? 😄

kawickboy

Quote from: fano on 21:29, 06 August 23

Castlevania 1 - Heart of fire 😉
(Sorry am a Castlevania fan too)
I hope he'll do original musics instead of using Castlevania's one.

Hearing some classic tunes ported on CPC is fun too. But our topgun chiptuners (Targhan, McKlain, T&J...) should write some nice ones.

XeNoMoRPH

Gryzor

Oh great, embeds stopped working, fucking Musk...