News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

remax

Quote from: Chinnery on 20:22, 08 May 18
I've got a wee question regarding the file sizes of these carts.
Essentially I am trying to play some of these on a real GX4000. I have boatloads of M27C1001 eproms that need using up and a hacked up GX4000 cart.  This works fine for all the "official" releases.
I know I need to modify the links in the cart to use a larger rom as in this collection, but am wondering why the size of some of these images is overly large?
This is not a criticism, it is a genuine question.
For example, I've converted Arkanoid from CPR to BIN, which is a 512k file size. However looking at the actual data, it shows that from 0x1288e, it appears to be just padding, with a few kb of character 0xe5 then the rest is 0xff.
In this instance, would it be safe to trim the bin file to 128kb and write to a smaller eprom which works with my existing hacked cart?? Is there a checksum that will need need to recalculated? I suppose I could just "try and see"... I know the intention of these files is for a C4CPR gadget which this over-sizing isn't probably an issue.

And whilst I am here, I've noticed in the collection that "Blue Angel 69" and "Puzznic" aren't technically valid CPR files as they contain the following string in them at the end:
File downloaded from * * * C P C - P O W E R * * * 2015-05-02 12:20:38 * * *
I'm still working on my parser/converter so I may find a few other niggles.

I think it would be safe to trim, but confirmation from arnoldemu or other people would be better.

Ah yeah for the ugly and really annoying tagging from CPCPower... I didn't think it was also in CPR files ! If you encounter a cleaner CPR, i'll be happy to update.
Brain Radioactivity

remax

Brain Radioactivity

Phantomz

I've just updated " Striker in the Crypts of Trogan ", again with help from @Urusergi   8)

The game is now Joypad only!

You can now use UP or Joypad 1 Button 2 to Jump, like in the GX4000 version of Switch Blade.  ;)

Pause / unpause with console pause button.
Quit game with Joypad 2 Button 1.
You can Pass the High Score Table by pressing Joypad 1 button 2, however you can also now use cheat option's in the high score table, use Joypad 1 Button 2 to Enter, Joypad 1 Button 1 is Delete in case you make a mistake.
Press the console pause button for " P ".

P X 1 = Start back at level 1   
P X 2 = Start on level two          
P X 3 = Start on level three          
P X 4 = Start on level four         
P X 5 = Start on level five         
P X 6 = 30 Lives    
P X 7 = 100,000 points          
P X 8 = Difficulty (1=easy - 10=hard)          

I've entered "PPPPPPPP" into the highscore table, in the "Striker In The Crypts Of Trogan - Difficulty Select.cpr"
This version gives a Difficulty select option (1=easy - 10=hard) use joypad 1 up and down to select difficulty.
I maxed out PPPPPPPP" at 99999999 so that it doesn't get removed, I believe the difficulty select would get removed if it got replaced.  ::)

I've included a few poked versions ( that include the difficulty select option ) these give various options like Invulnerability, Infinite Lives, Infinite Energy, Infinite Weapon, and various combinations.  ;)
I believe you can still lose your weapon even with the cheat for some reason.  ???

If a cpr doesn't load in the c4cpc, the name might be to long and will need to be renamed.

GUNHED

CPR files are somehow 'dirty', that's due to their nature. One should have sticked with BINary files.  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

arnoldemu

Quote from: GUNHED on 09:55, 08 August 18
CPR files are somehow 'dirty', that's due to their nature. One should have sticked with BINary files.  ;)
at the beginning CPR was quite clean, but there was no strict verficiation so files deviated a little.Now I have to have lots of checks in arnold to handle bad ones.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: remax on 22:46, 05 August 18

I think it would be safe to trim, but confirmation from arnoldemu or other people would be better.
don't trim the ones made by nocart.
trimming the binary is fine as long as you know the size used and that it doesn't go past the size of your rom.
You can also trim the cpr and remove unused pages, but if you do try and make sure it maps to an actual ROM size.e.g. <=1 block for 16kb, <=2 for 32kb, <=4 for 64, <=8 for 128. etc.for example 9 blocks would actually be a 256KB rom with a lot wasted.

Quote from: remax on 22:46, 05 August 18
Ah yeah for the ugly and really annoying tagging from CPCPower... I didn't think it was also in CPR files ! If you encounter a cleaner CPR, i'll be happy to update.
I don't like the extra data on the end.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

GUNHED

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:39, 08 August 18
at the beginning CPR was quite clean, but there was no strict verficiation so files deviated a little.Now I have to have lots of checks in arnold to handle bad ones.

Quite a piece of work, but thanks for caring about it.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

dragon

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:33, 29 April 18
I had a look at this game sometime ago, the game is 64k but most cracks use 128k or are compressed if I remember correctly.
I believe the version by spanishhacker works in 64k, but I believe that the joystick doesn't work for player 2 if I remember correctly.

I know something stopped me working on it!

I think is bad dumped, xor not works at least.

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 10:57, 10 August 18
I think is bad dumped, xor not works at least.

@dragon

I thought as much, it would have been a good game to have available, but I don't think there is a good 64k crack.

Another couple of games that would have been nice to have are, an English version of " Prince of Persia " and also " Beach Volley ", but I can't find good cracks to wok with.

dragon

cpc power and cpcrulez are corrupted, but the emulinn version no :) .

The only difference of 128k is the select player screen(is autodetected).

I take a look the other two games.

Phantomz

@paradroid90  I've updated a game that you requested as I noticed a problem, @remax you may wish to update the page / pack with this version.

The game is " Magica v1.0.2 "  by @reidrac

I've made the game stop on the loading screen.

The problem with the old version is that when I changed the game to get pause to work, this also changed game text due to compression,
" GAME OVER " would show " GAME OVFR ".  :doh:

You can press fire to start straight away on the joystick option, UP or Button 2 is used to jump, you won't be able to use pause.

or push down once to select keyboard option, If you push down twice you can redefine the controls, you can redefine all the buttons on the joypad and also the console pause button, therefore it would be a good idea to use this option first then use keyboard to get the pause option to work.   ;)

Phantomz

I've been hard at work to bring you another game, this one is.....

" IMPOSSIBLE MISSION II ".  8)

It's taken awhile to get this game on the GX4000 as the only version I could find with no protection is the crack by " Section Jaguar ", but this doesn't appear to work with 64k.

The " Section Jaguar " appears to have a Trainer but only gives the option " TRAINER (Y/N) ".

I've managed to find a cracked copy that appears to be from the tape version as I can see " 000 " on the loading screen, I've converted this version to cpr.

The game didn't have a Trainer, so I've added one, unlike the version by " Section Jaguar ", I've added the following options, Infinite Lives, Infinite Time, Infinite Lives & Time, Infinite Lives & Time & Options.

I've also made two versions of the cpr, one uses Joypad 1 Button 2 to pause / unpause, the other uses P to pause / unpause, therefore you could play with a joystick if you wish.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:08, 27 August 18
I've been hard at work to bring you another game, this one is.....

" IMPOSSIBLE MISSION II ".  8)

It's taken awhile to get this game on the GX4000 as the only version I could find with no protection is the crack by " Section Jaguar ", but this doesn't appear to work with 64k.

The " Section Jaguar " appears to have a Trainer but only gives the option " TRAINER (Y/N) ".

I've managed to find a cracked copy that appears to be from the tape version as I can see " 000 " on the loading screen, I've converted this version to cpr.

The game didn't have a Trainer, so I've added one, unlike the version by " Section Jaguar ", I've added the following options, Infinite Lives, Infinite Time, Infinite Lives & Time, Infinite Lives & Time & Options.

I've also made two versions of the cpr, one uses Joypad 1 Button 2 to pause / unpause, the other uses P to pause / unpause, therefore you could play with a joystick if you wish.

I actually love this game, so just wanted to take the time to thank you for doing this, long may your great work continue [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantomz

I've done a new version of....

" IMPOSSIBLE MISSION 8)

The old version had a Trainer that would let you have " Infinite Lift Resets " and " Infinite Robot Halts ".

This new version also gives you an option of " Infinite Time ", I've stopped the clock and also made it so you don't get a 10 minute time penalty when you die.

You can also press either button on the Joypad to start game.

Gryzor

Phantomz

Here is another game, this one is.....

" LAZER TAG "

Any button to pass loading screen.

I can't change the game text.

The game is set to Joystick by default, however if you are using a plus computer you can Push Joypad UP to select Keyboard and Redefine the keys, you can Push Joypad DOWN to select Joystick, you can't redefine to the Joypads so avoid this option on the GX4000.

Press Joypad 1 Button 1 for 1 Player Game, Button 2 for 2 Player Game.

Pause / Unpause with Joypad 1 Button 2.

I've included a poked version with Infinite Lives.

Phantomz

Here is another game, this one is.....

" SIDE ARMS "

The game is now Joypad only.

Joypad 1 Button 2 to change weapon, console pause button to quit.

I've added a Trainer.

ukmarkh

Yes!!!! Love this game! Thx

NiNxPe

Thanks a lot for all these converted games...
But...
Is there a way to do more, in order to make a conversion "more GX4000" ?
Whan I say that, I think, first, about the 4096 colors.
i d'on't if somebody had ever easy patched game with the GX colors palette.
I remember to have reading something that a program to, first, unlock asic. and two, patched the colors.
But I don't know if it's the easiest way to do that.
I have to see (and make me too) lot of mockup with GX/Plus colors palette.
Is it too boring or hard to make this type of conversion ?

adolfo.pa

Quote from: NiNxPe on 13:25, 19 September 18
Is there a way to do more, in order to make a conversion "more GX4000" ?
Whan I say that, I think, first, about the 4096 colors.
There's a page with the list of converted games in the Wiki, and some of them have been improved to use the extended palette (and Hero Quest even uses hardware sprites). I guess the relatively low number of improved versions means it is a difficult task, sadly.

NiNxPe

dthrone

Quote from: NiNxPe on 19:20, 19 September 18
There is an early tutorial about to change in gx colors in  cpcrulez  :
https://cpcrulez.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5616

In most cases it can be done with a little bit of extra effort.  I think if there's a specific game you think would particularly benefit from it, put in a request here and I'm sure someone will have a go  ;)

NiNxPe

Quote from: dthrone on 21:29, 19 September 18

In most cases it can be done with a little bit of extra effort.  I think if there's a specific game you think would particularly benefit from it, put in a request here and I'm sure someone will have a go  ;)
OK, So, right now an immediately, I can provide an alternative palette that works to the following games :
Baby Jo, Beyond Ice Palace, Bloodwych, Builderland, DOTC, Double Dragon I&II, Dynamite Düx, Final Fight, Forgotten Worlds, Jim Power, Mercs, Moktar/Foxy, P47, Shinobi, Skweek, Strider 2, Super Cauldron, UN Squadron.
Who starts ?  :P 

ukmarkh

Quote from: NiNxPe on 22:21, 19 September 18
OK,So ,right now an immediately, I can provide an alternative palette that works to the following games :Baby Jo, Beyond Ice Palace, Bloodwych, Builderland, DOTC, Double Dragon I&II, Dynamite Düx, Final Fight, Forgotten Worlds, Jim Power, Mercs, Moktar/Foxy, P47, Shinobi, Skweek, Striedr 2, Super Cauldron, UN Squadron.
Who start ?  :P

Shinobi and Strider without question 🤪[emoji1303][emoji23]

dthrone

Quote from: NiNxPe on 22:21, 19 September 18
OK, So, right now an immediately, I can provide an alternative palette that works to the following games :
Baby Jo, Beyond Ice Palace, Bloodwych, Builderland, DOTC, Double Dragon I&II, Dynamite Düx, Final Fight, Forgotten Worlds, Jim Power, Mercs, Moktar/Foxy, P47, Shinobi, Skweek, Strider 2, Super Cauldron, UN Squadron.
Who starts ?  :P

Cooool, can we see any mock-ups?  :)   

I'm only talking existing converted .cpr files, @Phantomz, @dragon etc. are churning out the .cpr's, I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong guys!) they can do 128kb games (which some of yours above are) using the standard method.

I hadn't noticed the Heroquest one before - looks amazing, big improvement, thanks Dragon and urusergui[/size][size=78%]![/size]

Can Super Cauldron look better than it already does?  :o