News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Nightmares?

Started by merman, 17:37, 13 May 24

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

So, we've had ZX Nightmares penned by Graeme Mason and Commodore Nightmares written by me and successfully funded on Kickstarter...

Would people be interested in an Amstrad Nightmares?

Looking back at the worst CPC and Plus games out there.
From Loathsome Licences (film, TV and terrible arcade conversions), the games so difficult they required the Patience of a Saint, the strange ideas and bizarre mechanics that made you say They Did What?, and finally the Simply Awful.

And what games would you include?

Gryzor

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

dodogildo

Yeah but Amstrad nightmares would be double (or triple) the size of your previous book, considering the speccy conversions  :picard:
M'enfin!

Devlin

Quote from: merman on 17:37, 13 May 24So, we've had ZX Nightmares penned by Graeme Mason and Commodore Nightmares written by me and successfully funded on Kickstarter...

Would people be interested in an Amstrad Nightmares?

Looking back at the worst CPC and Plus games out there.
From Loathsome Licences (film, TV and terrible arcade conversions), the games so difficult they required the Patience of a Saint, the strange ideas and bizarre mechanics that made you say They Did What?, and finally the Simply Awful.

And what games would you include?
Yes, provided that lazy speccy ports were completely off the table, or in their own section - too much of an easy target, I feel.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Gryzor

Yes, but some, probably the most egregious and disappointing cases could/should be showcased.

merman

Good point on the Spectrum ports - it would be easy for them to dominate such a book.

For C64 Nightmares, I used the worst-rated games in ZZAP! plus some of the worst games generally.
Obviously Amtix and Amstrad Action ratings would play a part in deciding what makes the final list.

Anthony Flack

Count Duckula 2 is the obvious one, and Bridge-It, the game everybody loves to hate. But I have a more personal dislike for Amsoft's 3D Space Invaders. Or the "educational" Animal Vegetable Mineral, which really should have been an example type-in in the BASIC manual, instead masquerading as a full-priced game. What else? Beach Head II was particularly dire. Roland on the Run was also awful. 

dodogildo

Renegade III
Saint Dragon
Super Soccer
Super Gran
Marsport
aand... I quit
Because, thinking again, those games are so bad, it won't be fun to read them over a book at all. 

This book may not be a good idea at all  :picard:
M'enfin!

ervin

Atom Smasher.

It was the first game I bought back in the day.  :'(
The cassette inlay made it look like a cool asteroids type of game, but it certainly wasn't that!
Still my most hated game to this day.

eto

I would not focus too much on the early AMSOFT games, especially not those that came free with the CPC. Sure some of them were very bad, but they were also the first attempts of a developer on a new machine. Maybe a section that covers them in general, but please not (for the 100th time) a rant about Bridge'It. 

For lazy Speccy ports maybe one could focus on those that were not bad on the Speccy but then were awful on the CPC. 

My personal worst is Winter Sports. I wanted to get Winter Games but it wasn't available so I unfortunately chose Winter Sports as it seemed similar. But it isn't - it is an abysmal Speccy port. Slow, sluggish and incredibly boring. The worst 50DM I ever spent on a game. I am still angry at the developers/executives who were responsible for that crap. 

GUNHED

I'd be interested in the best Applications for CPC  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)