Author Topic: The XIII Emperor Gamebook - Updates (edited title)  (Read 1030 times)

Offline enteka

• CPC464
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: The XIII Emperor Gamebook - Updates (edited title)
« Reply #25 on: 13:56, 06 June 21 »
Just added the hypertext feature (no, it's not point and click with a mouse on a link, but inputting the number associated to the link), as it's done in Gopher and Gemini (I mean the protocols)

Offline enteka

• CPC464
« Reply #26 on: 18:38, 13 June 21 »
New update. Well, it's being a bumpy ride, mostly with the limitations that 64kb and AMSDOS imposes, namely two of them
1) It only allows for 64 or so files per disk2) The program practial limit of 30-40kb
Text is heavy, bytewise,so after consulting with the friendly people at the Programming sub-forum (fora?) this is what I have come up with
a) The gamebook will be released in parts. That has also the adventage of having feedback and knowning when to stop.
b) Texts that are to be displayed less often will be stored on files, while text that is most likely to be displayed will be hard coded on the program. While not being very systematic that helps with having the whole game in a single disk/tape and still keep the main program in small bits.c) The flags array is now a stringd) Comments, remarks and so on have been mostly taken to an auxiliary readme file

Offline enteka

• CPC464
I think I have it now
« Reply #27 on: 19:18, 19 June 21 »
Just tested a partial implementaion of the game and it's all working, well enough. Errors seem know to arise from  badly formated files and other data, the logic is not yet robust but it works
Main program file size is about 11K now, but 25% of the game is done and the new sections of the gamebook take less and less space (as most of the text is on seperate files)
Also, I'm probably not doing a version for tape as I cannot see how I could make that not to freaking slow

Offline Animalgril987

• Supporter
  • CPC6128
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #28 on: 11:32, 20 June 21 »
Looking forward to the finished article :D