News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantomz

Quote from: remax on 10:56, 23 May 15
I tested it yesterday in an empty folder with just the files i gave you, and it worked.

* You need to drag an drop ON THE BATCH file (not on the exe)
* Is your OS 64bits ? (if not i must give you an alternate version)
* If your .cpr have a too strange name, try to short it, and retry. (in these case, i call it a.cpr)

For quicktesting, a frontend is not worth it. For extended use of all the mess drivers, i recommand you the QMC2 frontend (i can help you to setup if you need it).

I'm using Windows 7 OS 64-bit, I tried to drag " North Star.cpr " on the batch file so it shows " Open with gx4000 " it look's like it tries to do something as I can see the old
black dos box (like you get when use the command prompt) but it's gone in a flash and nothing happens.

Like I said I've got it set up with a gui and it works, doesn't take long to test a game, I've got a shortcut on the desktop, then I just click on a bar at the top and mount the game I want to test.

It's quick enough, quicker than having to keep taking the sd card out of the C4CPC.  ;)

Devilmarkus

I tested MESS and I was very surprised, that it's CPC emulation is very 'basic'...
So I modified JavaGX4000 a bit:
- 64k ram only
- Drag & Droplistener added (drag & drop a CPR file into emulator display to run it)

If the emulator doesn't startup on double click:
Use a .bat file, content:
java -jar JavaGX4000.jar

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

remax

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:07, 23 May 15
I tested MESS and I was very surprised, that it's CPC emulation is very 'basic'...
So I modified JavaGX4000 a bit:
- 64k ram only
- Drag & Droplistener added (drag & drop a CPR file into emulator display to run it)

If the emulator doesn't startup on double click:
Use a .bat file, content:
java -jar JavaGX4000.jar

What would be better is to disable keyboard input, so that we are sure that every input recorded come from the joysticks ;)

Quote from: Phantomz on 12:31, 23 May 15
I'm using Windows 7 OS 64-bit, I tried to drag " North Star.cpr " on the batch file so it shows " Open with gx4000 " it look's like it tries to do something as I can see the old
black dos box (like you get when use the command prompt) but it's gone in a flash and nothing happens.

Like I said I've got it set up with a gui and it works, doesn't take long to test a game, I've got a shortcut on the desktop, then I just click on a bar at the top and mount the game I want to test.

It's quick enough, quicker than having to keep taking the sd card out of the C4CPC.  ;)

Well, if it's ok with you, i won't fight to know what's wrong ;)
Brain Radioactivity

Devilmarkus

Here you go:
Only keys working:
left, right, up, down -> joypad directions
ctrl, alt -> fire 1,2
esc -> pause

(Emulator internal: "F12" -> reset, other keys: check "F1")

remax

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:20, 23 May 15
Here you go:
Only keys working:
left, right, up, down -> joypad directions
ctrl, alt -> fire 1,2
esc -> pause

(Emulator internal: "F12" -> reset, other keys: check "F1")

Nearly there (i know i ask a lot :( ), would be perfect if there where controls for Joy2
Brain Radioactivity

Devilmarkus

Tell me to which CPC-keys is the 2nd joystick mapped?

dragon

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:23, 21 May 15
Yea, but I'm a bit busy to do any.  ::)

Commando
Paperboy
Battleships

If you could please  ;) :D

Where is my jam?

I not know where are remmaped the pad 2, buy if i remember correcty, you can see it redefine the keys in victory.

oh i idiot i see it always here: Programming:Keyboard scanning - CPCWiki

So,
G (Joy2 fire) T (Joy2 right) R (Joy2 left) 5 (Joy2 down) 6 (Joy 2 up

Devilmarkus

Here's the updated emulator:

Joypad 1 and other things: as my last posting
Joypad 2 is mapped to: HOME,END,DEL, PAGE DOWN (directions),  INSERT, PAGE UP (fire 1 and 2) (or alternatively also to number pad with num lock on)

I first wanted to map them to WASD, Q and E but as we know, many users have AZERTY keyboards...

You can also select keyboard mapping on the fly by using the menu...

BTW.: It also has lightgun emulation included... (Check F10 to select it)

Devilmarkus

Another small update (for those, who don't know what to do: build in cartridge OSD menu, just start the emulator, wait for screen and press space)

Phantomz

Three more from me today  :)

1. Dragon Ninja this will need a fix to get past the high score table.
2. Prehistorik, this is the normal version I believe, didn't see a high score table? Think GX4000 struggles with it abit, seems slow?
3. Rainbow Islands , saved the best until last.  8) Instruction Manual says " Push UP to increase credits during title screen " then Press Fire to start the game.  :D

Tested them all on my GX4000  ;D

dragon

Interview Elmsoft - NoRecess

In paperboy i fixed, menu keys, pause to pause Button in gx4000 and the esc key abandom ingame is remapped to button 2 joypad. High score table is fixed to fire 1 you only can entre p,but i can changue it to the keys i want. In all keys in keypad.

zeropolis79

May I suggest Overlander and Space Harrier along with Back to the Future 2 + 3 at some point please...

Many thanks

CraigsBar

Quote from: Phantomz on 18:48, 23 May 15
Three more from me today  :)

1. Dragon Ninja this will need a fix to get past the high score table.
2. Prehistorik, this is the normal version I believe, didn't see a high score table? Think GX4000 struggles with it abit, seems slow?
3. Rainbow Islands , saved the best until last.  8) Instruction Manual says " Push UP to increase credits during title screen " then Press Fire to start the game.  :D

Tested them all on my GX4000  ;D
rainbow islands I love it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 21:11, 23 May 15
May I suggest Overlander and Space Harrier along with Back to the Future 2 + 3 at some point please...

Many thanks
space harrier is there, I did it.

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 19:16, 23 May 15
Interview Elmsoft - NoRecess

In paperboy i fixed, menu keys, pause to pause Button in gx4000 and the esc key abandom ingame is remapped to button 2 joypad. High score table is fixed to fire 1 you only can entre p,but i can changue it to the keys i want. In all keys in keypad.

@dragon Thanks for doing Paperboy  ;)

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:46, 23 May 15
rainbow islands I love it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

@CraigsBar  I take it you like Rainbow Islands  :laugh: You're welcome mate, it's a great game and needed converting to thr GX4000.  ;)

arnoldemu

I tested a selection of these cprs on my "naked" 464plus. (no expansion, no modifications).

As expect all worked fine.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Phantomz

Quote from: arnoldemu on 19:06, 24 May 15
I tested a selection of these cprs on my "naked" 464plus. (no expansion, no modifications).

That's good to hear  :D , I think people test them before they get put up, I know I do.  ;)

@CraigsBar  I've done a better version of Rick Dangerous mate, I hope you don't mind if it gets replaced with my version?
@remax

I've done " Rick Dangerous (UK) (1989) (Trainer) (Patch CPC+). " Both Normal & Plus versions work and Trainer works fully on both.  8)

I've redone another version of " StormlordCorrections = Round 2, palette and CRTC reg.2 fixes (&2B en &2A) : NEW round 2 fix that makes all six fairies reachable.

I've also redone a different version of " Flying Shark " done this as it looks better as it's the CNGsoft version and has a trainer.

I've also done the CNGSoft version of " Nebulus " which includes a trainer.

I did one game today and that is " Frost Byte ", was to busy to do anymore.  ::)

Rick Dangerous and Stormlord and Flying Shark need replacing and Nebulus and Frost Byte needs adding to the wiki page.  ;D

CraigsBar

Just a thought.... As I have no clean way of creating RAR's on my mac (Other than using a VM and 7zip or WinRAR) woudl it be better if I just posted the CPR's here and let whoever upload to the wiki page? Or is whoever is changing my ZIPS to RAR's on the wiki page happy to keep on doing so?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:39, 24 May 15
That's good to hear  :D , I think people test them before they get put up, I know I do.  ;)

@CraigsBar  I've done a better version of Rick Dangerous mate, I hope you don't mind if it gets replaced with my version?
@remax

I've done " Rick Dangerous (UK) (1989) (Trainer) (Patch CPC+). " Both Normal & Plus versions work and Trainer works fully on both.  8)

I've redone another version of " StormlordCorrections = Round 2, palette and CRTC reg.2 fixes (&2B en &2A) : NEW round 2 fix that makes all six fairies reachable.

I've also redone a different version of " Flying Shark " done this as it looks better as it's the CNGsoft version and has a trainer.

I've also done the CNGSoft version of " Nebulus " which includes a trainer.

I did one game today and that is " Frost Byte ", was to busy to do anymore.  ::)

Rick Dangerous and Stormlord and Flying Shark need replacing and Nebulus and Frost Byte needs adding to the wiki page.  ;D
Of course I don't mind Rick Dangerous being updated. The objectis to have the best version available for all users isn't it? So if someone chooses to rewrite the whole of Rtype 128 and Rick Dangerous 128+ to be true cart games and work in 64k then they can be uplaoded too ;)

Hint hint - Challenge set!!

Craig

Does anyone know how we can set about converting Gauntlet, Deeper Dungeons and Gauntlet II, these would make great 2 player games for GX4000 owners, Especially if they got a colour patch.....

I guess that's a dream tho.

Craig

remax

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:54, 24 May 15
Just a thought.... As I have no clean way of creating RAR's on my mac (Other than using a VM and 7zip or WinRAR) woudl it be better if I just posted the CPR's here and let whoever upload to the wiki page? Or is whoever is changing my ZIPS to RAR's on the wiki page happy to keep on doing so?

Yeah post cprs ;)
Brain Radioactivity

dragon

My turn

I not fixed select music in new zeland history. I mean.¿Its really necesary?. You play with music in the original arcade machine..

And i not fixed select player 2 in gryzor. ¿its really necesary v2?. Player 2 need wait until player 1 finish there game. Not at the same time or at the finish or player 1 turn. So for me is the same playing two times with player 1 that 2 with player 1 and 2 so, at finish in the high score table you can put the name you want :) .

PD the trainer in new zeland history originally not work, he hide yout lives, buy you see the game over. Thats because  i  not adapt he.

andycadley

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:57, 24 May 15
Of course I don't mind Rick Dangerous being updated. The objectis to have the best version available for all users isn't it? So if someone chooses to rewrite the whole of Rtype 128 and Rick Dangerous 128+ to be true cart games and work in 64k then they can be uplaoded too ;)

Hint hint - Challenge set!!

If there was source code available, I reckon it wouldn't be that hard.

Does anyone know how we can set about converting Gauntlet, Deeper Dungeons and Gauntlet II, these would make great 2 player games for GX4000 owners, Especially if they got a colour patch.....

I presume they direct load from disk/tape for each level, so it's probably just a case of patching the loader to get data straight from ROM (in the same way most 128K games were just the 64K version patched to "load" the multiload levels from RAM.)

Phantomz

@CraigsBar
@remax

I've converted the CNGSoft version of " Gauntlet 2 ".

Both Players work so you can have some fun 2 player action, the bad news is that the potion buttons don't work as need the keyboard  :(
Don't think we will be able to fix it, as CNGsoft games are compressed, think this is the best available to us at the moment though.

Tip: remember to shoot the potions to kill the death's for now  :D

On a positive note, I've made the Trainer GX4000 friendly like normal so just push up for yes, then just press the console pause button ( P )
to refill both players health.  :D

dragon

Quote from: arnoldemu on 19:06, 24 May 15

Some works thanks to your help Arnold :).

CraigsBar

I had a look at chuckie egg last night but with a hex editor could not find any controls to mod. If this one gets patched i'd love to put a plus loading screen and music on it for a cart release. @Phantomz, you fancy working your magic on the controls if possible?