News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantomz

I've just done another game, Defender fans might like this one as it's a defender clone, it's " Defend Or Die ".

I've remapped all the controls as follows:

Joypad 1 Button 1 to Start Game
Joypad 1 Button 2 for Bombs
Joypad 2 Button 1 for Hyperspace
Joypad 2 Button 2 to Pause / Unpause
Console Pause Button to Reset Game

I mapped Pause / Unpause to joypad 2 button 2 instead of the pause button on the console as didn't want to map reset to button 2 as you might press it by accident whilst going to press button 1 for Hyperspace.  ;)

I haven't changed the onscreen prompts apart from the trainer as I can't find them to do so, but all the new controls work.

remax

Quote from: Phantomz on 13:24, 26 September 15
Just uploaded another game to the wiki page, this one is " Winter Games ".  :)

Played a full game yesterday with my girl, works like a charm  :)
Brain Radioactivity

mr_lou

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:39, 01 October 15
Just tried to play the CPR version of Pacmania that came on my CPC4 cart, and as soon as you start the game itself the tape relay inside the CPC starts clicking like mad! Anyone tested it on a 464 Plus or is it just mine?

Haven't been following this thread, but thought I'd just jump in and say that I've experienced this too with a few games on my CPC464+
Can't remember which ones though, but it's been more than one. Haven't tried the DSK version to see if there's a difference.

Phantomz

I watched " Let's Play Fruit Machine Simulator by The Oliver Twins released Feb. '88 " which they uploaded on youtube the other day so thought that I would convert it.

Link to the video here  ;)
Let's Play Fruit Machine Simulator by The Oliver Twins released Feb. '88

I've managed to convert the game and sort out all the controls  8)

This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, and has taken me a couple of days work to do on and off.

The main controls are space and return for the two key buttons, but pretty much every option had a new set of these buttons to be found, for example, return to enter coins is not the same as return to stop an option.
If you found return to stop one option, it would not be the same to stop another option.

This was also the case with cancel and nudge etc etc, anyway its all done now and plays very well on the console.

I had to do a lot of play testing to test all the options and controls work ok, which they do.  8)

The Controls might look hard at first, but they are pretty easy to use when you get used to them.  ;)

The Controls are as follows.....

Select number of Players 1 = Up, 2 = Left, 3 = Right, 4 = Down

Keys for Inserting Coins
------------------------
Insert Coin/s = £1 = Up, 50p = Left, 20p = Right, 10p = Down
Press Fire 1 when finished or Fire 2 to Reject coin/s.
Pause Button = Give Up (in multi-player game), Yes = Fire 1, No = Fire 2

If you give up you can't register on the HIGH-WINS table.
For the winner to register, press Fire 1 before inserting coins, and walk away.
Walk away, Yes = Fire 1, No = Fire 2

Each Player is Limited to puting in between 40p and £1.10 per turn.

Fire 1 = Feature Stop / Collect / Nudge
Fire 2 = Start / Gamble
Up = Stake Coin / Stake Nudge
Down = Cancel
Left = HOLD REEL 1, Up = HOLD REEL 2, Right = HOLD REEL 3

To enter your name in the High-wins table, you can press the console pause button for P then the dpad for number,
then Enter with Fire 1, So you could enter names as P1, P2, P3, P4 etc if you wish.

yurif74

Hello,
could someone update the full set archieve in the GX4000 converted page please? it starting to be outdated..
thanks

remax

Quote from: yurif74 on 12:45, 07 October 15
Hello,
could someone update the full set archieve in the GX4000 converted page please? it starting to be outdated..
thanks

Done
Brain Radioactivity

Gryzor

Quote from: remax on 08:38, 10 October 15
Done

Really, all of them? Whoa, thanks man!

Also, what with all these releases, I think the Like button is starting to show some wear...

remax

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:44, 10 October 15

Really, all of them? Whoa, thanks man!

Thank you, but nothing really new :D

It's been the fourth or fifth time i upload such a set... On approx a monthly basis (except this time i was a bit late).

And it's not a big deal in respect to all the big work the converter do!
Brain Radioactivity

Phantomz

I got some free time today, so finished a couple more games that I've been working on, these are " Professional Ski Simulator " and " Jet Bike Simulator ".

Professional Ski Simulator Instructions
-------------------------------------------

Joypad Fire 1 = Start 1 Player Game, Joypad Fire 2 = Start 2 Player Game
Up = Instructions, Left = Enter New Names, Right = Redefine Controls, Down = Enter ( for names )
Pause Button to Pause / Unpause
Default controls = Buttons 1 and 2 on Joypads for Left & Right, Down to Thrust
Default controls are left and right buttons, as need to hold left and right to plough
To enter your names, you can press the console pause button for P then the joypad button 1 or 2 for number,
then Enter with joypad down, So you could enter names as P1, P2, etc if you wish.

For " Jet Bike Simulator " I've remapped all the controls as you can't redefine in the game, I have remapped controls to both controllers / joysticks so that you can have two player games.

I've redone all on screens prompts / instructions too, this one took a lot of work like " Fruit Machine ".

Token

I wanted Pyjamarama, so I did it. Not sure about it.  :-\ But tested on a 6128+

fandenivoldsk

After reading about the homebrew H.E.R.O. CPC port in another tread, I was hoping that someone could convert it to .cpr

fandenivoldsk

Quote from: Phantomz on 16:10, 04 October 15
I've just done another game, Defender fans might like this one as it's a defender clone, it's " Defend Or Die ".

Excellent choice! Is it the same game as "Guardian 2, Revenge of the Mutants" from 1990?

Phantomz

Quote from: fandenivoldsk on 16:38, 13 October 15
After reading about the homebrew H.E.R.O. CPC port in another tread, I was hoping that someone could convert it to .cpr

I already converted this game, it on the wiki page  ;)

Converted GX4000 games - CPCWiki

Quote from: fandenivoldsk on 16:42, 13 October 15

Excellent choice! Is it the same game as "Guardian 2, Revenge of the Mutants" from 1990?

Defender or Die is a different Defender clone.

I've just got around to finishing another game that I've been working on." 3D Starfighter "

3D Starfighter Instructions

Joypad Fire 1 = Start 1 Player Game, Joypad Fire 2 = Start 2 Player Game
Pause Button = Redefine Controls ( I've already mapped all the controls to the joypads )
Pause Button = Shield
Pause / Unpause = Joypad 1 Fire 2

Phantomz

I've finished another game I've been working on, this one is " Grand Prix Simulator 2"

Instructions

Trainer Y=1 N=2, LEVEL = Joypad 1: 1U 2L 3R 4D Joypad 2: 5U 6L 7R 8D 9F1
Left, Up, Right to change a Player, Pause Button to Start
Should the driver be the computer? Joypad Fire 1 = Yes Joypad Fire 2 = No
Player 1 uses Joypad 1, Player 2 uses Joypad 2 (ignore the onscreen control graphics)
Fire 1 for Acceleration, Fire 2 for Brake / Reverse, Left and Right to Steer
Pause / Unpause with the Console Pause Button
After each race, press console pause button to continue or Joypad Fire 2 for Replay

I haven't changed the Trainer text as when I do, the computer cars bug out and don't drive around the track.  ???

The Trainer is fully working though.  ;)

Gryzor

So, how many till the complete ROMset is a *real* ROMset? :D

Phantomz

Anyone know the HEX numbers for the SHIFT keys and numpad keys?

Just says N/A in the Manual, just want the HEX numbers for firmware hacks   :)

Just need normal HEX number like 20 for space OD for Enter etc.  ;)

I've just finished another " Oliver Twins " game, this one is " Advanced Pinball Simulator ".  :)

I've sorted out all the controls and changed the onscreen instructions.  8)

I've included a poked version too which gives infinite balls, as I watched the oliver twins video on youtube and they said this game can be completed.

dragon

Phantomz

@dragon

Thanks for the above information.  :)

I'm still confused, I understand that I'm working in ascii code in a HEX editor, so when I change the Pause Button for SPACE I change 50 to 20 etc.

But I still don't know what the " SHIFT keys or Numpad Keys " are, what are they in ascii ? For example 1 to 9 are 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 etc

This can get confusing at times.  ::) :laugh:

What am I working in when Shift is 15 and the numpad keys are 0D 0E 05 14 0C 04 0A 0B 03  ??? or when SPACE = 2F ?

dragon

Depend how the video game is implemented.

Some games use the ascii table space=20

And some games use the amstrad keycodes number where keyboard space=2F=47 in decimal.

Probaly depends if the game use firmware routines or use direct hardware access.

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 12:55, 17 October 15
Depend how the video game is implemented.

Some games use the ascii table space=20

And some games use the amstrad keycodes number where keyboard space=2F=47 in decimal.

Probaly depends if the game use firmware routines or use direct hardware access.

That makes perfect sense, I understand that.  :D

I'm ok finding and changing the SHIFT keys and Numpad numbers when working in decimal, but not sure how to do it in ascii as don't know their char/numbers.  :blank:

dragon

0E/0F in the cpc manual the table code is the same.

Phantomz

I've just fixed a couple of Trainers on " Bubble Dizzy " and " Stormlord "

When I converted these games, I wasn't sure how to get the level select to work, so I changed them to Press Fire Button to continue, which loaded level 1.

I'm not sure if there are anymore I did like this, but If I find any, I'll try and sort out the level select option.  ;)

The Level Select is now working on both the above games, you can also press button 1 on joypad 2 to redefine the controls in stormlord as you might want jump on button 2.  ;)

Bubble Dizzy Stage Buttons: Joy 1 = 1 Up, 2 Left, 3 Right, 4 Down, Joy 2 = 5 Up, 6 Left, 7 Right, 8 Down

I've also done a new version of " Deliverance - Stormlord 2 " Press Console Pause Button four times to play without password, this has a New title screen from the C64 version.

Press Up to Redefine Controls if want to use button to jump

Token

Another one with Sir Lancelot  :D
(added pic and stuff, fire to quit hi-score)

zeropolis79

Quote from: Phantomz on 23:51, 16 October 15
Anyone know the HEX numbers for the SHIFT keys and numpad keys?

Just says N/A in the Manual, just want the HEX numbers for firmware hacks   :)

Just need normal HEX number like 20 for space OD for Enter etc.  ;)

I've just finished another " Oliver Twins " game, this one is " Advanced Pinball Simulator ".  :)

I've sorted out all the controls and changed the onscreen instructions.  8)

I've included a poked version too which gives infinite balls, as I watched the oliver twins video on youtube and they said this game can be completed.

It's here and on the wiki page now.  :D

It can be completed - I've done so!