News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

GOB

Just a remark. I find it unfortunate to use the second joystick for game 1 single player. Do you know that you can test at the same time directions and fire buttons? Instead, use combinations like: right+ fire2 law rather than the joystick 2 !!!

Phantomz

Quote from: GOB on 18:26, 20 September 16
Just a remark. I find it unfortunate to use the second joystick for game 1 single player. Do you know that you can test at the same time directions and fire buttons? Instead, use combinations like: right+ fire2 law rather than the joystick 2 !!!

I'm not a programmer, so I can only change the keys that I can find, every game is different so there isn't a simple way to change keys in games.

I understand what you are saying, but that would need the control system of the game/s to be rewritten not just remapped.

It's not a task that I can do, maybe you could do this to some of the games and improve the conversions ?

GOB

You don't have to remake the control system. Joystick keys are in the same PPI line. So the value you modify is juste the value of this line. By having 2 bits with 0 value, you can test 2 keys at same time.
I can help you if you want help ;)

Phantomz

Quote from: GOB on 15:39, 21 September 16
You don't have to remake the control system. Joystick keys are in the same PPI line. So the value you modify is juste the value of this line. By having 2 bits with 0 value, you can test 2 keys at same time.
I can help you if you want help ;)

I mainly work with a HEX editor so not to sure how to go about changing one key press to multiple key presses.

I work by changing one key, for example ( SPACE ) to  ( Joypad 1 Button 1 ) after I find it in winape, I change in a HEX Editor on Disc or cpr if uncompressed.

SPACE for example could be FE 20 or 3E 2F, or CB 7F or CB 7E or E6 80 or 05 80 these are just a few possibilities and that could just be for one place, like to pass a title screen etc, these I would change to FE 58, 3E 4C, CB 67, CB 66, E6 10, 09 10 for Joypad 1 Button one to replace the SPACE button.

How do I change these values in HEX to allow multi keys presses, for example, lets say space is 2F and Joypad 1 button 1 is 4C, what do I need to change the 2F to, if I want to replace it by UP and Joypad 1 Button 1 for example ? or isn't this possible with a HEX editor?

Maybe you could make " Renegade " single joypad / joystick friendly ?  ;D

GOB

Ok, so:

#FE,#20 seams to be a system test of a key... You cannot test multiple keys with that.

#CB,#7F seams to be a real test of the PPI. It test bit 7 of the line. And bit 7 of the keyboard line 5 is the space key. So you have to find were the A register is read and modify the line number to choose the line 9 and test joystick.

#CB,#7E test byte stack by HL register. Keyboard test code read keyboard and put it in a table. You must also find how it select the HL adr to modify it and select the right keyboard line.

For the #CB,#7F you can modify by a #cb,%11010111 to test fire 2+right joy for exemple :)

Phantomz

Here is another game, this one is " Super Pipeline II "

Joypad 1 Left = 1 Player, Right = 2 Players, Button 2 to Change amount of Lives, Button 1 to Play.

Pause the game with Joypad 1 Button 2, unpause with any key.

Press Joypad 1 Button 1 to pass high score table.

The game has a trainer, but I've included a version with the inbuilt cheat activated too.

Cheat version = Console Pause Button to increase score, Joypad 2 Button 1 to Skip Level, Button 2 to lose a life ( odd cheat  :laugh: ).

zeropolis79

Has anyone had problems running Super Off Road Racer and getting Exolon to start using the C4? I can't get Super Off Road Racer to load while I can't start a game on Exolon...

Many thanks.

dragon

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 08:11, 24 September 16
Has anyone had problems running Super Off Road Racer and getting Exolon to start using the C4? I can't get Super Off Road Racer to load while I can't start a game on Exolon...

Many thanks.

Super off-road load o.k in winape and arnold emu. The problem is in the original hardware?.

Whats the problem exactly?

arnoldemu

Quote from: dragon on 10:30, 24 September 16
Super off-road load o.k in winape and arnold emu. The problem is in the original hardware?.

Whats the problem exactly?
It could be the ram data contents at start up...
Where can I download them to check?

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Many thanks.
How far does it get with Exolon?
Do you see the questions about cheats?
Is it on the main menu and you can't start the game?
What is your C4 connected to? GX4000 or Plus?
Could there be a problem with the pause button on the gx4000? Maybe it's stuck?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Phantomz

Many thanks.

Are you using the latest version of " Exolon " from Converted GX4000 Software - CPCWiki  ?

If not, you might have a earlier version that is using joypad 2 for the main menu.

Some games are like this, it should tell you what the controls are for each game on the cpc wiki page.

I know the game works as I test the cpr's on my GX4000, where are you getting stuck ?

If you are using the lastest version on a plus machine, Joypad 1 Button 1 and 2 are used on the main menu, not 1 or 2 on the keyboard, remember these games are converted for the GX4000, not the plus machine as such, as a straight cpr could be made with no keyboard mapping required.  ;)

Update.
I've just tested " Super Off Road Racer " that was converted by @dragon and it loads and plays ok on my GX4000

zeropolis79

Super Off Road racer doesn't load, only resets the C4 directory..

Exolon - gets to main menu and thats it..

I'm using the C4 on a real 6128 Plus...the files are the ones that came with the cart..

Thanks

Phantomz

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 20:20, 24 September 16
Super Off Road racer doesn't load, only resets the C4 directory..

Exolon - gets to main menu and thats it..

I'm using the C4 on a real 6128 Plus...the files are the ones that came with the cart..

Thanks

The games might have came on the cart but they might be old versions.

Does " Exolon " have a Trainer? If not I believe it's the old version, use Joypad 2 for Menu options.

Get games from Converted GX4000 Software - CPCWiki for latest versions.  ;)

Like I said, I tested @dragon " Super Off Road " on my GX4000 and it ran fine, maybe download that from the wiki page above too.  ;)

zeropolis79

Thanks - I got the cart back in May for my now defunt 464 Plus but with my mothers sudden illness and subsquent death (during May/June), it got forgotten about until I got a 6128 Plus a few months later

dragon

So is in the cpc 6128 plus where super off road not load?.

I try tomorrow mount my cpc 6128 plus. And i tell you if ti works or not.

Phantomz

I've made another version of " Super Off Road :)

I tested @dragon version earlier and that works great on the GX4000  :)

I've made this new version as I wasn't keen on up and down for accelerate and brake, with the fire button being used for Nitro.

This new version is joypads only ( removed keyboard option ).

Super Off Road (Joypads)

Joypad Button 1 to Accelerate, Button 2 to Brake, UP for Nitro  ( both players ).

Push UP to Pass screens or Select Options in Shop.

Pause / Unpause with console pause Button.

zeropolis79

Tried a fresh download - no go on SOR but Exolon worked thanks..

Not tried the new Super Off Road Racer yet... but will download and try tomorrow thanks

zeropolis79

The new joypad edition of Super Off Road Racer works great thanks

Phantomz

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 14:56, 25 September 16
The new joypad edition of Super Off Road Racer works great thanks

Glad you've both games up and running now.  ;D

Here is another version of " Super Off Road " for you and anyone else that wants it.  ;)

Super Off Road ( Joypads & Keyboard )

It's the same as before, it uses both buttons on the joypad for accelerate and brake, with up being used for Nitro.

I've left keyboard support in this version though for PLUS users.  ;)

Press P to Pause / Unpause.

Press NITRO to pass screens or select options in shop, this is UP on Joypads or SPACE if selected keyboard control.  ;)

Phantomz

I've done a new version of " P-47 The Freedom Fighter ".

This new version has a Trainer. 

Trainer
Joypad 1 Button 1 for YES, Button 2 for NO.

LEVEL
Joypad 1: 1 = U, 2 = L, 3 = R, 4 = D
Joypad 2: 5 = U, 6 = L, 7 = R, 8 = D

Quit game with Console Pause Button.

This new version of the game also contains additional graphics which are displayed before loading levels 1, 3, 5, and 7.  :D

zeropolis79

Cool!

I'm still investigating putting text adventures onto cart images...

Skunkfish

If you can make them playable on a GX4000 I'll be extra impressed!  ;D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Phantomz

Here is another game, this one is " Impossamole ".

Joypad Only.

The game used the space bar for Super Weapon Attack, however the instructions state " Super Weapons: Only one per level. Use only as a last resort. " because of this I decided against remapping it to Joypad 1 Button 2 as felt it was a waste of that button.

I've remapped the Super Weapon Attack button to the Console Pause Button.

Joypad 2 Button 1 is now Pause / Unpause, with Joypad 2 Button 2 being used to Quit Game.

By default the game requires you to push up on the joystick / joypad to jump or climb, I've also remapped this to Joypad 1 Button 2, so you can now push up or button 2 to jump.  ;)

I've included a poked version with infinite energy.  8)

remax

Quote from: xenon on 07:58, 14 September 16
Hi :)

First, thanks again for your great work converting games :)

Will the full set on Converted GX4000 Software - CPCWiki be updated soon? :)

Regards,

Salva

Real life issues (work and daughter)... but i'm doing it at the moment.

@Phantomz : I've upped Impossamole while i was at it, but you might add the comment the next time you do a wiki edit.

I also added the few games dragon did convert... If he stays at the same rythym of release, i can handle the uploads, but if he goes back to full speed, someone else will have to do it.
Anyway, the games are untested by me.

Full set upped !
Brain Radioactivity